PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Corwin Case May 9, 2007

abcdefg987
05-09-2007, 4:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your interest in, and contributions to, Matthew Corwin’s defense.

We have been working diligently to contest all of the charges, and have been particularly focused of late demonstrating the invalidity the 1919 related charges (5 counts of illegal importation, 1count of illegal possession) to the DA with the ATF and Cal DOJ approval letters we provided.

These are the charges that primarily resulted in bail being posted so high.

We are now happy to say that we expect the DA to move to drop at least those 1919 counts, hopefully as soon as tomorrow.

With these counts dismissed, we hope to have Matthew out on bail, or OR, within a few days.

We can then focus on the remaining counts – several of which involve the OLL / “detachable” mag issue.

Thank you again for your interest and assistance.

C. D. Michel

Managing Partner
TRUTANICH-MICHEL, LLP
Attorneys at Law
Los Angeles Office
180 East Ocean Blvd., Suite 200
Long Beach, CA 90802
Phone: 562-216-4441
Fax: 562-216-4445
Email: cmichel@tmllp.com
Gun law info: www.calgunlaws.com

shark92651
05-09-2007, 4:39 PM
This is great news! Thanks for the update and hopefully Matt will be in much more comfortable surroundings very soon.

rkt88edmo
05-09-2007, 4:40 PM
Note to all. Same rules as before, speculation is of no help to Matt, and keep it on topic.

6172crew
05-09-2007, 4:44 PM
Let me be the first to say that we as gun owners welcome you to Calguns and your service is important to us all.

Thanks again!

We have been working diligently to contest all of the charges I like this part! things sound good to me!

USMC_2651_E5
05-09-2007, 4:49 PM
Keep up the good work!

Technical Ted
05-09-2007, 4:51 PM
Note to all. Same rules as before, speculation is of no help to Matt, and keep it on topic.
I will speculate that BWO is looking forward to a decent meal.

rkt88edmo
05-09-2007, 4:54 PM
Hee Haw, Hee Haw, Hee Haw

Damn you Ted...I'll have to agree to that one.

383green
05-09-2007, 5:00 PM
Welcome to the board, good luck to Mr. Corwin, and give 'em hell!

Jicko
05-09-2007, 6:16 PM
Hurray!!

We should organize a LA-welcome_home-get-together for BWO!!

We'll buy anything he wants to eat or drink!! Sushi and Sake... anyone?

Dump1567
05-09-2007, 8:20 PM
Good to here.

http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_beer.gif

daves100
05-09-2007, 8:27 PM
great news , Hope to see BWO out real soon

oaklander
05-09-2007, 8:44 PM
Excellent!

tenpercentfirearms
05-09-2007, 9:25 PM
I think it would be better if we waited to have his party. The temptation to talk about the case with all of us around might not be a good idea.

As soon as he is in the clear, we need to organize a shoot and after shoot dinner/reception.

69Mach1
05-09-2007, 9:28 PM
Thank you everyone for your interest in, and contributions to, Matthew Corwin’s defense.

We have been working diligently to contest all of the charges, and have been particularly focused of late demonstrating the invalidity the 1919 related charges (5 counts of illegal importation, 1count of illegal possession) to the DA with the ATF and Cal DOJ approval letters we provided.

We are now happy to say that we expect the DA to move to drop at least those 1919 counts, hopefully as soon as tomorrow.

With these counts dismissed, we hope to have Matthew out on bail, or OR, within a few days.

We can then focus on the remaining counts – several of which involve the OLL / “detachable” mag issue.

Thank you again for your interest and assistance.

C. D. Michel

Managing Partner
TRUTANICH-MICHEL, LLP
Attorneys at Law
Los Angeles Office
180 East Ocean Blvd., Suite 200
Long Beach, CA 90802
Phone: 562-216-4441
Fax: 562-216-4445
Email: cmichel@tmllp.com
Gun law info: www.calgunlaws.com

Thank you for the update. I wish I could have been in the room when you presented the letters. It's unbelievible they couldn't figure it out for themselves. Keep up the great work.

dotchoy
05-09-2007, 9:54 PM
Great news!!! Keep up the good work.

brownie168
05-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Welcome and thanks kindly for the update.

alamosaddles
05-10-2007, 7:27 AM
Question, if I may ask it, and if it is not innapropriate to ask here at this time...

After all is said and done, if charges get dumped, is Mat entitled to file civil suit for damages to recoup financial expenses etc?

proraptor
05-10-2007, 8:38 AM
This is awesome....Good news!

hoffmang
05-10-2007, 10:37 AM
alamo,

Matt may have federal counter claims but they are not neccessarily easy to win.

-Gene

duenor
05-10-2007, 12:21 PM
THUMBS UP SIR! Help get our brother out!

naimad
05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Let me be the first to say that we as gun owners welcome you to Calguns and your service is important to us all.

Thanks again!

We have been working diligently to contest all of the charges I like this part! things sound good to me!

BIG +1 ON THAT :)

spgk380
05-10-2007, 1:48 PM
So basically we just have a fixed mag OLL case now? These have typically been dropped in the past, if I understand correctly. However, if the DA continues to press charges then we should be in a very good position to make this our ideal test case we were waiting for. Seems like BWO is about as upstanding an individual as you can ask for---especially since he was a student leader and was in the military.

If his lawyers say that the DA is charging him with unregistered AWs even though the mags were certainly fixed w/ a bullet button or Mag-lock, then I think we should dig deep. Everybody on this forum who has an OLL has no excuse not to pitch in at least $100 in that instance..... after all, if he looses, what good is your $1500 rifle? If 1000 people on this forum have OLLs, than right there we're at $100,000 which is enough to fight it very seriously, I believe.

Let the $$$ flow

SLYoteBoy
05-10-2007, 3:09 PM
Thank you. Keep fighting the good fight.

Jicko
05-10-2007, 7:17 PM

Did it happen?? Any updates?

Mark_in_Pasadena
05-10-2007, 7:22 PM
Did it happen?? Any updates?

Yeah, today is the tenth....

ivorykid
05-10-2007, 7:32 PM
http://www.ivorykid.com/temp_img/excellent.jpg

proraptor
05-10-2007, 9:13 PM
I hope they drop those 1919 charges

Nefarious
05-11-2007, 5:16 AM
I hope they drop those 1919 charges

along with all of the other charges :D

Wulf
05-11-2007, 5:39 AM
along with all of the other charges :D

...and issue a nice apology, cover his legal costs, and cut him a check for a couple grand a day in damages for each day they had him locked up. ;)

leelaw
05-11-2007, 7:19 AM
...and issue a nice apology, cover his legal costs, and cut him a check for a couple grand a day in damages for each day they had him locked up. ;)

...and school fees for the college he is restricted from setting foot on again, among others.

dotchoy
05-11-2007, 7:38 AM
Anything new???

ChrisSig
05-11-2007, 5:18 PM
What's the latest??!!!!

blacklisted
05-11-2007, 5:35 PM
Monday is his court date.

OldWestGambler
05-12-2007, 7:30 AM
deleted heresay

Jicko
05-12-2007, 8:03 AM
deleted heresay

Jicko
05-12-2007, 9:53 AM
Why? I have wondered why the big "shhh" about configurations whenever a OLL case comes up. The DA knows how they are configured because they have the guns already.

CW

Becuz, people speculate, people judge, people throw in their opinion what is legal and what is not (but none of them is a judge or a lawyer), people may say which configuration is MORE legal than the other, etc....

It is basically none of your business how his rifles are configured....as the case is still progressing.... you are NOT the DA, you are not his lawyer, and you are not him....

BWO is still not out yet, so, anyone who "post" about how his rifles are, is definitely 2nd hand info.... no one know whether they are 100% accurate or not... so, why speculate!?

When the time comes, when BWO is out and get all charges against him dropped, I bet he will post all the info about his experience... and then we can all talk about it then.... just NOT now... :mad:

jdberger
05-12-2007, 9:54 AM
Why? I have wondered why the big "shhh" about configurations whenever a OLL case comes up. The DA knows how they are configured because they have the guns already.

CWBecause things that you say and misconceptions that you may have can be used as evidence. You also don't give the other side your game plan and make life easy for them.

Trials are time constrained affairs, both sides only offer the opinions that they think are important. Thus, they might miss something or may have incompletely thought out a line of attack. Postulating, extrapolating and pontificating on this forum, while it may massage your own ego, possibly gives the other side plenty of more weapons to attack our guy.

BWO isn't some ordinary schmuck that we are all detachedly curious about, he's one of ours and the successful outcome of his case impacts us, too.

So, to answer your original question, the reason the "elders" on this forum are remaining mum and the reason that details have been sketchy, is to limit the potential negative impact of the chattering classes.

hoffmang
05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Two points here.

1. I do not actually know how his OLL's are configured and I do not want to know until after this is over or after either side files something that shows some evidence. I, nor any of the rest of you wish to be dragged into this as someone to have evidence.

2. However, I do know a couple of things. The charges have a certain wackyness to them that brings reasonable doubt to all the charges. That in addition to the fact that the makes and models off his off list rifles are off list leads me to believe - combined with what I know of the man (and this is where you enter the twilight zone) that he had them legally configured.

I know other people who are of the opinion (and the wallet to defend themselves) that the passage of AB2728 and the various RR/SB23 stupidity of late means that they have very strong affirmative defenses even if they might not be in compliance. I do not think you should roll this way until after those cases have been heard.

I expect this case is not that. I suspect its even simpler and the Magistrate who issued the warrant is going to have some egg on his face, but I don't know all the facts and speculation beyond the above is pretty useless.

-Gene

eta34
05-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Well, this is from a mod, so please stop the speculation. Thanks.

And again, there is no such thing as "more legal" or "less legal." It is either legal or illegal.

krazek
05-12-2007, 12:23 PM
deleted useless

cant we just all get along? :o

We're trying to support BWO as calguns family. So lets be patient, pray hard, and see what happens :)

EricCartmann
05-12-2007, 12:54 PM
tag for monday.

OldWestGambler
05-12-2007, 2:25 PM
I thought we are NOT supposed to talk about how his guns were configured!

Also, what are you talking about? Prince50/Bullet-Button/Sport-conv, these are ALL "fixed mag" approach, according to the law.

There is no way to avoid potential problems.... the only way to, is.... get rid of your OLL or... maybe NOT build it, and keep your OLL stripped.... since if they can file BS charges like "semi-auto 1919" as "machine guns".... then they can charge you "anything".... all bets are off.... :mad:

You're right. I missed the request earlier when I typed my question. Scratch that. I hope Matt is free soon!

OldWestGambler
05-12-2007, 2:33 PM
[QUOTE=krazek;609178]cant we just all get along? :o

Yeah, I know. We're family on here.

KDOFisch
05-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm on a plane tomorrow until about 11:30. Let's all hope and pray for good news. - please. It'll be great to finally hear some good news in this state.

:)

Jicko
05-14-2007, 9:05 AM
Anyone going to his hearing? (Altho it is believed that attending his "Bail Reduction Hearing" may be more useful, yet some may attend both....)

daves100
05-14-2007, 11:22 AM
any update yet, Hope today he is a free man...........

Whitesmoke
05-14-2007, 11:30 AM
any update yet, Hope today he is a free man...........

:toetap05:

Smokeybehr
05-14-2007, 12:50 PM
We're all waiting with baited breath on the outcome of today's hearing... We're dying from the thirst for information about our brother.

proraptor
05-14-2007, 1:08 PM
Man Im going crazy waiting for the results....

thedrickel
05-14-2007, 1:56 PM
No updates on his inmate info page.

spgk380
05-14-2007, 1:59 PM
No updates on his inmate info page.

Can you post the link to that page please?:wheelchair:

Is it just this? http://app4.lasd.org/iic/ajis_search.cfm

Whats the deal? Are courts even open past 5:00 PM??

WolfMansDad
05-14-2007, 2:13 PM
The hearing was apparently scheduled for this afternoon, and I don't think there are any results yet to post. We should know something in a few hours.

AW-FANATIC
05-14-2007, 8:22 PM
I see they have changed the bail on his inmate info page to 120,000 dollars. Something got done today. Does anybody have any more info?

spgk380
05-14-2007, 8:25 PM
I see they have changed the bail on his inmate info page to 120,000 dollars. Something got done today. Does anybody have any more info?

Well, I guess that means that they dropped the 1919 charges as planned, but not the AW charges. :44:

Thats at least a minor victory for 1919 owners.:36:

Also, the bail reduction hearing must be set for 5/22....Ugh, that means he has to sit in there for another week.

WolfMansDad
05-14-2007, 8:41 PM
Here is the update on Matt's case. All six of the 1919 charges were withdrawn, but the rest remain. Pleas on the remaining six charges were again postponed for two weeks. Matt is still in jail.

There will be a bail reduction hearing on Tuesday, May 22.

C.G.
05-14-2007, 8:43 PM
That is unfortunate, I was hoping they would drop all of them.

Thank you for the update, even if it isn't as favorable as everyone hoped.

jmlivingston
05-14-2007, 9:02 PM
That's good news, they've dropped 1/2 the charges against him! That's a great start, even though there's still a long ways to go. It also looks like bail is down a third from what it was, hopefully within an amount that's reasonable to post.

John

Jicko
05-14-2007, 9:15 PM
So, all 1919 is dropped, 6 others remains:
1) Possession of an AW: Model MK 991 Caliber 7.62
2) Possession of an AW: Model FAR-15 Caliber 5.56
3) Possession of an AW: Model Gator, AR-15 Caliber Mult
4) Possession of a deadly weapon: Shuriken, 4 Bladed Throwing Star
5) Possession of a deadly weapon: SAP Gloves
6) Receiving Stolen Property

We know that 4, 5, 6 are pretty BS by nature..... and 1, 2, 3.... they ARE OLLs..... so 1, 2, 3 should be dropped too.... it would be damn if at the end, all they've got is 4, 5, 6 and they still want to prosecute him....

May God be with BWO.... $ and prayer to him!

brownie168
05-14-2007, 9:15 PM
Thanks for 1/2 of the good news...

daves100
05-14-2007, 10:33 PM
what is OLL ?

E Pluribus Unum
05-14-2007, 10:44 PM
what is OLL ?

Offensive Logistical Launcher...

It is used to launch things like patriot missiles et cetera.

http://www.thumbwave.com/d652ada/photos/Launcher.jpg

Jicko
05-14-2007, 10:44 PM
what is OLL ?

:xeno: <- I finally get to use this smiley!! I has been waiting!!!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

CALI-gula
05-14-2007, 10:47 PM
:xeno: <- I finally get to use this smiley!! I has been waiting!!!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

A search on OLL? That might just take you directly back to the Calguns "HOME" page.

Firehawk3
05-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Offensive Logistical Launcher...

It is used to launch things like patriot missiles et cetera.

http://www.thumbwave.com/d652ada/photos/Launcher.jpg

lol... love the creativity

Solidsnake87
05-14-2007, 11:25 PM
So what would happen if his rifles have pinned mags and so on and he was found guilty on the AW charges? How would this affect us? Could we continue to buy OLLs? I really want my freaking MP5!!!!

Lateralus
05-14-2007, 11:28 PM
solid, dont generalize/speculate/thread steal. Lets keep the thoughts on topic. There are other threads for speculation on what might happen, one of which you started:)

69Mach1
05-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Here is the update on Matt's case. All six of the 1919 charges were withdrawn, but the rest remain. Pleas on the remaining six charges were again postponed for two weeks. Matt is still in jail.

There will be a bail reduction hearing on Tuesday, May 22.

Thanks for the continual updates WMD. You know, the longer they try to prosecute this poor man, the more it will make the DA look like a fool. God, half their charges were dropped because they don't know how to properly investigate s***! Once the OLL charges are dropped, they will realize that they left a man to rot in jail over nothing. What good is a CA Supreme Court decission (Harrott) if NO DA knows about it!:mad:

Crazed_SS
05-15-2007, 4:12 AM
1) Possession of an AW: Model MK 991 Caliber 7.62

What is a MK 991? :confused:

JGarrison
05-15-2007, 5:03 AM
Thanks for the continual updates WMD. You know, the longer they try to prosecute this poor man, the more it will make the DA look like a fool. God, half their charges were dropped because they don't know how to properly investigate s***! Once the OLL charges are dropped, they will realize that they left a man to rot in jail over nothing. What good is a CA Supreme Court decission (Harrott) if NO DA knows about it!:mad:

I honestly hope he becomes a rich, rich, RICH man from this if the charges are dropped or he is found innocent. They basically have turned his life upside down. Screw em:mad:

mumbleypeg
05-15-2007, 5:10 AM
latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-guns15may15,1,1808502.story?coll=la-headlines-california
6 charges dropped in student gun case
By Richard Winton
Times Staff Writer

May 15, 2007

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office on Monday dropped six of the most serious assault weapons charges against the student body president at East Los Angeles College after federal officials advised that some of the firearms recently found at his Monterey Park home were legal.

Matthew Corwin, 23, was arrested April 30 on suspicion of a variety of weapons violations and possession of stolen property two weeks after the massacre at Virginia Tech, after students and faculty members sent sheriff's officials Corwin's MySpace page address. The Web page showed him dressed in fatigues and holding various weapons.

Corwin was originally charged with five counts of unlawful assault-weapon sales, four counts of unlawful possession of assault weapons, two counts of possession of a deadly weapon and one count of receiving stolen property. But prosecutors dismissed half their case Monday.

"After further investigation by the [Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives] they determined that the Browning machine .30-caliber was lawful. So we dismissed six counts today," said Jane Robison, the district attorney's spokeswoman.

"The remaining six counts will be prosecuted," she added.

Chuck Michel, Corwin's attorney, said his client was targeted in a post-Virginia Tech environment.

"The only thing he is guilty of is indiscretion and bad timing," Michel said.

Michel said Corwin is a student but also an injured one-time military police officer once assigned to dignitary protection who had planned to return to active duty as an Army investigator.

Michel said Corwin had expected to be reactivated as part of the Army's investigations division and be sent to Iraq as soon as this month.

Inside Corwin's home last month, detectives found a military ID, a bulletproof vest, a military-issue chemical weapons suit, a throwing knife and several military-style rifles.

But Michel, an attorney known for his 2nd Amendment work, said most of remaining gun charges involve whether a detachable magazine is legal on certain types of weapons and whether a four-bladed knife and gloves with weights amount to illegal deadly weapons.

Michel said Corwin never received any stolen property from the military.

Corwin has served as associate student body president at the college since last fall after leading the campus' 2nd Amendment Club.

A judge on Monday reduced Corwin's bail from $365,000 to $120,000. But as of Monday evening he remained in custody.

richard.winton@latimes.com

JGarrison
05-15-2007, 5:50 AM
Pretty good article

jp.cherokee
05-15-2007, 5:58 AM
Great, That is a good first step. Lets keep it rolling...:) $120,000 is STILL a lot of dinero...:(

Wulf
05-15-2007, 6:00 AM
Very interesting that article. The way they mention the military service, then the possibility of re-activation before talking with any specificity about the remaining counts. That's definitely the way to put the story together if you want to mute the impact of the information.

Jicko
05-15-2007, 6:44 AM
What is a MK 991? :confused:

Off-list AK probably....

The DA is certainly :beatdeadhorse5:

69Mach1
05-15-2007, 6:45 AM
"After further investigation by the [Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives] they determined that the Browning machine .30-caliber was lawful. So we dismissed six counts today," said Jane Robison, the district attorney's spokeswoman.

It took 2 weeks for something that would have taken an hour with a phone call. Didn't Matt's attorneys have to point it out to them by providing documents from their own agency, declaring them legal. What a bunch of idiots!

69Mach1
05-15-2007, 6:46 AM
I hope his lawyers go after the way the search warrant was obtained.

spgk380
05-15-2007, 7:36 AM
So what would happen if his rifles have pinned mags and so on and he was found guilty on the AW charges? How would this affect us? Could we continue to buy OLLs? I really want my freaking MP5!!!!

I ain't a lawyer, but technically speaking, no. That was the whole basis for the Harrot decision in 2001. Trial court decisions are only binding in their respective jurisdictions. However, if he was found guilty in a trial court of AW possession for a fixed mag build, I think this would have a chilling effect state wide.

But I should say that there is no chance of this happening with our support and the quality of representation he has. Fixed mags requiring a tool to remove the mag are legal.

spgk380
05-15-2007, 7:40 AM
"But Michel, an attorney known for his 2nd Amendment work, said most of remaining gun charges involve whether a detachable magazine is legal on certain types of weapons"

:confused: :confused: :confused:

So does that suggest he was using bullet buttons? His lawyers need to issue a clarifying statement.

Humff, the one time I wish I was called up for jury duty (although I don't live in LA anyway).

By the way, this is Matt's YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/nse1028

One of the weapons looks like a Saiga. Maybe thats what the lawyer is talking about?

aealong
05-15-2007, 7:46 AM
A bullet button is legal since it requires a tool (a bullet) to detach the magazine so yes if his lawyers could issue a clarifying statement to this board it would be informative.

proraptor
05-15-2007, 7:49 AM
Man this is a good start for the day....Im happy they dropped the 6 charges for the 1919...looks like I need one now!!!!

Keep going Matt!!! We are all behind you!!!!

Jicko
05-15-2007, 7:58 AM
A bullet button is legal since it requires a tool (a bullet) to detach the magazine so yes if his lawyers could issue a clarifying statement to this board it would be informative.

Why would his lawyers NEED to issue a clarifying statement to this board? ARE YOU paying him for his time to do that? How would that benefit BWO's case? Or would it only be benefiting your curiosity?

Let's just focus on the facts/status, and keep sending money to support BWO's case. And let's our prayers be with BWO.

6172crew
05-15-2007, 8:07 AM
If you guys read the whole thread you would see that his lawyer started this thread and made it very clear that he was going to try and get all the charges dropped so Im not sure what else he would need to say unless you didnt read the whole thing and just want to kept up to date page by page.

The assault weapons charges are bunk but Im sure the DA would have been hung out the dry if he/she dropped all the charges since they showed a pic of a evil black rifle in the news paper.

EricCartmann
05-15-2007, 8:17 AM
why is he even still in custody? does he have some kind of record or something? even if he did have a record it appears he did nothing wrong as all his stuff were either 1) legal or 2) up for debate wether or not it is legal. You don't keep something in custody for this.

spgk380
05-15-2007, 8:34 AM
why is he even still in custody? does he have some kind of record or something? even if he did have a record it appears he did nothing wrong as all his stuff were either 1) legal or 2) up for debate wether or not it is legal. You don't keep something in custody for this.

Somebody else said earlier that he waived his right to a speedy trial to allow the lawyers time to prepare and get some charges dropped. Also, the bail reduction hearing isn't even until next week. I assume, if he is going to post bail, he will do it next Monday or Tuesday.

The bail started out at $500,000, then it dropped to about $365,000 then it dropped to $120,000, and it will hopefully drop some more next week. If his grandparents won't put up their house (assuming they don't rent), then somebody will have to shell out around $10,000 to get a bail bondsman to post bail.

StukaJr
05-15-2007, 8:47 AM
Good news on the 1919's charges being dropped. Waiting on the rest of the charges to follow... And "throwing knife"? Man, oh, man!

I hope the DA is flipping burgers after this...

MotoGuy
05-15-2007, 8:51 AM
why is he even still in custody?

He didn't post bail... he could have been out the next day if he had the money.

Kestryll
05-15-2007, 9:01 AM
latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-guns15may15,1,1808502.story?coll=la-headlines-california
6 charges dropped in student gun case
By Richard Winton
Times Staff Writer

May 15, 2007

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office on Monday dropped six of the most serious assault weapons charges against the student body president at East Los Angeles College after federal officials advised that some of the firearms recently found at his Monterey Park home were legal.

Matthew Corwin, 23, was arrested April 30 on suspicion of a variety of weapons violations and possession of stolen property two weeks after the massacre at Virginia Tech, after students and faculty members sent sheriff's officials Corwin's MySpace page address. The Web page showed him dressed in fatigues and holding various weapons.

Corwin was originally charged with five counts of unlawful assault-weapon sales, four counts of unlawful possession of assault weapons, two counts of possession of a deadly weapon and one count of receiving stolen property. But prosecutors dismissed half their case Monday.

"After further investigation by the they determined that the Browning machine .30-caliber was lawful. So we dismissed six counts today," said Jane Robison, the district attorney's spokeswoman.

"The remaining six counts will be prosecuted," she added.

Chuck Michel, Corwin's attorney, said his client was targeted in a post-Virginia Tech environment.

"The only thing he is guilty of is indiscretion and bad timing," Michel said.

Michel said Corwin is a student but also an injured one-time military police officer once assigned to dignitary protection who had planned to return to active duty as an Army investigator.

Michel said Corwin had expected to be reactivated as part of the Army's investigations division and be sent to Iraq as soon as this month.

Inside Corwin's home last month, detectives found a military ID, a bulletproof vest, a military-issue chemical weapons suit, a throwing knife and several military-style rifles.

But Michel, an attorney known for his 2nd Amendment work, said most of remaining gun charges involve whether a detachable magazine is legal on certain types of weapons and whether a four-bladed knife and gloves with weights amount to illegal deadly weapons.

Michel said Corwin never received any stolen property from the military.

Corwin has served as associate student body president at the college since last fall after leading the campus' 2nd Amendment Club.

A judge on Monday reduced Corwin's bail from $365,000 to $120,000. But as of Monday evening he remained in custody.

Now contrast this with the previous LA Times article and pay particular attention to the bolded part where Sheriff Capt. Ralph Webb make the statement, not accusation and no prefix of 'allegedly', just a straight out statement of fact. 'He had 'em and they were stolen!'
Even a child molestor caught with a child is given the benefit of the doubt but not a firearms enthusiast or shooter. And this from a Sheriff's CAPT.!?!

East L.A. College student held in gun probe
Authorities find a cache at the Monterey Park home of the campus government leader.
By Richard Winton and Tony Barboza, Times Staff Writers
May 1, 2007

As president of the Associated Students at East Los Angeles College, Matthew Corwin spoke out on issues pressing the students he represented, including the high price of textbooks and funding for campus clubs.

But authorities Monday charged the 23-year-old with selling and possessing illegal weapons, including machine guns, after finding a cache of firearms at his Monterey Park home. Corwin deferred making a plea.

Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives began investigating Corwin two weeks ago — soon after the massacre at Virginia Tech — when students and facility members sent them Corwin's MySpace.com page address, which showed him with various weapons and contained the quotation: "Be polite, be professional. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Detectives didn't know whether Corwin brought weapons to the campus, but college friends said they were unaware of his arsenal.

"He would say, 'I am a collector.' But we didn't know what he collected. My first impression was comic books or toy cars," said Khristoper Lee, 28, a criminal-justice major who worked with Corwin on student government issues. "I never expected guns."

Corwin had been president of the Associated Students Union since September and spent hours in his office calculating how much student clubs should receive in funding, Lee said.

Corwin was being held at Men's Central Jail and could not be reached for comment.

College officials said they were monitoring the investigation but had not expelled Corwin or increased security measures.

"Our campus police are on alert, but we are not under any threat," said Oscar Valeriano Jr., dean of student services.

Corwin's MySpace page features statements about killing, images of Corwin wielding guns and videos of him firing weapons. In still images, he poses with various guns, including pointing a handgun at the camera. Below one image of Corwin in military fatigues with an assault-style weapon, it says, "I love the smell of gunfire in the morning."

Inside Corwin's home in the 400 block of Brightwood Street, detectives last week found, along with the assault weapons, a military ID, a bulletproof vest and a military-issue chemical weapons suit, prosecutors said.

"We were given information about his page by students and faculty, and we checked it and found what appeared to be automatic and military weapons," said sheriff's Capt. Ralph Webb. [B]"When we searched his place, we found weapons stolen from the military."

Corwin was charged with five counts of unlawful assault-weapon sales, four counts of unlawful possession of assault weapons, two counts of possession of a deadly weapon and one count of receiving stolen property.

Webb said he does not believe Corwin planned any attacks on campus but is puzzled how the student leader amassed such an arsenal.

Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office, said Corwin was "inactive Army Reserve" and had allegedly sold some of the weapons.

He was arrested Thursday afternoon after a sheriff's major crimes surveillance team got information supporting the tips about the weapons.

Though prosecutors obtained an order preventing Corwin from appearing on campus, investigators said the weapons posed more of a threat than he did.

His arrest caught by surprise friends and students who knew him as a strong but caring leader.

At East L.A. College, students said they knew Corwin was in the Army Reserve and was head of the campus' 2nd Amendment Club, which focuses on gun-rights issues.

"We didn't get into any details of his personal life. It was a 'don't ask, don't-tell' kind of thing," Lee said.

In October, Corwin was quoted in the student newspaper as urging the Associated Students board to spend $750 on parts to make a gun that could be used by students who could not afford their own. The board did not support the proposal.

On Monday, students wondered who will run the student union.

"Now we don't have an ASU president. Who is going to write the agendas?" said Brenda Lee, 21, who is studying to be a nurse.

tony.barboza@latimes.com

Jicko
05-15-2007, 9:18 AM
"We were given information about his page by students and faculty, and we checked it and found what appeared to be automatic and military weapons," said sheriff's Capt. Ralph Webb. "When we searched his place, we found weapons stolen from the military."

I guess, we should go find out if it is a miss quote from LA-Times or if that Capt really "stated" these words.... and when this is all clear and BWO out, we, or the NRA lawyers, should go pay this Capt a visit and request him to issue an apology, and we should make a BIG DEAL out of it....

:mad:

JGarrison
05-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Isn't the MK991 listed by name on the ban list?

Ruiner
05-15-2007, 10:06 AM
This is good news and I wish Matt the best of luck with the other charges.

WolfMansDad
05-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Latest tally is $8,790. Chuck says this helps a LOT, but it's too early to tell how much the whole fight is going to cost. There's more coming in, but I'm going to stop posting updates for a while. Don't want to give the opposition too much information, but it's not unreasonable to think that we could raise enough to cover most or all of the defense.

There were a few "large" contributions - $500 or $1,000 - but most of the tally, nearly nine thousand dollars, is made up of lots and lots of $100 checks. To all of you who sent $100 with apologies that it couldn't be more, thank you! You are the backbone of this movement. To those of you who sent in more, thank you very much! You have provided an inspiration to the rest of us and seriously moved the total forward.

We've all been wondering if there would be a "test case," an arrest of an innocent man on assault weapons charges for legally-configured rifles. Well Matt, and our guys in Huntington Beach, fit that bill. They are all honest, law-abiding men harrassed on unjust gun laws. We've also been wondering if we could come together and fight if it came to this, and the answer is a resounding YES. I am proud and honored to be a part of this community.

Matt's family sends their most heartfelt thanks, not just for the financial contributions, but for the support you have shown in this difficult time. It means a lot to Matt that we believe in him and his innocence.

Jicko
05-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Isn't the MK991 listed by name on the ban list?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=53892

WHERE do u see it ON the list?

"OOW Romak 991" is on the list.... but "MK 991" is NOT.... just like.... "RRA CAR A4" is on the list... but "RRA LAR-15" is not...... "make and model", man, "make and model".....

If it is indeed a "OOW Romak 991", don't you think the DA will just plain out loud say that it is a "OOW, Romak 911"??

JGarrison
05-15-2007, 10:27 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=53892

WHERE do u see it ON the list?

"Romak 991" is on the list.... but "MK 991" is NOT.... just like.... "RRA CAR A4" is on the list... but "RRA LAR-15" is not...... "make and model", man, "make and model".....

If it is indeed a "Romak 991", don't you think the DA will just plain out loud say that it is a "Romak 911"??

I don't know, that is why I asked. I have heard of MK 2 rifles and the ROMAK 991, but they combined the two. I have never heard of an MK 991.

Jicko
05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't know, that is why I asked. I have heard of MK 2 rifles and the ROMAK 991, but they combined the two. I have never heard of an MK 991.

If that DA or Jane Robison, the district attorney's spokeswoman, can called a "Semi Auto 1919" a machinegun, and assault weapons..... ALL BETS ARE OFF.... they surely don't know WHAT they are talking a'bout...

:dots:

JPglee1
05-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Man I wish I wasnt having my problems, Id donate to his fund... I wish him the best.

J

JPglee1
05-15-2007, 10:49 AM

Can't he be released on his own recognisance, or is that not possible in this kind of case?

Its a shame to have to waste $10K to get him out :(

J

StukaJr
05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
We've all been wondering if there would be a "test case," an arrest of an innocent man on assault weapons charges for legally-configured rifles. Well Matt, and our guys in Huntington Beach, fit that bill. They are all honest, law-abiding men harrassed on unjust gun laws. We've also been wondering if we could come together and fight if it came to this, and the answer is a resounding YES. I am proud and honored to be a part of this community.

Matt's family sends their most heartfelt thanks, not just for the financial contributions, but for the support you have shown in this difficult time. It means a lot to Matt that we believe in him and his innocence.

That is great news - test case or not, his case affects the entire community...

"Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter."

Als sie mich holten,
gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.

"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

I'm sure the support will continue and grow stronger.

ecounter
05-15-2007, 4:46 PM
Is there anyone out there that can tell me if it is legal for the ATF and the Sherrif dept. to bust into someones house when the only evidence they have to do so is pictures of a guy holding what could have been replicas or airsoft guns how did they know they were real and that the pictures were recent and taken within this state?

pnkssbtz
05-15-2007, 4:48 PM
Is there anyone out there that can tell me if it is legal for the ATF and the Sherrif dept. to bust into someones house when the only evidence they have to do so is pictures of a guy holding what could have been replicas or airsoft guns how did they know they were real and that the pictures were recent and taken within this state?
"Probable Cause."

Or a warrant (which I believe they had)...

hoffmang
05-15-2007, 5:59 PM
I think the sufficiency of the warrant's probable cause is likely to be an interesting issue in this case over the long haul.

-Gene

Richie Rich
05-15-2007, 7:24 PM
I agree.

If I went to Vegas, rented a F/A MP5 and got someone to take video of me doing mag dumps and posted it on a myspace page that would be probable cause for a warrant to be issued?

Or if I posted pics of my massive airsoft collection, they could come kick in my door for that?

Man, I am sorry, but this one has got me shaking my head.

lawnrevenge
05-15-2007, 7:34 PM
I think a paper trail of legally purchasing OLL's or any firearm was the "justification" they had. Though I don't believe it holds water.

jdberger
05-15-2007, 7:55 PM
Just curious, but following up on Kestryll's post, what is the threshold for slander when the defendant is a Sheriff (or Sheriff's Deputy)?

ljg17
05-15-2007, 8:24 PM
"Probable Cause."

Or a warrant (which I believe they had)...

I thought it was a traffic stop with the PC being a cracked windshield.

hoffmang
05-15-2007, 8:33 PM
Blackwater/Matt is not a traffic stop. There is Huntington Beach case where a traffic stop started the case.

-Gene

mark3lb
05-15-2007, 8:42 PM
Blackwater/Matt is not a traffic stop. There is Huntington Beach case where a traffic stop started the case.

-Gene

Gene, Any news on the Huntington Beach OLL stop case?

hoffmang
05-15-2007, 8:55 PM
I believe folks are remaining quiet and positive on the HB stop. The fellow in question is a still active poster here. I do know that TMLLP is also handling that one.

-Gene

mcubed4130
05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I agree.

If I went to Vegas, rented a F/A MP5 and got someone to take video of me doing mag dumps and posted it on a myspace page that would be probable cause for a warrant to be issued?

Or if I posted pics of my massive airsoft collection, they could come kick in my door for that?

Man, I am sorry, but this one has got me shaking my head.

Sure seems like it is... "pictures OR videos of person who lives in California with guns on MySpace" = issue warrant, arrest, put on $500,000 bail... then 18 nights in jail later, reduce bail to $120,000... because the DA admits 1/2 of the charges are totally bogus... then decides to play hardball with a knife, gloves, and mags...

Perhaps, it is time to leave... Nevada, isn't that far a commute. Maybe I'll get my pilots license, that I've been putting off for years.

-M3

socalguns
05-15-2007, 10:54 PM
different (older) case guy

WolfMansDad
05-16-2007, 9:41 AM
Things are happening on the Huntington Beach case. A legal defense fund has been set up and will be announced when details of the case are ready for public airing.

igsr96
05-16-2007, 10:39 PM
BWO case on CBS2/KCAL9 news(video): http://tinyurl.com/229ol2

hoffmang
05-16-2007, 10:57 PM
"because prosecutors found that some of the guns found in his home were legal..."

Lame that the nightly news has to report that.

-Gene

artherd
05-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Any way you slice it, the PD and DA look like idoits for busting a guy, parading him all over the news, then it turns out "6 of the most serious charges are actually for... legal... guns."

Even the liberal soccer moms don't like blatant police-state tyrrany. Liberalism does still tout distrust of government and authority dosen't it?

hoffmang
05-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Even the liberal soccer moms don't like blatant police-state tyrrany. Liberalism does still tout distrust of government and authority dosen't it?

I'm sadly and seriously worried that the answer to your question is: "not in the urban areas of this State."

-Gene

FreedomIsNotFree
05-17-2007, 12:33 AM
In these liberal bastions, it does not matter that the 6 most serious charges have been dropped. Its guilt by association. BWO associated with guns and many see him as "guilty" for that alone.

artherd
05-17-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm sadly and seriously worried that the answer to your question is: "not in the urban areas of this State."

-Gene

In the immortal words of Shaggy from Scooby Doo, paraphrased by the great Jason Mews character 'Jay'; "Zoikes yo".

fairfaxjim
05-17-2007, 7:40 AM

I'm sorry to report that they have gotten themselves so scared of their own shadows that they expect the very government they distrust and constantly rail against for conspiracy against them to protect them, absolutely.

I could never understand how a group of people so distrustful of the government could be so rabid about the government providing everything.

Matt is a victim of the fear and mistrust that this sort of expectation has created. His arrest has as much, or more, to do with the college and sherif's dept. wanting to fulfill that expected role of "provider of security" as it does with any anti gun sentiment. It is their way of saying, "see, VA Tech. can't happen here, we are on top of this!"

KDOFisch
05-17-2007, 8:34 AM
Has East LA College officially had any statement on this? Is he allowed to continue classes? I'm trying to go through the search threads, but there were a lot of threads early on and it's hard to keep track.

proraptor
05-17-2007, 9:41 AM
I dont believe so....The school allegedly got a restraining order against him...

WolfMansDad
05-17-2007, 9:48 AM
Any way you slice it, the PD and DA look like idoits for busting a guy, parading him all over the news, then it turns out "6 of the most serious charges are actually for... legal... guns."

No, I know a few "soccer moms" of both genders and both political parties, and I'm afraid they don't believe in freedom. They like and welcome the police state. Many of them won't be upset about an illegal arrest at all, but they are alarmed to learn that 1919s are legal.

It's the same type of mentality that brought Hitler to power. He was popularly elected, remember? This is why we have a Bill of Rights, and this is why we have to defend it.

rkt88edmo
05-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I thought that Germany's masses were poor and starving and elected Hitler due to his promises of providing food and wealth...not so much like the soccer mom's of today.

StukaJr
05-17-2007, 10:48 AM
It's the same type of mentality that brought Hitler to power. He was popularly elected, remember? This is why we have a Bill of Rights, and this is why we have to defend it.

That election would hardly be considered legal if put to any level of scrutiny - he only won the election after SA physically defeated and intimidated the opposing parties in street combat, also, the SA controlled major voting centers... I also believe the ballots were fishy and the voters were intimidated not to go behind the curtains to write their choices in - "Why go behind the curtain when you are just gonna write Hitler, Ja? Wink, wink..."

Gathering half of the votes after all that plus the division amongst other parties coupled with fear of Communism is only making it seem legal and popular... But agreed, that's why we have the Bill of Rights that shall not be taken away.

mblat
05-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I thought that Germany's masses were poor and starving and elected Hitler due to his promises of providing food and wealth...not so much like the soccer mom's of today.

But they are missing free child care and free health care and free lunhes in free schools.....

Clodbuster
05-17-2007, 11:32 AM
True, but Hitler blamed Germany's social-economic problems on a certain segment of the population - the Jews, and we all know what his agenda was on that. Government always need a scapegoat for problems it can't solve.

We don't really have social economic problems so government needs to find a problem, then overblow it to justify the public's need for a big government. So today's politicians blamed America's social violence problems on a certain segment of the population -namely the gun owners. Given enough propaganda, every soccer mom in America will be afraid to let their kids go to school in fear that waiting for them is a hail of high powered bullets, unless guns are all banned.

Clod

drclark
05-17-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a question with respect to that restraining order.

For the moment, lets assume that the all the charges against BWO are dropped or he is found innocent on all counts. Is the college's RO against him still valid? Or would it also be dismissed?

drc

hoffmang
05-17-2007, 1:26 PM
If/when all the charges are dropped, I expect that BWO would have an easy time challenging the restraining order.

-Gene

rkt88edmo
05-17-2007, 2:47 PM
Thread continues here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=58355