PDA

View Full Version : PPT Question

Damiiaaannn
05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm doing a transfer with another calgunner and my ffl said he needs proof of residency to get the rifle I'm trading him. Is that true? I thought it was only for handguns.

jww
05-23-2012, 10:21 PM
I've always had to show a second proof of residency. This been for both handgun and longgun. I usually give them my license and truck registration.

Librarian
05-23-2012, 11:47 PM
If the FFL thinks it is, it is required at that shop.

But the proof of residency stuff is in the law only for handguns.

ns3v3n
05-24-2012, 9:30 AM
What the librarian said, unless you're not a US citizen, then you will need to show proof of residency for the past 90 days, for both handgun and long gun. If you are a citizen, you can always take your business else where if you dont like their policy.

alfred1222
05-24-2012, 9:35 AM
What the librarian said, unless you're not a US citizen, then you will need to show proof of residency for the past 90 days, for both handgun and long gun. If you are a citizen, you can always take your business else where if you dont like their policy.

I agree with this

tenpercentfirearms
05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
If your DL or ID address does not match your current address, then you will need a government issued document that shows your current address. So in a sense, yes, you might need proof of residency.

If your DL or ID address matches your current address that is written on your 4473, then you need nothing further, unless the gun shop wants it because they like doing more work than is necessary.

r1ghtw1ng
05-24-2012, 1:22 PM
If your DL or ID address does not match your current address, then you will need a government issued document that shows your current address. So in a sense, yes, you might need proof of residency.

Really? What gov't issued document besides my DL would show my current address if I've just moved? Neither my passport/soc sec card list an address.

I usually bring a utility bill and that is sufficient even though my DL has my old address.

shy 7th
05-24-2012, 1:33 PM
I'm confused, can't a PPT only happen between 2 CA residents? In which case the FFL would need to know that both the seller and the buyer live here in order for the transfer to be a PPT (otherwise be an FFL transfer).

Librarian
05-24-2012, 2:03 PM
I'm confused, can't a PPT only happen between 2 CA residents? In which case the FFL would need to know that both the seller and the buyer live here in order for the transfer to be a PPT (otherwise be an FFL transfer).

Yes, but for rifles law requires only identification - and that is either CA Driver License, or CA ID card, or Military ID with PCS orders to CA.

See the DOJ's FAQ at 14 (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#14G) and following.

shy 7th
05-24-2012, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the link Librarian! I was getting confused by the CGN wiki where it was talking about residents.

Can I perform a PPT with a non California resident?

No. The DROS software will accept only CA identification or a Military ID, so PPT's are currently limited to California residents or those with Military ID's and California PCS Orders.

I just assumed you would have to prove residency because it was talking about IDs and stuff.

tenpercentfirearms
05-24-2012, 3:10 PM
Really? What gov't issued document besides my DL would show my current address if I've just moved? Neither my passport/soc sec card list an address.

I usually bring a utility bill and that is sufficient even though my DL has my old address.

Any government issued document. Hunting/fishing license, utility bills from a municipality (PG&E no, LA DWP or local water district yes), CCW licenses, pilots license, etc. Anything government issued.

r1ghtw1ng
05-24-2012, 4:12 PM
Any government issued document. Hunting/fishing license, utility bills from a municipality (PG&E no, LA DWP or local water district yes), CCW licenses, pilots license, etc. Anything government issued.

Interesting... then technically, I should not have been able to complete the last two PPTs I've done with just my PG&E bill/old DL. I better get my butt over to the DMV pronto.