View Full Version : Exotic Rounds - barrels and bores

05-25-2012, 6:53 AM
This thread is for any discussion about exotic rounds but my question is, is there a knowledgeable person here who can match different types of exotic rounds to smooth or rifled bores and barrel lengths in 12G, 2 3/4 length shells?

Im not saying i have or want exotic rounds, its discussion to further shotgun knowledge.

05-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Are you speaking of current or historical manufacture? Did you have something specific in mind?

05-28-2012, 8:00 PM
There are many available exotic rounds, like bolo, dragons breath, fleshette for example. Do these rounds differ in their needs for rifled or smooth bores and do the needed barrel lengths differ? Do they all need a smooth bore, at least 26 inches for example? My miniscule understanding of unconventional rounds is that they each have special needs, like a rifled bore, 18.5 inchs, while a different round needs smooth bore and a long barrel. So im trying to understand the field of exotic rounds and what the hardware requirements are.

05-28-2012, 8:48 PM

Like those

05-28-2012, 11:27 PM

Like those

I guess i know where im spending my money on nontox next! Prob an arm and a leg though

05-29-2012, 1:58 AM
ok i went searching, found these, which are what i mean

This started when i saw there are upteen youtube videos about exotic ammo but no discussion about what specifics of a shotgun were needed.

Everyday i see something new, like 12G tasers. Who knew?

06-04-2012, 4:06 PM

on sale... just ordered 50 monlit 32s

06-04-2012, 4:23 PM
Interesting. Hadn't seen armor piecing before for a shotgun. I saw blanks, but there are also flash rounds. 187db bang with a 2 million candle light flash.

I wonder what the long term affects on the barrel are using exotic rounds. Once in a while might be fine. But do these slowly damage the barrel over time?

06-04-2012, 7:53 PM
The shotgun is the living descendant of the Musket, it will shoot just about anything you can dream up that can fit down it's bore.

That should spark curiosity. I love shotguns for their amazing versatility and adaptability. By damage your barrel what do you mean? Explosive does not explode till impact, bladed slugs do not extend till impact, sabot discards a plastic carrier after exiting the barrel, don't shoot slug out of a full choke (duh), flechette is the same as the sabot rounds and the flechette carrier discards after exiting barrel, AP is usually flechette (hardened tungsten penetrator darts that can punch through vests), and Dragons Breath I could see eroding the barrel over time because it is hot and ignites in the barrel.

Chokes are for birds. Everything besides shot usually requires a smooth bore barrel with no choke. Rifled slugs and exotic slugs designed for rifled barrels not withstanding.