PDA

View Full Version : My response to the CRPA's "cease and desist" demand letter

wildhawker
05-24-2012, 7:55 PM
As Gene posted (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=576175) just moments ago, SaveCRPA's trademarks and IP attorney responded (http://savecrpa.org/files/greenstein_denison_re_crpa_cease_desist_052412.pdf ) on behalf of SaveCRPA and the persons sent a "Cease and Desist (http://savecrpa.org/files/crpa_savecrpa_cease_desist_051412.pdf)" demand letter by CRPA attorney James Denison of the law firm Cummins & White, LLP.

As so aptly stated by CRPA executive director John Fields, "Brandon Combs [is the] ([o]nly current CRPA Board member involved)" with advocating for accountability, transparency, and reform of corporate governance (including bylaws and elections). That, apparently, was all the reason the executives at CRPA needed to send a letter threatening me with legal action if I continued acting in good faith on behalf of the membership, including those who elected me to the board.

I'm sure that my reply to Mr. Denison (http://savecrpa.org/files/denison_re_crpa_cease_desist_051412.pdf) is as predictable as the CRPA executives' lack of competence and burning desire to silence our constructive speech.

Since I know you'll be reading this, Tony, let me remind you of something: I take on actual sheriffs every day. Unfortunately for our members, you're not even in their class.

-Brandon

bigdawg86
05-24-2012, 7:59 PM
:lurk5:

skyscraper
05-24-2012, 7:59 PM
Always supporting you and Gene. Im off to make a donation to the CGF. Thanks for fighting for our civil rights brother.

hoffmang
05-24-2012, 8:00 PM
Unfortunately for our members, you're not even in their class.

In their class? Is Tony even in law enforcement management? I mean I guess he's had a person or two report to him, but maybe not.

I kind of think that the President of my membership organization should have some actual management experience...

-Gene

Soldier415
05-24-2012, 8:21 PM
Fire in the hole!

Gryff
05-24-2012, 8:49 PM
It still amazes me that it only took attending one CRPA Board of Directors meeting to realize that organization is truly and hopelessly ****ed.

At first, I worried that I was missing something with being a newbie and all...but no, my first impression was right.

And I still can't get past the whole 3% of budget for shooting programs, 54% of budget for staff compensation and facilities. That's just classic.

Smokeybehr
05-24-2012, 8:52 PM

Don't bogart that bucket... Pass it on to the next brother... :D

Jason P
05-24-2012, 9:01 PM
In the interests of brevity and consideration for our precious natural resources, I shall not consume more paper than necessary in making this reply...

LOL, looks like some biting rudeass letter I would write meant to simultaneously belittle and educate. Not necessarily the most efficient use of time and energy, but the point was made and I bet deep down you really enjoyed composing that. I enjoyed reading it:)

Thanks for the evenings pre-entertainment...:owned:

GOEX FFF
05-24-2012, 9:30 PM
Excellent letter Brandon as well as Gene's post.

I stand behind you guys leading the fight for not just our 2A rights, but for the rights of us members of CRPA.

:thumbsup:

truthseeker
05-24-2012, 9:40 PM
WOW!

Seems like "politics" run rampant in every social group in California!

Must be something in the water! :D

P.W.
05-24-2012, 11:51 PM
The "precious natural resources" part made me laugh. Nicely Done!

mosinnagantm9130
05-25-2012, 12:16 AM
:D

I have to say, I enjoyed both of those letters.

PandaLuv
05-25-2012, 12:24 AM
FFS

PandaLuv
05-25-2012, 12:26 AM
dont get why we fight each other, ok. Guess some of us can support this

Wolverine
05-25-2012, 1:04 AM
The "precious natural resources" part made me laugh. Nicely Done!

I first read it as "precious bodily fluids"

HowardW56
05-25-2012, 7:22 AM

HERE, I got two more..... :lurk5::lurk5:

Maestro Pistolero
05-25-2012, 9:24 AM

Yeah, and wash your hands.

morfeeis
05-25-2012, 10:06 AM
And I still can't get past the whole 3% of budget for shooting programs, 54% of budget for staff compensation and facilities. That's just classic.

That's insane!

JSolie
05-25-2012, 12:42 PM
I first read it as "precious bodily fluids"

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one... :o

Good letter...a touch acerbic, but right to the point. It amazes me that the CRPA is spending member dues to tilt at windmills when there's work to be done in Sacramento. Still not ready to change the opacity in my sig...

speedrrracer
05-25-2012, 1:30 PM
Fight the good fight, Brandon!

roushstage2
05-25-2012, 2:14 PM
Get 'em!

Experimentalist
05-25-2012, 2:19 PM
I can understand the deep frustration that the CGF & CGN folks have with the CRPA, and am glad to see some pressure put to them. Nice job Brandon.

I would suggest that we shouldn't stoop to their level. We're better than that.

Much better than that. Words reflect who we are.

frankDmole
05-25-2012, 3:04 PM
Fire For Effect!!
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy152/fmeszaros/114FireforEffect.jpg

ShooterDK
05-25-2012, 3:49 PM
I can understand the deep frustration that the CGF & CGN folks have with the CRPA, and am glad to see some pressure put to them. Nice job Brandon.

Yep!

wildhawker
05-25-2012, 3:52 PM

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. That "words mean things" is exactly why I chose the words I did.

-Brandon

kcbrown
05-25-2012, 4:10 PM
Excellent letter. And very effective at saving precious natural resources, too, at only one page long. :D

I especially liked this:

It is beyond perplexing to me that CRPA president Tony Montanarella and the Executive Committee would so strongly oppose the very sort of bylaws and transparent governance that the members of the National Rifle Association (for which CRPA is the California state affiliate) have enjoyed for years, under which the NRA has blossomed into one of the largest, most vibrant, and powerful member organizations in the United States, if not the world.

Pure awesomeness. :43:

Apocalypsenerd
05-25-2012, 4:15 PM
And I still can't get past the whole 3% of budget for shooting programs, 54% of budget for staff compensation and facilities.

If those numbers are true, it speaks volumes about the people running the place. People running non-profits generally do so for two reasons, either to make a difference or to make money for themselves. For non-profits wherein expenditures must be accounted for publicly, the % of money going to the organizational leaders is a good indication of which reason is being acted on.

However, if membership and revenues are declining, the organization might be saddled with leases or other overhead costs they cannot easily dispense with. A scenario like that would push the numbers out of wack.

wildhawker
05-25-2012, 4:22 PM
If those numbers are true, it speaks volumes about the people running the place. People running non-profits generally do so for two reasons, either to make a difference or to make money for themselves. For non-profits wherein expenditures must be accounted for publicly, the % of money going to the organizational leaders is a good indication of which reason is being acted on.

However, if membership and revenues are declining, the organization might be saddled with leases or other overhead costs they cannot easily dispense with. A scenario like that would push the numbers out of wack.

The numbers don't lie: http://savecrpa.org/files/2012_budget.pdf

skyscraper
05-25-2012, 6:58 PM
$100,000 for "new field rep" position. hmmm.

huntercf
05-25-2012, 7:09 PM
It saddens me when 2A rights groups have such an adversarial relationship, too bad CPRA doesn't see that they are only hurting our cause with this approach.
Keep up the good work Brandon & Gene!

I wonder if some people will think it is worth it when we all wake up one day and the only people allowed to defend themselves (& family), enjoy shooting, etc. are LEO's and criminals.

greasemonkey
05-25-2012, 7:37 PM
Partially why some factions of the NRA are not terribly motivated to help fix the CRPA. I only say some, not all.

Given the population of our state, I was expecting annual revenue to be 5x as much. Sad. Most donations for RKBA form CA do go to NRA, not that anything is wrong with that.

I'm looking for work, anyone think they'll hire me? :D
$100,000 for "new field rep" position. hmmm.

Are you referring to back in the day or the last ~2 years? Lots of us definitely spoke out in the last 2 years, a lot of those posts were promptly deleted, for some strange reason.
I think I was the only one who called out Tony M when he posted here. That was over some petty stuff, likely over some legislation that Governor had signed round then.

Nice letter. Keep up the good fight. About time CPRA got "fixed", and hopefully permanently this time.

The way i see it is there is no other way but to get this old guard out. Most likely (hopefully) that will be via elections in the coming time.

Apocalypsenerd
05-25-2012, 9:05 PM

So how many paid positions are there?

Also, some of the other expenses are actually employee compensation. The travel & per diem, possibly the insurance, committee activities, and I am betting the conference costs include room and board.

Anyone know if the money they are swapping from legislative liason to employee compensation is making a permanent legislative position or are they voting themselves raises?

Just looking at the numbers, I think they need a controller.

bloodhawke83
05-25-2012, 9:12 PM

Wait, wouldn't they go bankrupt if they increase their own deficit year over year?

Apocalypsenerd
05-25-2012, 9:17 PM
It depends on their reserves, if they have any.

wildhawker
05-25-2012, 9:20 PM
So how many paid positions are there?

First page: http://savecrpa.org/files/crpa_directory_2012.pdf

Not included there is lobbyist Tom Pederson.

Also, some of the other expenses are actually employee compensation. The travel & per diem, possibly the insurance, committee activities, and I am betting the conference costs include room and board.

I wouldn't consider any of those comp.

Anyone know if the money they are swapping from legislative liason to employee compensation is making a permanent legislative position or are they voting themselves raises?

They are making Tom a full-time W2 vs full-time 1099. That's all.

Just looking at the numbers, I think they need a controller.

They need member engagement (read: non-exclusionary bylaws, fair elections, actual product), leadership, a competent executive director that gets the issues, and to not be in Orange County when the fight is in Sacramento.

-Brandon

wildhawker
05-25-2012, 9:22 PM
Wait, wouldn't they go bankrupt if they increase their own deficit year over year?

What the current CRPA executives are not saying out loud is that they are eating into the portfolio every year because they, and the old guard who put them in charge (who were the executives of yesteryear), are failing miserably at their jobs.

The membership slide is a very real concern for me and others.

-Brandon

taperxz
05-25-2012, 9:27 PM
They need member engagement (read: non-exclusionary bylaws, fair elections, actual product), leadership, a competent executive director that gets the issues, and to not be in Orange County when the fight is in Sacramento.

This is important for mere perception of being a door knock away from legislators.

ShootinMedic
05-25-2012, 9:40 PM
Thank you Brandon for all of your efforts. Your reply was very well worded, however I feel that you could copy Rush Limbaugh next time you converse with them.

Tie half your brain behind your back, just to make it fair!

I'm glad you are on our side and are fighting for our rights.