View Full Version : Remmy 700 .308 - Stock Questions

05-24-2012, 11:33 PM
I recently bought a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and the Hogue stock is something I can definitely see myself replacing...

I'm trying to figure out if an entry level rifle like this can really take advantage of something as high end as the AISC / AX AISC chassis system, or am I just waisting my money thinking about something like this for a factory rifle?

The ultimate goal would be to eventually build myself a custom rig with a nice action and barrel, but I need to take it once step at a time.

Looking for some bolt gun guru wisdom here.

05-25-2012, 12:05 AM
A solid stock will provide a huge improvement over the Hogue junk the SPS comes with. Basic smith work will finish up the rest. E.g., Mark Gordon from Short Action Customs (SAC) offers a 'SPS Package' to true and accurize the rifle for $700. The cost will add up fast even for a 2 step like that ... $600 rifle + $700 smithing + $100 shipping + $900 chassis = $2,300. And you're stick stuck with a mediocre Rem factory barrel.

When my roommate was looking to get into a bolt action, I helped me snag a local sale on a GAP Rock for $2,000 even -- unusual killer deal but they do exist if you're patient.

Within the price range of the AICS, I would also look into other styles like the McCrees, KRG W3C and XLR. The ergonomics are very hit-or-miss. If you really like classic stock contours, you can't beat a Manners with Mini-chassis.

05-25-2012, 12:18 AM
AICS is great. But it is heavy. Good thing is, there is no bedding, no fitting, just unscrew your Rem700, and screw it onto the AICS, 15min later, you are DONE!

You can put your Rem700 factory onto the AICS now, and then after you are done with your Rem700, you can then move onto a more "custom" action.... (that are still Rem700 compatible) and you can just unscrew and screw that right in the same AICS.

Talking about step-by-step..... both my V1 and V2 helped me grew as a shooter..... each of them have more than couple thousands rounds thru them.....

Mine, Ver1, w/ factory Rem700 PSS:

Mine, Ver2, w/ factory Rem700 5R:

Mine now, Ver3, w/ Stiller's TAC30:

05-25-2012, 1:17 AM
I'm getting MOA with my Remington 700. Only mods are an AICS stock, Timney trigger, Vortex PST plus I am handloading. Yes, I think you'll see a difference, the advantage to free floating is huge.

05-25-2012, 6:27 AM
A bolt-on stock for something like the Remington 700 can be used for subsequent builds since the only thing that needs to remain the same is the shape of the action bolted into it. I don't know about your Tactical, but my Varmint was capable on day 1 of shooting sub-moa with the even more flimsy stock -- ammo selection is huge. I have yet to see the advantage that changing out to the B&C adjustable Medalist got me, but later on when I rebarrel I don't have the stock purchase to make as well all in one go.

05-25-2012, 7:15 AM
B&C or an HS on the low end. (Still offer great accuracy advantages)

Mcmillan or Manners on the high end.

I own 4 Mcmillans and can't say enough good things. Customer service is awesome as well.

I'm just not into the chassis stocks. They're mostly just fancy looking stocks that are usually heavier and less comfortable for most people. I would highly suggest some trigger time behind a AI stock or similar before making the purchase.

Short Action Precision
05-25-2012, 7:43 AM
Like DirtRacer said best to try and get behind a few different ones and see which one fits you better.

05-25-2012, 8:47 AM
On a budget, the Choate Tactical stock is another option:

Non adjustable-

The only real negative I can see with these stocks is the weight, they are heavier than most other Remmy stocks by a decent margin. They are however extremely durable and use a full length aluminum bedding block that extends the length of the forend. The V bedding system also yeilds some nice accuracy improvements over most factory stocks.

05-25-2012, 8:53 AM
Here is mine. I love the AICS. If you like the looks and feel, you really cant go wrong. That being said, shoot one first to make sure you like it.

05-25-2012, 9:34 AM
Get this. (http://www.gotxring.com/tactical/)

05-25-2012, 2:18 PM
Get this. (http://www.gotxring.com/tactical/)

Nice.... I can never find the Eliseo tube chassis for sale anywhere. I think you need to be part of some special club or something. I bet theres a secret handshake involved as well.

05-25-2012, 2:30 PM
No need to spend the big bucks unless you are going with a total custom build. While the AX stock is super nice, it is also $1400 alone.

My old trusty R700 would shoot .3 MOA (on a good day). Total price about $2000 including the rifle itself. Just add a trigger, stock & glass and you got yourself a nice shooter.

If you are going to be dropping a couple thousand on this rifle, it better be shooting sub half moa at least.

05-25-2012, 3:41 PM
Nice.... I can never find the Eliseo tube chassis for sale anywhere. I think you need to be part of some special club or something. I bet theres a secret handshake involved as well.

nope, just have to give him a call and jump into the queue

05-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Yeah, you just call Gary directly and he makes you one. OP is in socal so he might even be able to take it to Gary and have him do the mounting.

05-29-2012, 9:07 PM
Jicko that looks like RD's work.

ExtremeX, prior purchasing an AICS it is highly recommended a trial fit; thumbhole stocks are not for everyone.

As an entry level stock I would consider the HS precision stock, it is the same stock that came with the Remington PSS, fairly rigid, good ergonomics and has an aluminum bedding block. May be found used for ~300

A similar stock (w/adjustable pull) is used on the M24.

05-29-2012, 9:38 PM
I figured I would like the thumbhole stock... Everything I have is some form of a pistol grip. I find them a lot more comfortable than traditional rifle stocks.

Ill try to find one and check it out before I made any decisions.

05-30-2012, 9:23 AM

I really like McMillan stocks and Manners stocks as well. The prices are realistic (IMO) and although I'm not familiar with Manners customer service, based on McMillan's customer service they will be making my next stock.

Manners makes a nice thumbhole and McMillan makes several.

Good luck!

06-09-2012, 3:40 PM
before we start talking about how expensive aics is, lets not forget most stocks don't have bottom metal with them. so thats another $150-200, plus installation. just something to keep in mind. installs usually run around 50-100

06-09-2012, 5:49 PM
McMil, and AICS stocks are badd*** However when I did my build (.308vtr) that pricerange was out of the question. My budget did not allow me to get fancy. Instead I added 5.5lbs of lead shot to the factory (pos) vtr stock and glassed it in. Gave the rifle a perfect balance, after bedding it. The rifle is rock solid and can shoot an extremely consistent .41inch groups @100 and .85inch @200 with 168fgmm. Is it ideal.. No is it my dream chasis.. Heck no.. Just don't jump into a chasis tell your sure the right one. And for the time being, 100 bucks and a little work you can have yourself a shooter. :)