PDA

View Full Version : LA County CCW question

aarik
05-09-2007, 12:25 AM
is there a way to obtain a CCW in LA County?

I understand that a Ventura county resident can easily obtain a CCW, which is valid all over California. A Los Angeles County resident however is out of luck.

-H

E Pluribus Unum
05-09-2007, 12:32 AM

I understand that a Ventura county resident can easily obtain a CCW, which is valid all over California. A Los Angeles County resident however is out of luck.

-H

Move to Orange County.

tango-52
05-09-2007, 5:38 AM
LA County is nearly impossible unless you are a judge or otherwise well connected. Orange County is very reasonable. Ventura County issues, but is very slow, as in a year or more. For more details on getting a CCW in California, check out www.calccw.com

Paladin
05-09-2007, 7:17 AM
Contact "Team Billy Jack" over at: www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

They may be able to help you.

Also, go thru: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=51244

So, if you want a CCW in LAC bad enough and have the cajones to follow through, it might be doable. "Team Billy Jack" will let you know based on your "Good Cause" and their information re LAC.

1911su16b870
05-09-2007, 8:48 AM

...A Los Angeles County resident however is out of luck.

-H

Los Angeles County CCW is LA County Sheriff, Lee Baca Chief LEO.

Good Cause is an existing threat on you or yours. Nothing else.

If you do not have an existing threat that can only be mitigated by you having a CCW, the next best way to get a CCW in LA County is to become a LEO, LEO Reserve or Judge.

Glock22Fan
05-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Los Angeles County CCW is LA County Sheriff, Lee Baca Chief LEO.

Good Cause is an existing threat on you or yours. Nothing else.

If you do not have an existing threat that can only be mitigated by you having a CCW, the next best way to get a CCW in LA County is to become a LEO, LEO Reserve or Judge.

I'd rule out the Leo reserve option. Unless you really want to devote your life to it, it's thousands of hours of labor, for little or no reward, and no guarantee that you will get a CCW. Indeed, some of the city PD's in L.A.C. even prohibit their Level 1 (and that's the highest level) reserves from carrying off-duty.

However, if you do have a reasonable good cause, have the nerve to go through the legal process, and are prepared to up-front some (not all) of the costs, then get in touch with us - as we believe that L.A. is wide open to legal action.

Or, of course, you could become really rich and famous, invite Baca to your parties, fund his next election and then apply. Even a cursory glance at Baca's CCW list, compared with Baca's Contributors' list, will suggest that this is an effective option. Can you spell "Corruption?"

Knauga
05-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Unless you are Shaq you need to move. San Berdo is just to the east of you and is nearly shall issue. OC is good if you can massage your good cause.

Desert Rat
05-09-2007, 1:39 PM
Unless you are Shaq you need to move. San Berdo is just to the east of you and is nearly shall issue. OC is good if you can massage your good cause.

+1 on Sam Berdoo. I love the smell of dust and Bullseye in the morning!

aarik
05-09-2007, 2:16 PM
thanks for all the good info everyone. lots of reading to do :)

looks like the only way to get it is to move to say OC. So hypothetically, can i rent an apartment, change my car registration to that new address and apply for CCW. Once i get it, can i still keep it if i "move" back to LA?

As far as "good cause" goes; i would like to try to schedule an armed robbery, car jacking, or some other mortal treat in advance but i am just not sure who to contact???

-H

tango-52
05-09-2007, 2:21 PM
You must reside in the County that issues the permit. Once you move to a new County, the permit expires in, I believe, 60 days. Don't try to play games with residency. They check. If they catch you trying to fake it, it would be very bad for you. If you knew when you were scheduled to be robbed, etc., then you could just have the police standing by. Therefore you wouldn't need a CCW. Since we don't know these things, that is why CA should be "shall issue" like 40 other states. But we can't be trusted.:mad:

Knauga
05-09-2007, 2:28 PM
Tango 52 is right, you don't want to get caught trying to "game" the system. If you get caught at best you will never see a CCW, at worst lying on the application is a crime.

aarik
05-09-2007, 2:41 PM
yes i just read that part on an article here: www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/gettingstarted/ccwarticle.html

as far as the scheduling of robberies :) it was just a sarcastic remark.

"

At this point, let me clear up one common misconception regarding your residence. It is usually understood that the address on your driving license is your official residence, and that then decides the authority to which you apply for a CCW. Sometimes, people who live in difficult areas think that they can circumvent this by renting an address in an easier area, getting a few utility bills at that address, and applying there. As an extreme example, a group of like-minded people might consider clubbing together to rent a weekend cabin in a remote area and then each applying to that sheriff. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS! The chances of being caught out are high and your record will be adversely affected. However, someone from a rural area attending college in an urban area, might be able to legitimately use his or her rural address, provided it can be demonstrated that the urban address is a temporary location, and the real home is the rural home, to which the student regularly (perhaps most weekends) returns. The same logic would apply to someone who maintains a family home in the country, while spending some time each week staying in the city to avoid too much commuting time. However, if you are dreaming up artificial schemes to deceive the authorities, you are considering behavior that cannot be recommended or condoned. "

aarik
05-09-2007, 2:43 PM
don't get me wrong, i would never do anything illegal. But i am open to loopholes that are 100% legal. There is nothing wrong with that.