PDA

View Full Version : Cash Loan Inc. aka South City Pawn FFL

SFSig
05-23-2012, 3:23 PM
I purchased a rifle and was planning on using said FFL, but I'm having issues and I want your all's opinion.

Cash Loan is asking for the first 3 and the last 5 of Atlantic Firearms FFL# before faxing them paperwork. Have you guys ever heard of a FFL asking for this info before faxing off a copy of the lic? On the other hand, Atlantic Firearms is refusing to give me that info and will only give it to Cash Loan. Is that being unreasonably private?

I only do this once in a blue moon so sorry if this is noob territory. It's just frustrating because my firearm is ready to ship and this is the only thing holding it up!

BTW, if anyone has any suggestions for FFL's in Marin/SF/SSF/Peninsula then I'm open. Cash Loan is just close and relatively inexpensive, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle (if indeed this is unusual). I've used them before but it's been years and maybe things have changed. I don't remember it being this hard at all...

Intimid8tor
05-23-2012, 3:31 PM
I guess it all depends. I have seen some FFL's with their license number on their website. I had an FFL that just gave me a stack of signed copies to use when I needed one to ship firearms in. You can always vote with your feet and go to another local FFL to receive it.

busta00
05-23-2012, 3:42 PM
i use brian nussbaum. he is in burlingame
http://www.bnussco.com/

gemini1
05-23-2012, 3:52 PM
Call CityArms in Pacifica, they're one of Calguns sponsor.

ke6guj
05-23-2012, 4:02 PM
I purchased a rifle and was planning on using said FFL, but I'm having issues and I want your all's opinion.

Cash Loan is asking for the first 3 and the last 5 of Atlantic Firearms FFL# before faxing them paperwork. Have you guys ever heard of a FFL asking for this info before faxing off a copy of the lic? On the other hand, Atlantic Firearms is refusing to give me that info and will only give it to Cash Loan. Is that being unreasonably private?What Cash Loan wants is the info that they would need to run Atlantic through ATF's FFL EZ-check program to make sure the FFL is still valid. That is why ATF set up the program, and they suggest that FFLs don't give out copies of the FFL to the public, to just give them the frist 3 and last 5. Why Atlantic is adverse to giving you that, I dunno, but I'll do it for them, it's public data, 8-52-XXX-XX-XX-00832 . Thats all Cash Loan should need to be comfortable that Atlantic Firearms is valid and that CL can send AF a copy of their FFL.

jpm804
05-23-2012, 4:02 PM
Sounds like you might have to find an alternative FFL for the transfer...

All FFLs will have their own policies and it sounds if AF will not provide their FFL might be an issue..

BALDANDTOPLESS
05-23-2012, 4:04 PM
Why doesnt your FFL just call Atlantic?

Brian's great, but a little pricey.

strongpoint
05-23-2012, 4:11 PM
cash loan asked for the same info from fulton armory when i DROSed my AR lower. fulton asked me for CLI's phone number, and they cleared it up over the phone.

i use CLI for most of my transfers now after a bad experience with roger's relics (south bay was too far to drive anyway). dave and his staff are pretty cool, and the price was reasonable last time i needed a transfer.

i use brian nussbaum. he is in burlingame
http://www.bnussco.com/

i didn't know about this guy. thanks for the reference.

Call CityArms in Pacifica, they're one of Calguns sponsor.

you sure about this? last time i called cityarms to ask, they told me they weren't handling internet transfers.

sfhondapilot
05-23-2012, 5:25 PM
I have used CLI for two handgun transfers and will be transferring a long gun shortly through them. David and Rick are great to work with.

SFSig
05-23-2012, 5:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback... It's just been a while so I'm a little rusty on what the norm is.

I did call City Arms a couple weeks back and they said that the Pacifica location is no longer doing transfers, but that the Pleasanton (?) location does. Didn't even know about them having a second location.

Thordo
05-23-2012, 6:58 PM
Hi SFSig,
We use our FFL strictly for manufacturing but did you try California Derringer in San Mateo or Golden Gate Guns in San Bruno? Tabor's only does private party but I hear he's starting to sell ARs again. I'll have to get over there to confirm.

P.S. Every shop and/or FFL has their own policy on how to get docs from other FFLs for transfers. You just gotta go with the flow.

Thordo

TreeHugger
05-23-2012, 9:15 PM
I have used CLI for two handgun transfers and will be transferring a long gun shortly through them. David and Rick are great to work with.

The last x i chked, about 2 months ago, rick no longer works there. Rick was pretty cool.

tonelar
05-23-2012, 9:27 PM
Hi SFSig,
We use our FFL strictly for manufacturing but did you try California Derringer in San Mateo or Golden Gate Guns in San Bruno? Tabor's only does private party but I hear he's starting to sell ARs again. I'll have to get over there to confirm.

P.S. Every shop and/or FFL has their own policy on how to get docs from other FFLs for transfers. You just gotta go with the flow.

Thordo

Just to confirm, Tabors doesnt do transfers but yes he def has ARs for sale again. I didn't know CLI was still in SSF. Neat thread.

Thordo
05-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Just to confirm, Tabors doesnt do transfers but yes he def has ARs for sale again. I didn't know CLI was still in SSF. Neat thread.

COOL!! I'll have to stop by and say hi to Frank!!

Thordo

SFSig
05-24-2012, 1:00 PM
So I emailed and called Atlantic Firearms and spoke with their shipping department. Super nice and helpful and called Cash Loan on my behalf. They even followed up with me by phone to let me know everything is now in order and my order will ship tomorrow most likely. Said that in the future I *shouldn't* have to go through this again as they will keep CLI FFL paperwork on file...

sfhondapilot
05-24-2012, 5:45 PM
The last x i chked, about 2 months ago, rick no longer works there. Rick was pretty cool.

I haven't been to CLI for a couple months. Sorry to hear that Rick is no longer there.

So I emailed and called Atlantic Firearms and spoke with their shipping department. Super nice and helpful and called Cash Loan on my behalf. They even followed up with me by phone to let me know everything is now in order and my order will ship tomorrow most likely. Said that in the future I *shouldn't* have to go through this again as they will keep CLI FFL paperwork on file...

Yup, it gets easier once the local FFL and the out of state FFL get their initial paperwork out of the way.

sfhondapilot
06-02-2012, 2:21 PM
Just thought I would add one thing to this thread.

I was at South City Pawn this morning to DROS my new Henry 44 mag lever rifle. Apparently South City Pawn has been contacted by Dept of Equalization and has been told to collect use tax (not sales tax) on PPT's (use tax is the same tax you pay when you buy a used car in CA).

Just getting this information out there.

shark92651
06-02-2012, 2:51 PM
I don't understand why some FFLs are so difficult on things like this. 5 seconds on Google would reveal that Atlantic Firearms is legit and that the fax # does indeed belong to them. Atlantic should not have a problem giving out a partial FFL number to anyone that asks, dealer or not - that is what the EZ-Check website is there for.