PDA

View Full Version : Which direction do I install the bolt catch roll pin?

sig808
05-24-2012, 8:28 AM
Hello

Building my first lower. After reading and watching a bunch of things online, it appears that people install the bolt catch roll pin from both the rear and the front. Just wanted to check with the brain trust here.....

Does it matter which direction I drive the bolt catch roll pin in from?

Thanks.

TruEdge
05-24-2012, 8:34 AM
I have done them both ways with a regular punch. I think it would be easier to do it from the right side and drive it towards the front of the mag well. The punch they make that has one side of it ground down so it fits straight in line with the roll pin is nice but you can do it with a regular punch. If you have a spiral roll pin it will be easier as well.

artoaster
05-24-2012, 8:41 AM
The most difficult of all roll pins in lower assembly, IMHO.

Reverend Clint
05-24-2012, 9:22 AM
ive tried to use a roll pin on this one but i use a wrench thats been taped up.

sig808
05-24-2012, 9:33 AM
Great thanks. Sounds like either way is fine.

Intimid8tor
05-24-2012, 9:37 AM
I agree it is the toughest one. I like the lowers now that have a threaded pin for the bolt catch. Important on builds like 9mm builds where bolt catches break.

steve92407
05-24-2012, 9:37 AM
I drive the pin right to left,because the mag well is raised higher to the center line .

sig808
05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Sounds like the brownells punch with the side ground flat is worth the $.

Dhena81
05-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Sounds like the brownells punch with the side ground flat is worth the $.

I have one it works flawlessly

Dirtbiker
05-24-2012, 10:51 AM
I have the Brownells punch and the pivot pin install tool and they are both well worth the $.

hornswaggled
05-24-2012, 12:25 PM
I obliterated my first roll pin. The JD machine hole was so tight that the roll pin metal was beaten into smithereens by the punch. I sanded down another pin with 600 grit before install and that one went it smooth.

TruEdge
05-24-2012, 12:52 PM
That's why I prefer the spiral roll pins. Every time I have installed one they have gone in smooth with no issues at all with a normal punch you can buy anywhere. The non spiral pins usually require more caressing with a hammer. If your patient and take your time you can save yourself some money by not buying the special punch and just using a normal one. Piece of cake.

xpbprox
05-24-2012, 1:01 PM
That's why I prefer the spiral roll pins. Every time I have installed one they have gone in smooth with no issues at all with a normal punch you can buy anywhere. The non spiral pins usually require more caressing with a hammer. If your patient and take your time you can save yourself some money by not buying the special punch and just using a normal one. Piece of cake.

This.
You dont need special tools. The first time I did it, it went in perfect. I drive it in from the rear, sometimes Ill use vise grips taped with electrical tape to start it in there. Ive come to notice that some LPKs have crappy roll pins. I like the CMMG kits.

You dont need a lower vise block or brownells punches. Just to to harborfreight, and be smart about what you're doing.

h0use
05-24-2012, 1:03 PM
little drop of oil helps it go in smooth

p1choco
05-24-2012, 1:38 PM
Beveling the end of the pin similar to sharpening a pencil will assist with starting the pin in the hole and making it easier to install.

Army
05-24-2012, 2:03 PM
Heavy tape on the receiver to ward off any wayward hits from the brass hammer. Needle-nose pliars holding the pin at the hole: tap lightly until started, tap hard until seated. Roll-pin punch to finish seating.

Done uncountable hundreds. Never a problem this way.

george223
05-24-2012, 9:55 PM
I tap the roll pin lightly from the rear to get it to sit in place, then I use taped up channel locks to squeeze it in. Then I tap it in with a small punch to recess it slightly. I bought a set of long punches from harbor freight that really helped alot.

Now try removing one. I have 1 pushed as far forward as it would go in a receiver that I'm not using right now. Can't get it the rest of the way out so I'll just leave it for now.

I gotta agree. This is the most difficult roll pin to install.