View Full Version : Question regarding rifles to use in Appleseed

05-24-2012, 11:37 AM
I have been thinking of attending an Appleseed event and have my 15yr old son join me. We currently have 2 rifles, an AR-22 with BUIS & RDS and a Sig 522 with a RDS & no back up sights. I plan on using the AR-22 and having him us the Sig 522.

Will this setup be OK for Appleseed? Or do you recommend putting an LTR together for him to use. Thanks in advance.

tony stark
05-24-2012, 9:08 PM
the major question is what size of a red dot do you have. if it's bigger than the prone target on the army quail target they use, then i think you see that a rds may not be what you want to use.
my opinion! get a ltr

05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
The smallest target zone is around 4moa, about 1" at 25m. Its doable w/a red dot 2moa and smaller but you have to be a very good shooter already, anything else your groups are going to be easily greater than 1". Those targets are scored double the points so its critical to get them tight and centered.

You will learn to shoot better but you just won't be able to score better due to the equipment. I have an Eotech 517 on my rimfire AR its has a 1moa dot but its harder than my scoped 4x rifle.

05-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Both rifles have 3 MOA RDS (Primary Arms M3 clone & a NcStar D4B). Would it be better to shoot the AR with the BUIS than the RDS? I don't want to put any sights on the Sig 522 since i'm planning on selling it soon. Maybe i can try to get a loaner, if not then i'll put an LTR together after the 522 gets sold. I was trying to get both of us to attend an Appleseed together. Another option is to attend without him first then we can both come back another time.

05-25-2012, 8:54 PM
I wouldn't really sweat the RDS. I used to use one on my AR-15 and it worked out fine, even on the 400 yard targets, although I did have to use the "six o'clock hold" method (viz., held the dot just below the target, like you do for iron sights, not like a normal scope).

If this is on a rifle you're going to sell anyway, don't worry about it. Come to learn the fundamentals and afterwards you'll have a better idea what you want to get out of a new rifle when the time comes.

For someone who is already thinking about changing away from an RDS to quality irons or a scope, I'd say go ahead and make the change first, but only if you're pretty much made up your mind to do it anyway. Issues of stock fitment, loop sling, reliability, etc. will make more of a difference at the end of the day than a 1-2 MOA theoretical inaccuracy due to a red dot.

tony stark
05-25-2012, 9:10 PM
i agree don't put sights on the 522. what you would find is the same thing i did. when you put a sling on the sig the barrel will flex to the point of being worthless. not that they are a bad rifle, they just are not good at doing what they do at a appleseed

05-25-2012, 9:23 PM
If your taking the class to learn precision close range shooting -

Use sights. A malfunction will end your day quick...