PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Alert: Boring Picture of a Target

Chontkleer
05-23-2012, 5:58 PM
Evidence that I'm not ready for competition yet. Still can't hit one inch dots consistently when clearing a target at 100 yards. (It *was* pretty windy out there though).

Hit or miss at 600 too. Pheh.

Met a very amiable calgunner out there though so all in all a great afternoon.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/2012-05-23_15-39-26_865.jpg

mattt
05-23-2012, 6:20 PM
Looks alot better then most of my targets and I shoot long range comp all the time. Targets dont mean anything to anyone but you. Who ever reads the wind the best at a match wins. All good rifles and scopes can shoot that is what they were built for.

morfeeis
05-23-2012, 6:23 PM
Evidence that I'm not ready for competition yet. Still can't hit one inch dots consistently when clearing a target at 100 yards. (It *was* pretty windy out there though).

Hit or miss at 600 too. Pheh.

Met a very amiable calgunner out there though so all in all a great afternoon.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/2012-05-23_15-39-26_865.jpg
You've seen how bad i am so stop you're *****ing you did great.

ps we need to go out again soon, i found out the second bay in that area we went to is much MUCH better then the one we were in. I understand why that guy was like "no go ahead take this one we'll use the other".

Chontkleer
05-23-2012, 6:30 PM
Looks alot better then most of my targets and I shoot long range comp all the time. Targets dont mean anything to anyone but you. Who ever reads the wind the best at a match wins. All good rifles and scopes can shoot that is what they were built for.

You don't think it helps to learn how to control a rifle first with no or little wind before trying to figure out what the hell you're doing in wind?

How do you usually place in the competitions?

Chontkleer
05-23-2012, 6:30 PM
You've seen how bad i am so stop you're *****ing you did great.

ps we need to go out again soon, i found out the second bay in that area we went to is much MUCH better then the one we were in. I understand why that guy was like "no go ahead take this one we'll use the other".

Sounds good. What's better about the other one? Is it deeper?

wooger
05-23-2012, 6:31 PM
I would recommend going to a mid or long range match. You will learn much faster than you will shooting point blank range with no flags.

wooger
05-23-2012, 6:32 PM
How do you usually place in the competitions?

He's been known to actually finish now and then!

Chontkleer
05-23-2012, 6:36 PM
I would recommend going to a mid or long range match. You will learn much faster than you will shooting point blank range with no flags.

Shhh... I'm trying to avoid wind as long as possible. Can't read it, don't know what direction it's blowing unless there are Italian Cypresses lining the range, can barely see mirage in my scope.

wooger
05-23-2012, 6:45 PM
Exactly my point. I would recommend looking up the location of your local "practical" or high power matches and start learning how to read conditions concurrently with learning proper form.

mattt
05-23-2012, 6:48 PM
Was not trying to be a,hole at all just saying your targets are good . Take it to the next level .:)

Chontkleer
05-23-2012, 6:51 PM
Exactly my point. I would recommend looking up the location of your local "practical" or high power matches and start learning how to read conditions concurrently with learning proper form.

Do people use wind meters in competition or do they always use flags or does it just depend on what type of competition it is? I'd like to get started with these which feature shooting from different positions:

http://www.caprc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3802

Don't know if they use flags there...

Chontkleer
05-23-2012, 6:55 PM
Was not trying to be a,hole at all just saying your targets are good . Take it to the next level .:)

Yeah, I guess that's the only way to improve. Was just thinking though that if I can't reliably hit big steel targets at 600 prone, I should spend a little more time working on the basics.. but I guess it's like math where when you move on to the next related topic the one before makes more sense.

wooger
05-23-2012, 7:06 PM
Do people use wind meters in competition or do they always use flags or does it just depend on what type of competition it is? I'd like to get started with these which feature shooting from different positions:

http://www.caprc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3802

Don't know if they use flags there...

Wind meters and natural indicators rule in that discipline.

rksimple
05-23-2012, 8:45 PM
What rifle and ammo?

Bet if it were an 18" 308, you'd be cleaning targets like crazy...

Chontkleer
05-23-2012, 9:08 PM
What rifle and ammo?

Bet if it were an 18" 308, you'd be cleaning targets like crazy...

Nyah.

700 .308 with the ridiculously long shl... 26" barrel. You don't even need slow motion camera, you can see it wagging around like a silly dog's tail after every shot.

rksimple
05-23-2012, 9:16 PM
Nyah.

700 .308 with the ridiculously long shl... 26" barrel. You don't even need slow motion camera, you can see it wagging around like a silly dog's tail after every shot.

Are you reloading?

My 26-28" barrels that shoot in the 2's and 3's all the time don't seem to suffer this theoretical "wagging" you mention. Shoot more, pontificate less.

Chontkleer
05-23-2012, 9:33 PM
Are you reloading?

My 26-28" barrels that shoot in the 2's and 3's all the time don't seem to suffer this theoretical "wagging" you mention. Shoot more, pontificate less.

No, reloading equipment and the wacky new world of handloads comes next month.

Pontificating? Sorry, don't see it.

That was great information on the barrel length thread btw, and I did appreciate it.

morfeeis
05-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Sounds good. What's better about the other one? Is it deeper?
Way deeper, about 600 yards or so......