PDA

View Full Version : Light for AR

JJ1911
05-24-2012, 9:34 AM
I posted this in the accessories forum but I think it might be more appropriate to ask here, since this pertains specifically to mounting lights on ARs.

I just got a Surefire Fury P2X as a gift and was really excited about mounting it to my AR, until I read that the Fury (as well as the G2, 6P etc) were not designed to be mounted to weapons and that it would wear them down due to recoil.

The other thing was that people were telling me the dual output setting would be activated by firing the weapon ( going from 15--->500) also due to recoil.

Can anyone shed some light and/or experiences with mounting surefire handheld lights to their ARs?

shamu415
05-24-2012, 2:57 PM
Surefire does not recommend those to be used on firearms, but people use them with no issues anyways. Surefire does have a specific line for use with a rifle, such as the scout and mini scout. Unless your AR shoots .50bmg, the recoil should not be so powerful that it messes up the internals. I would wait since surefire will be coming out with new lines to compete with the other high lumen replicas.

djleisure
05-24-2012, 3:00 PM
I use Streamlights on my carbines - they work great. In fact, I bought a G2, with the intent to replace my TLR1. Unfortunately, the light wasn't as white and did not throw as far. The G2 is now in my truck's glove box.

JJ1911
05-24-2012, 4:26 PM
Yeah i have an x300 that is just sitting on a pistol collecting dust, i think I'll throw that on my AR!

wsmc27
05-25-2012, 7:51 AM
We've run a G2X/Elzetta for a few hundred rounds without any probs on an AR...no recoil issues noted.

I wouldn't think the P2X with the two different settings such a good choice? Nice little light, but having maybe the tac tailcap with one light mode is probably better?

Saw a review that mentioned there wil be a tac version of that Fury...the review is at http://www.led-resource.com/2012/03/surefire-p2x-fury-review/

hth :)

JJ1911
05-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah the dual output thing i found is really not what I want on my AR. For now the X300 on a MI FSB mount is working great, keeps the weapon balanced, as the light is still close to the centerline. I might upgrade to a Scout light although I've seen them used for pretty cheap, about the same price as my X300 was brand new.

ExtremeX
05-25-2012, 10:36 AM
I stopped using lights with 1" tubes on my ARs... Most of them are 2 CR123 type sizes, often times adds too much bulk for me.

Its harder to find a good mount for it, but I use the Klarus XT1C now. Single cell CR123, has a awsome remote pressure pad option, always starts in high mode, very light, and still has a ton of output for what you need to do with it.

I own over 15 flashlights, and this is the one I decided to use.

http://shop.oragie.com/images/klarus-xt1c.jpg
http://batarejkin.com.ua/image/cache/data/Klarus/XT1C/e068cfcf8144f93130946623ff0580ef-300x300.jpg

hayaku
05-25-2012, 11:44 AM
for a tactical light, AVOID all multifunction controls. No dual output (hi, low), no strobe, no multifunction anything. Just on and off. fast. otherwise you compromise your position and are unable to use the darkness to your advantage. strobe only is fine. low lumen only is fine. full power lumens is fine. just no multiple press to cycle through. just on and off.

take a low light/night tactics class and you will throw all the other multi function crap out of your tactical gear list. fine for use under the sink, but doesn't below next to a gun.