PDA

View Full Version : Dumb FAL questions...

deadcoyote
05-25-2012, 7:33 AM
I'm finally going to buy a FAL, have wanted one since I was a child and my uncle had a beautiful FN Belgian made original. decided on DSA, and am seeking ways to skirt their evil welded magazine issue. I was hoping someone could enlighten me here, isn't the barreled upper receiver the part that has to be DROS'd on a FAL, not the lower??

SFSig
05-25-2012, 8:19 AM
I'm not sure about the DROS deal, but I just bought one from Atlantic Firearms, but unfortunately it was their last one (in the standard config). They may have a para or other variation available. They shouldn't be "CA" models. Anyway, I read that DSA dropped the CA fixed mag/stripper clip version, but you'd need to verify that - just read it somewhere on the internet I remember... There are FAL's for sale in some of the forum marketplaces too I've seen...

crazychinaman
05-25-2012, 8:44 AM
I'm finally going to buy a FAL, have wanted one since I was a child and my uncle had a beautiful FN Belgian made original. decided on DSA, and am seeking ways to skirt their evil welded magazine issue. I was hoping someone could enlighten me here, isn't the barreled upper receiver the part that has to be DROS'd on a FAL, not the lower??

Yes ,the upper is the serial numbered part.I had a guy at Turners told me that the lower was the serial number.What a yo yo.

cabinetguy
05-25-2012, 1:07 PM
they make bullet button type mag locks for the FAL so you dont need to pin the mag in place

deadcoyote
05-25-2012, 1:38 PM
they make bullet button type mag locks for the FAL so you dont need to pin the mag in place

I'm aware, but DSA ships them to CA with a mag welded in place! One of my local shops has a permit to sell AW, I'm hoping they could order me the non-buggered version then install bullet button in house. I could get a Century Arms FAL sent in with BB installed, but that seems like an $800 craps shoot. Also, I'm a little leary of Enterpise. A quick googling provides both glowing reviews and horror stories, so I guess I'd rather just spend a couple hundred more on a DSA.

1911su16b870
05-25-2012, 7:11 PM
For the past 6 months I've been working on and putting FALs together. IMO featureless is the way to go.

The barrel screws directly into the receiver and you must make sure it "clocks" correctly regarding headspace and sight alignment. You have a few thousanths of play regarding headspace with different size locking shoulders, but the front sight to rear sight alignment needs to be on.

The lowers are not controlled. You can own as many as your wallet can afford.

Best resource so far has been Falfiles, Arizona Response Systems website and Enterprise gun smiths.

Based on the OP, I would seek out a matching Belgian parts kit, but they are spendy...in the thousands $-ish, if you can find one. There are some beautiful complete parts kits out there.

Sarco has Argy kits and gunthings has G1/Turkish kits in the $500 range.

A friend of mine lent me his Enterprise STG58 rifle and no problems at all! It is an awesome rifle. You can build these guys featureless and Solar Tac has kydex grip wraps and you are GTG.

I had the opportunity to work with a Century C1A1 build and also the rifle was awesome and accurate.

I've put two rifles together now (STG58 and L1A1) from parts kits on Enterprise receivers...and it definitely takes some work and time and non-standard garage tools. The Enterprise guys helped me all along the way with my builds.

Of value would be to compile a FAL build checklist...as parts are kind of hard to find right now and I always seem to be forgeting one or another part and that is where ARS has been the saving parts source!

Enjoy it...they are so cool...the FAL takes a similar bolt lockup action from the FN49 and Ljungman.

Holescreek
05-25-2012, 7:35 PM
Apex gun parts just re-released some of their Metric FAL (G1) kits this week. They say that half of their stock is already sold. These are all Belgium guns that were sold to Turkey. I built an early model B and a G1 from kits in their first release two years ago.

Here's what you can build with the G1 kit:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Holescreek/FAL/G1FALfiinished004.jpg?t=1337809578

Richard Erichsen
05-25-2012, 8:32 PM
Enjoy it...they are so cool...the FAL takes a similar bolt lockup action from the FN49 and Ljungman.

It also has a lot of similarities to the design of the SVT-40, minus the chamber flutes.

R

Richard Erichsen
05-25-2012, 8:33 PM
Apex gun parts just re-released some of their Metric FAL (G1) kits this week. They say that half of their stock is already sold. These are all Belgium guns that were sold to Turkey. I built an early model B and a G1 from kits in their first release two years ago.

Here's what you can build with the G1 kit:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Holescreek/FAL/G1FALfiinished004.jpg?t=1337809578

I liked it the first time you showed over on Weaponsguild (or was it FALfiles?). That's a beaut of a G1.

R

Turbinator
05-25-2012, 8:57 PM

I'm not sure if you meant to ask this in your query, but I just wanted to help clarify. The magwell is in the upper (the serial #'ed part), not the lower.

Multiple lowers wouldn't help you do anything about your mag configuration.

Turby

Holescreek
05-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I liked it the first time you showed over on Weaponsguild (or was it FALfiles?). That's a beaut of a G1.

R

The G1 is the ugly sister of the Model B but since the B kits are all gone now there's no sense in rubbing it in. If you're thinking of building now's the time to get the kits while they're still available. You can acquire a receiver later.

Both my builds were done on Entreprise receivers from a group buy on FALfiles. I had to return one of the receivers due to some bad flaws in the metal and incomplete machining and I ended up having to do some metal finishing on the "good" ones to make them presentable. During the year and a half wait for Entreprise to machine the receivers Coonan came out with much better Type 1 receiver. If I were going to build another, I'd go with Coonan.

hammerhands32
05-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Edited for better directions

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=159059

Obviously a Plant
05-26-2012, 12:28 AM
You don't need to spend a bunch of money or time to get your rifle in parts, the DSA "fix" is nothing that cannot be undone.
Mine came with a spot of slag the size of a wooden match head in the middle of the channel (above the pin) that the catch moves into when you want to release the mag.

I separated the upper from the lower, removed the screw that secures both the bolt hold-open and the mag catch, and carefully removed the catch with its spring.

At this point I could see the slag, and used a very small (>1/4") file to remove it, as my Dremel wouldn't fit. I tested the function without replacing the BHO and then reassembled the small parts, leading the screw with a paper-clip to tension the hold-open spring.

Honestly, putting the rifle back together is more complicated than the work that requires it. Knowing what all the parts do is worth the time spent. A new top cover and mag-catch cost very little. PRK makes a functional BB, but the finish quality is not to my liking. A "featureless" with muzzle break and grip-wrap is a great way to go with these rifles.

Ford8N
05-26-2012, 8:38 AM
Just flip the valve to grenade and pull out the piston and spring. It works just fine as a bolt action/single shot. Takes just a few seconds to convert back to a semiauto when you visit a free state.

Tuspejo
05-26-2012, 11:28 AM
a few months ago i ordered a dsa stg58 through a local gun shop. it was not the sa58 california version so it did not have a welded magazine. the gun shop was going to install the BB they sell on the website prior to my pick up. 13 days later DSA dropped the ball and apparently never even had the STG58s in stock and no ETA. I didnt want an SA58 so i got my money back.
I now have a PreBan Argentinian LSR all matching numbers which i have put at least 300 rounds through no problem.
I suggest you find a Gun shop which will do the same for you on a DSA rifle, or better yet find a parts gun which was assembled by any reliable builder (not DSA, Century or even enterprise) their recievers are good just mkae sure the builder is reliable. it will be alot cheaper as well.
my next fal i will be building my self just have to aquire the fal specialty tools.

i hope this helps.

alot more info on the falfiles forums.

Root66
05-26-2012, 5:57 PM
For the past 6 months I've been working on and putting FALs together. IMO featureless is the way to go.

A FAL without features is like a kiss without a moustache. :D

Tank 57
05-27-2012, 1:16 AM
Just flip the valve to grenade and pull out the piston and spring. It works just fine as a bolt action/single shot. Takes just a few seconds to convert back to a semiauto when you visit a free state.

Don't think this is legal or good advise.

freonr22
05-27-2012, 1:34 AM
Had not heard good things about enterprise....

deadcoyote
05-27-2012, 6:22 AM
Sorry it took awhile to get back, had discovered Fal files. Seems like some affordable fal's in their classifieds. Oh well, hopefully they'll grant me some posting priviledges soon!

1911su16b870
05-27-2012, 11:00 AM
A FAL without features is like a kiss without a moustache. :D

Depends if you want a SLR to run pre-ban normal FAL magazines, or simply remove the gas piston and spring and run it single shot with all the features.

Root66
05-27-2012, 1:53 PM
Current production 10-round mags and a bullet button...retains the classic look.

send it_hit
05-27-2012, 1:54 PM
good choice on the DSA. that's definitely on my list of future purchases. FAL's are awesome weapons.

good luck!