PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars vs spotting scope

joker70
05-25-2012, 8:58 AM
I want to be able to see where I miss the shoot-n-see at 50 and 100 yards:( I am looking at picking up cheap 10x50 binoculars form Big 5. Will these be good enough? What are the practical differences between binoculars and a spotting scope?

artoaster
05-25-2012, 9:09 AM
Movement. Holding binocs difficult compared to spotting scope/tripod unless you have a small tripod that binocs can attach to.

frankm
05-25-2012, 9:20 AM
Those binocs should work for 100 yards no problem.

onegtalon
05-25-2012, 9:27 AM
Keep in mind that most binocs don't have eye relief for use with shooting glasses. I got lucky and found a $17 pair at Big5 that has some eye relief so it works for me (some cheepo Hummer model).

milotrain
05-25-2012, 9:58 AM
Get a spotting scope. For the following reasons you'll want one eventually.

1. While binocs are fine for 100 yard shoot and see that makes them a pretty 1 trick pony.
2. Anything past 100 yards and you'll want a stand for support, binocs with a stand suck.
3. Setting up a scope in position so you don't break position when checking your shots is half the reason you have a scope, you can't do this with binocs.
4. As stated, eye relief will be a problem with binocs.
5. A stable platform also lets you observe bullet trace from behind another shooter, you can't do this with binocs.

Get this (http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html)
You won't regret it.

wjc
05-25-2012, 4:17 PM
Get a spotting scope. For the following reasons you'll want one eventually.

1. While binocs are fine for 100 yard shoot and see that makes them a pretty 1 trick pony.
2. Anything past 100 yards and you'll want a stand for support, binocs with a stand suck.
3. Setting up a scope in position so you don't break position when checking your shots is half the reason you have a scope, you can't do this with binocs.
4. As stated, eye relief will be a problem with binocs.
5. A stable platform also lets you observe bullet trace from behind another shooter, you can't do this with binocs.

Get this (http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html)
You won't regret it.
^^this^^

I'd also add if you get a spotting scope, get one with a long stand as well as the little tripod one.

I've found some fixed shooting benches are awkward with the scope, sandbags, firearm, etc. and other garbage. I often wish I had a longer stand so I could have the spotting scope between the benches.

baih777
05-25-2012, 5:22 PM
At big5
ask them if you can look across the street with them. They may ask for your dvr license. I tried a few and they were not clear. You may have better luck

Bigtwin
05-25-2012, 8:57 PM
I want to be able to see where I miss the shoot-n-see at 50 and 100 yards:( I am looking at picking up cheap 10x50 binoculars form Big 5. Will these be good enough? What are the practical differences between binoculars and a spotting scope?

I know it is cheap, but the Barska spottting scope is well worth it for your needs(mine as well), just punching paper at 100yds!
Far better than trying to look through binoculars!

Jeff L
05-25-2012, 9:56 PM
If I were getting another spotting scope, I'd get one with 45 degree eye piece. I like spotting scopes over binoculars. My 2 cents.

cebuvfr
05-25-2012, 9:59 PM
Spotting scope.

Turbinator
05-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I know it is cheap, but the Barska spottting scope is well worth it for your needs(mine as well), just punching paper at 100yds!
Far better than trying to look through binoculars!

Barska? Yuck! Tried one out for the 100 yard range, the optics were not clear at all.. I had better luck spotting through my rifle's scope compared to the $79 Barska from Big 5.

Now - this spotting scope:

Konus Konuspot 20-60x80mm Spotting Scope 7120

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html

Is it really a quality spotting scope at $229 and free S/H? I find that hard to believe...

Turby