PDA

View Full Version : Shooting glasses anyone?

B!ngo
05-24-2012, 8:22 PM
So, after 45 years of perfect vision (they breezed me through the USN eye exam) my eyesight started to degrade a bit to the point that now I cannot read or see close things without glasses. I also have enough of an astigmatism to cause a bit of an issue at a distance.
At the range, I started wearing those dorky large protective glasses over my glasses but it's just ridiculous.
I just visited my optometrist and he said he'd be happy to make me a pair of shooting glasses. I'm currently leaning toward a pair of Oakley wraparounds with inserts so that I can change the lenses to different shades. But those classic yellow shooters glasses look pretty cool as well - but they have no side protection.
What do you all do and what do you recommend? I can't be the only one here with worse than 20/10 (my old sight and my younger sons sight) vision?
B

G60
05-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I am nearsighted. With my current eyeglass prescription, it takes a moment longer to focus on things within 3-4 feet than without my glasses on. What this does, is makes it very difficult to focus on the front sight when shooting pistol, especially while firing. Without my glasses, I can pick up the front sight in a split-second, but can't see anything beyond it. For long gun shooting, my current eyeglass prescription is perfect.

I read an article by Bill Rogers where he says he requested his optometrist correct his vision so that his dominant eye could better focus on the front sight. I think I may give this a try. I may end up having to use two different prescriptions for rifle and pistol shooting.

guyver hitmanx
05-25-2012, 5:30 AM
If money is not a factor I say go with the oakleys. Each different color lens needs to be made into RX cuz oakley doesn't make an insert and cost about $200 a set for RX lens (at least they used to). Personally I just get an anti-scratch coating on my regular RX glasses or wear my contacts.

rb765
05-25-2012, 6:06 AM
For me, I go with contacts and regular shooting glasses. I hate sweating into glasses and have been a contact lens wearer since bout 1983 without any problems. As far as Oakleys, I was told that if you want Oakley, they have to be made at the Oakley factory and are not supposed to be cut aftermarket.

If you are in the military or LE, then order them through https://secure.usstandardissue.com/ for a huge savings. Unfortunately, I do not qualify for this (non-sworn LE employee), but co-workers that have swear by them.

AK all day
05-25-2012, 6:10 AM
I also rock contacts and regular shooting glasses. Shooting glasses that also allow you to see is pretty cool though.

ch3ck5ix
05-25-2012, 6:23 AM
B!ngo,
My wife wears glasses (hates wearing contacts) and after years of using ill-fitting safety glasses over her prescriptions she found this: http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/sunwear/category.php?id=1
They look and fit so much better on her and she said it's a lot more comfortable. You can choose from a variety of styles and lens colors. Hope this helps!

geeknow
05-25-2012, 7:23 AM
I use wiley x. Their system is pretty much the same as the oakleys. Tinted lens, yellow lense, and clear lens. There is also a perscription lens insert for them. I guess they could be coonsidered 'modular', in that regard.

Of them all, the wiley's had the clearest view, across the width of the lens.

I've used some cheapos in the past that distorted my vision at the periphery. This was something that I sought to avoid particularly, with this pair.

Been very happy with the wileys.

Also, if you have vision ins, they may cover the inserts. Mine did.

JeremyKX
05-25-2012, 7:25 AM
I got a pair of standard issue black M-frames through US Standard issue. Total cost including tax and shipping was $95 so it was an amazing deal.

troysland
05-25-2012, 7:49 AM
I agree with Wiley-X. I work in a chemical cleanroom and have used these as safety glasses. Some models have interchangeable lenses so you can pop in the yellow or amber lenses.

TwinStick
05-25-2012, 7:59 AM
make sure you get good wrap above and on the sides of your eyes. I have a set of Ray Ban aviator type glasses and when the sun is above me, I get a reflection of my sunlit face on the inside of the lenses rendering them not only useless but they blind me to whatever's on the outside of my lenses i.e. everything. I think the prescription Oakley's sound like a good plan.

OzzieF
05-25-2012, 8:20 AM
I ended up getting a pair of Oakley "Jawbones".
They fully cover the eyes and are a breeze to change out lenses.
I got the matte black ones that come with a yellow set and iridium black set of lenses. Then got a prescription set of dark lenses.
They are pricey, but I really like them. I use them as my primary set an they have blocked a few pieces of brass from falling "inside" my glasses.

j411701
05-25-2012, 8:41 AM
ESS
http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2X-NARO_147_detail.html

EvolutionGSR
05-25-2012, 8:41 AM
I got a used pair of oakley radars, they fit my larger size head better than m frames did. Good wrap.

ebola zaire
05-25-2012, 8:47 AM
B!ngo,
My wife wears glasses (hates wearing contacts) and after years of using ill-fitting safety glasses over her prescriptions she found this: http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/sunwear/category.php?id=1
They look and fit so much better on her and she said it's a lot more comfortable. You can choose from a variety of styles and lens colors. Hope this helps!

I would second this recommendation, it's also a cheap way to do it. I don't personally wear them but my dad does working on the ocean to fight glare. They do look kinda dumb, but he loves the all around protection from glare and the elements. Seem well made too.

Or contacts if your vision is correctable with them. That way you can wear what ever you want.

geeknow
05-25-2012, 9:55 AM
I agree with Wiley-X. I work in a chemical cleanroom and have used these as safety glasses. Some models have interchangeable lenses so you can pop in the yellow or amber lenses.

^^^yep, that's the model that I was referring to.

when they're on, I look like this; :cool2:

:p

Dhena81
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
I've been using these for the last year and a half their great.

wHNLbxsVeio

ouch1
05-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Go with the Oakley's. My brother tried wearing contacts while shooting and he had problems with them staying in when he was shooting both his .308 and his 12Ga pump. since then he switched to Oakley shooting glasses and he loves them. I am even thinking of getting a pair for myself as my prescription raybans are starting to wear out.

Here is a quote from Oakley's site:
When it comes to high quality shooting eyewear Oakley has you covered. Oakley's Plutonite lens material exceeds ANSI Z78+ standards for high-velocity and high-mass impact protection. And XYZ Optics lens geometry maintains razor-sharp clarity to keep your focus on the bulls-eye. The Oakley SI M-Frame and Industrial M-Frame models are certified and stamped for ANSI Z87.1 compliance. All Oakley eyewear is made in USA.

ouch1

6mmintl
05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
If your a serious iron sight user try Knorbloch frames and custom prescription. They usually cost around $200 http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Safety_Accessories-251-5.aspx or Champions Shooters supply.

Or you can go to an Optomitrist with a rifle stock and have him move optical center about 9mm up and 9mm to left (if right handed), if near sighted have him boost .25 diopter stronger for long range.

51colt
05-25-2012, 9:27 PM
I get my prescription glasses with polycarbonate lenses cost a few dollars more. I use a old pair of prescription glasses for shooting iron sights and hand guns. I put the glasses on and mount a rifle on my shoulder while i am looking at the sights i have some one mark were the center of my strong eye is with a sharpie i then cover the lens black tape leaving a 1/8 inch hole were the lens is marked. With these pin hole grasses i can see the sights like i was 20 again. If you can get by with reading glasses opticplanet sells safety reading glasses cheap i think they start out at 15.00.

SlickmisterN
05-26-2012, 6:29 PM
I just got some custom Oakley Half Jackets made up with the VR28 lenses for shooting in normal conditions, H.I. Persimmon lenses for flat or low light, and VR28 Black Iridium lenses for the bright days. I love them to death, they fit the bill and my face!

S470FM
05-26-2012, 7:04 PM
i eliminate the need for shooting glasses by shooting with my eyes closed.

Drivedabizness
05-26-2012, 7:17 PM
I have the Knoblachs - simply for range/competition you can have your optometrist grind you a lens that will correct your shooting eye to allow perfect focus on the front sight.

The Knoblachs don't provide a lot of eye protection, though.

You have several issues. You need to correct your vision to allow focus on the front sight. You need to be able to look through a spotting scope and see around the area.

Contacts (in rare cases) may work but once on, they are hard to remove/reinstall - especially at a place like the range.

My advice is to figure out what is most important and get a solution for that. Then perhaps get tools for other scenarios.

Carlosa
05-26-2012, 7:27 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rudy project glasses..
They are much cheaper then Oakley offer tons of lenses including impact resistant and photochromic lenses.
Many styles and slim inserts for RX lenses..
Go to any shooting match from clays, high power, uspsa etc..
Rudy's are the most common choice.
Plus uspsa members get a huge discount 40% I think..

DRM6000
05-26-2012, 7:39 PM
I have a pair of Rudy Project Rydons with photo chromatic lenses. They have a mild prescription to help with long distance.

Awesome glasses. A plus is not needing to change to clear lenses in low light.

FTW9999
05-26-2012, 7:47 PM
I ordered a pair of prescription oakleys for shooting. Stright Jackets with yellow tint lenses and another pair with transition lens. Oakley did the lens and they are the best prescription glass I have ever had and I have been wearing glasses for 30 years. Very happy with them. I am near sighted and can't see anything at distance.

tbhracing
05-26-2012, 7:49 PM
ESS
http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2X-NARO_147_detail.html

Another vote for the ESS line. ESS makes GREAT products.

k1dude
05-26-2012, 8:31 PM
Another vote for ESS. But I prefer the ESS Crossbow Suppressor since it has flat temple arms to accomodate earmuffs. I bought the 2X+ kit.

http://www.esseyepro.com/images/fpo_productLarge_suppressor_5_27023.jpg

http://www.esseyepro.com/Suppressor_detail.html?color=5

If you're in the military, LEO, or FD, you get 40% off.

ESS also has a prescription insert accessory for their glasses.

Carlosa
05-26-2012, 8:43 PM
I have a pair of Rudy Project Rydons with photo chromatic lenses. They have a mild prescription to help with long distance.

Awesome glasses. A plus is not needing to change to clear lenses in low light.

Me to one pair that's great for indoor and outdoor :)

RobGR
05-26-2012, 8:48 PM
Anyone tried these with prescription lenses:

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2.4-Rx-Inserts_25_detail.html

Or these:

http://www.esseyepro.com/CDI-Black_14_detail.html

RobGR
05-26-2012, 9:14 PM
Hmmm, cleaner than the previous ones I posted, no black frames behind the shield. But adding a polarized gray shield to the order is an extra $100....

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2.4---Advancer-Vice-Rx-Insert_120_detail.html

locosway
05-26-2012, 10:01 PM
So, after 45 years of perfect vision (they breezed me through the USN eye exam) my eyesight started to degrade a bit to the point that now I cannot read or see close things without glasses. I also have enough of an astigmatism to cause a bit of an issue at a distance.
At the range, I started wearing those dorky large protective glasses over my glasses but it's just ridiculous.
I just visited my optometrist and he said he'd be happy to make me a pair of shooting glasses. I'm currently leaning toward a pair of Oakley wraparounds with inserts so that I can change the lenses to different shades. But those classic yellow shooters glasses look pretty cool as well - but they have no side protection.
What do you all do and what do you recommend? I can't be the only one here with worse than 20/10 (my old sight and my younger sons sight) vision?
B

I use Oakley, but most people I know use their prescription glasses as safety glasses so long as they're the polybicarbonate lens and not glass (which most are). I know it's not a true safety lens, but it won't shatter like glass.

I believe you can get prescription safety lenses made up too, which might be worth checking into.