PDA

View Full Version : SBR Constructive Possession?

mud99
05-23-2012, 9:18 PM
So i'm looking at building a Suomi M31 from a parts kit. These kits contain a demilled receiver, 12" barrel, and rifle stock.

Building one of these involves lengthening the barrel, and rewelding the receiver in a specific way which prevents the FA parts from being used and does not create an NFA weapon at any time in the process.

My question is - if I complete the receiver first but do not assemble it while having a 12" barrel and a rifle stock in my residence, do I have an SBR contructive possesion issue? Do I need to lengthen the barrel first or store the barrel or stock elsewhere?

chris
05-23-2012, 9:20 PM
uh yes. the barrel length is supposed to be no shorter than 16" any shorter and you have a SBR and yes just having the upper i believe is constructive possession even if you have no intention of putting them together.

others may chime in if i missed anything.

mud99
05-23-2012, 9:26 PM
That's what I thought. Here's where it gets more complicated - if I have two barrels (since I bought two parts kits), lengthen one, build the receiver, and assemble it into a legal firearm, do I still have a constructive possession issue since I still have a second barrel which is short and an assembled gun which could theoretically take it?

If so it makes it kind of hard to stockpile Suomi parts kits.

socalblue
05-23-2012, 9:56 PM
That's what I thought. Here's where it gets more complicated - if I have two barrels (since I bought two parts kits), lengthen one, build the receiver, and assemble it into a legal firearm, do I still have a constructive possession issue since I still have a second barrel which is short and an assembled gun which could theoretically take it?

If so it makes it kind of hard to stockpile Suomi parts kits.

:( Yes

Get BOTH barrels lengthened BEFORE doing anything else.

mud99
05-23-2012, 10:22 PM
I hate to say it, but I think a lot of suomi builders might not be aware of this.

All the build threads go into great detail about disabling the FA components, but a lot of guys build the receiver, then lengthen, or have multiple parts kits lying around.

I guess one option would be to make the receiver incompatible with the old barrel, maybe with a keyway of some sort.

goober
05-23-2012, 10:27 PM
:( Yes

Get BOTH barrels lengthened BEFORE doing anything else.

or build and have on hand a legal pistol capable of using the shorter barrel(s) before possessing said barrel(s) and a finished "rifle" receiver.
as long as there is a legit way to use the component that could also be used illegally, you have a potential way out of a constructive possession beef.