PDA

View Full Version : Help me Decide: Shoot it or Not

TwinStick
05-25-2012, 8:55 AM
Alright, I recently picked up a Winchester 94 Centennial '66.

I had always planned to shoot any gun that I own regularly, but after inspecting this thing last night, I realized it's never been fired. It did come with the original box, but not the original box sleeve with all the artwork.

I paid about what it's worth unfired. Previously I thought I had overpaid, but seems I might have gotten a bit of a deal.

Anyway, should I shoot it? How greatly will this affect value? If one shot devalues the gun by 50% I might have second thoughts.

What say ye?

cannon
05-25-2012, 9:03 AM
Up to you but I won't buy/own a gun I can't shoot.

wsmc27
05-25-2012, 9:03 AM
Initialy sounds like a better collector piece then a regular shooter to me...that said, I am not familiar w values for the '94s.

A brand new un-fired piece may be of greater value to someone else? Perhaps a chance to make a few $$ and then get a regular shooting '94?

If you really like it, keep it for yourelf and enjoy it?

Just random ideas. :)

TwinStick
05-25-2012, 9:10 AM
It's worth between $700-$1,000 unfired. It's supposed to look like the Winchester 1866, though the action is based on post-1964. It has a heavy octoganal barrel. The receiver is gold plated (throwback to the brass "yellow boy" rifles) and the other hardware is brass. The bluing is perfect and like I said, it's unfired. I never intended to have a collector piece. It's not like it's worth thousands. Unless someone changes my mind, I think I'm just gonna shoot it.

Edit: They made something like 44,000 of these in 1966 only.

This is what it looks like:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/psheikes/10_1.jpg

shadowofnight
05-25-2012, 9:20 AM
If it's only worth 1,000 or less , I would keep it and shoot it.

If it was worth significantly more, I would sell it ...and buy something really nice I could shoot.

nastyhabts26
05-25-2012, 9:43 AM
If you bought it as an investment then by all means keep it in pristine condition.
If you bought it because you always wanted one and wanted to shoot it then load it up and shoot it.
As long as you take care of it and clean and lube it then it shouldnt take a huge hit if you decide to sell it off.

TROYSD
05-25-2012, 10:08 AM
its worth a lot more not fired to collectors

wsmc27
05-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Oooh looks nice, thx for the pic!

Ya, seeing that, if it was in my safe I think I'd keep 'er and enjoy the hell out of it.

;)

pennys dad
05-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Shoot it.
I got a mint condition 1903 and everyone told me, shoot it just dont clean it or alter it.

motorwerks
05-25-2012, 12:52 PM
shoot the **** out of it!!! :D

OneShotJohnny
05-25-2012, 2:22 PM
I suggest you have a baked potato for dinner

jmpgnr24k
05-25-2012, 2:38 PM
Dude! Shoot it!

TwinStick
05-25-2012, 2:52 PM
I knew I was leaning toward shooting and keeping it, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any real reasons why I shouldn't.

I realize it's worth more to a collector unfired, but I plan on keeping it so it doesn't really matter.

OneShotJohnny, I think I will have a baked potato for dinner.

vta
05-25-2012, 6:32 PM
Don't shoot it. There is a huge difference between unfired and mint. I would shoot a mint condition collectible but never an unfired collectible that is no longer made. Go buy an uberti yellow boy and shoot the hell out of that.

Divernhunter
05-26-2012, 10:16 AM
They made so many of those and the fact is that the other limited run rifles do not bring much, if any, more than a regular rifle. People use to bring rifles like that into the gun shop often thinking they had something worth big dollars only to find that they might as well use it as the value was not near what they thought. Plus you do not have all the stuff it came with new so that hurts the value.

Just use it as you would any other rifle.

HonkingAntelope
05-26-2012, 11:40 AM
If you do shoot it, make absolutely sure you give it a THOROUGH cleaning and check it out for rust and such before you hit the range. Better safe than sorry - especially with a gun that was never fired and sat in storage for 20+ years.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Since it's already devalued to some extent by the lack of the original box sleeve, I'd shoot and enjoy it.

vintagearms
05-26-2012, 11:50 AM
I knew I was leaning toward shooting and keeping it, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any real reasons why I shouldn't.

I realize it's worth more to a collector unfired, but I plan on keeping it so it doesn't really matter.

There is your answer. You bought it to shoot it and plan on keeping it, so do so.