PDA

View Full Version : Ar15 slop issue

Emt123
05-24-2012, 4:36 PM
Hey guys, new to this sight. Just made an account to get some feedback on an issue I'm having. I recently picked up a colt m4. I brought it home and noticed a dissatisfying amount of slop between the upper and lower receiver. I've been told I need an accu-wedge to limit the slop. So my problem/question is: after spending extra money on the colt instead of going cheap; should I be upset about the amount of slop I'm seeing? Basically just making sure I don't have any machining issues/inconsistencys or worst case scenario a bunk rifle. Any feedback is greatly appriceated. And I'm sure this issue has been addressed in other threads but the search on my phone didn't turn up anything. Thanks!

Solidux
05-24-2012, 4:40 PM
Can you describe the wobble (in the best way you can)?

Is it to the point where if you put on a vertical foregrip you can stick it in a pile of wet dirty clothes and do laundry? Or where if you grab just the lower receiver and you can wobble it like a tambourine?

All the colt M4/M16s we have in the armory have a considerable amount of wobble to them.

I personally love the accu-wedge (after I shave like, 0.5mm off of course) because it keeps the receivers nice and tight.

DarkSoul
05-24-2012, 4:46 PM
I think probably 50% or ARs have "the wobble". The accu-wedge is a great (and cheap) way to solve this. Just put it in, and see if you can close the halves, if not, just sand a little off the bottom of the wedge, and refit.

Emt123
05-24-2012, 4:48 PM
If I'm holding the pistol grip with one hand and the top of the upper with the other hand I can wiggle it side to side and actually see daylight between the upper and lower.

Emt123
05-24-2012, 4:51 PM
I'm going to go grab an accuwedge right now and see what's up. My main issue was that I may have a defective upper or lower. But after your reply's I'm thinking that's not the case. I'll post an update as soon as I get it installed. Thanks guys!

Merc1138
05-24-2012, 4:52 PM
If you wanted something high end, you should have bought something high end(sorry, the typical Colt is not high end). Considering how little it takes to see light, you've described a normal AR. This also varies and is something you could(should) have noticed while you were handling it at the shop.

(what's up with so many threads lately with people not bothering to inspect guns before they purchase them, and before they leave the shop with them on pick-up? I've had shops order things for me, but I still take my time to inspect it when I go to pick it up.)

stix213
05-24-2012, 4:57 PM
If I'm holding the pistol grip with one hand and the top of the upper with the other hand I can wiggle it side to side and actually see daylight between the upper and lower.

This amount sounds quite normal.

Solidux
05-24-2012, 5:02 PM
Yea, you described a normal amount of slop.

Its just how 2 metal parts without any tension connect.

ExtremeX
05-24-2012, 5:02 PM
Sounds pretty normal to me.

This is why I have started buying matched uppers and lowers on my higher end builds. Even then, fit is not always guaranteed.

Just use an accu-wedge and enjoy your rifle.

JAGGUY
05-24-2012, 5:07 PM
Many have the same "slop" you describe. I have found that a lot of shooters don't think it's any big deal and think the wedge is a waste of $.
My second AR had a little looseness and it bothered me. Put in a wedge and I am now happy with it.
For 3 bucks I think it's worth the false sense of quality........

Solidux
05-24-2012, 5:09 PM
Just like make-up.

ir0nclash86
05-24-2012, 5:10 PM
Very normal. Every colt ive seen has had play in it. My buddy has an SR556 with play in it. Hes using the accuwedge thing and it locks up ridiculously tight now.

818gtiguy
05-24-2012, 5:11 PM
100% normal. Some fit tighter than others, some dont. Dont put a accuwedge in there. It will actually cause more wear on your takedown pin holes on your lower. The fit will tighten up when you put a loaded magazine in the rifle.

G60
05-24-2012, 5:19 PM
Some play is normal. It does not affect function or accuracy.
Nothing to worry about. Accu wedges are a waste of money.

Emt123
05-24-2012, 5:22 PM
As far as me not noticing the looseness when I was in the shop all I can say is I guess that I made a rookie mistake. Im not new to guns but this is my first ar. All in all I am happy with the rifle. Thanks for all of your reply's.

Josh3239
05-24-2012, 5:50 PM
Colt is far more interested in making good performing, modular rifles, not pretty little no wobble safe queens.

G60
05-24-2012, 6:14 PM
Buying a colt is not a mistake.

Buying a boutique brand not built to spec so as to eliminate wobble that does not affect function or accuracy would have been.

These things are meant to be used for shooting BG's in the face, not fondled.

Poppy83
05-24-2012, 6:27 PM
I would not worry about it, but if it others you, just put a foam earplug under the rear take down lug. Don't bother spending even $3 + shipping for an accuwedge.

CHS
05-24-2012, 6:35 PM
That "slop" is DESIGNED to be there.

The accuwedge does nothing more than ease emotions and cause further wear on your receiver, leading to MORE slop.

Leave it alone. It's fine.

Don29palms
05-24-2012, 7:12 PM
That "slop" is DESIGNED to be there.

The accuwedge does nothing more than ease emotions and cause further wear on your receiver, leading to MORE slop.

Leave it alone. It's fine.

Definitely agree! Don't worry about it and leave it alone. Shoot the hell out of it and smile. You have a Colt in the USSK!

Sunday
05-25-2012, 1:15 PM
The slop really doesn't matter. By the way congratulation on buying the Colt. Good choice.

RazzB7
05-25-2012, 1:20 PM
For 3 bucks I think it's worth the false sense of quality........

Best quote of the thread!

hermosabeach
05-25-2012, 1:24 PM
the AR 15 platform has all of the accuracy in the upper- I probably did not state that quite right...
The optics, barrel, gas system are all in the upper.
So play between the upper and lower do not really mater for accuracy as your optics / sights are always set inline with the barrel and other parts....

As long as it shoots reliably, then I would not sweat it at all.....

now a rail that held your optics and moved would be a disaster

Noonanda
05-25-2012, 2:06 PM
the AR 15 platform has all of the accuracy in the upper- I probably did not state that quite right...
The optics, barrel, gas system are all in the upper.
So play between the upper and lower do not really mater for accuracy as your optics / sights are always set inline with the barrel and other parts....

As long as it shoots reliably, then I would not sweat it at all.....

now a rail that held your optics and moved would be a disaster

+1000, always wondered why people freak out at this, the sights and barrel are all on the upper, if it shifts slightly from the lower this is not an issue unless your sight picture is affected. Now if your sights are wobbling on your upper, you got problems.