PDA

View Full Version : creating councils of elders.

nicki
05-23-2012, 3:48 PM
Over the years I have met many of you, one thing I have found is that our organization generally is full of people who are under 60.

While it is good that we are getting younger people, the problem is many of us have life obligations like jobs, family, etc.etc. That puts severe limitations on our time.

However, there are firearms owners who are retired, who do care and probably would get active in preserving gun rights if they were shown how.

Many state gun control laws get a start locally, if we had people who could show up on a regular basis to city and county board meetings to oppose these items, we could stop alot of problems before they start.

Our elder council could have spokespeople who could talk with media on gun related stories. The sad truth is the press is generally is undera tight time schedule for all stories and if they don't have access to anyone from our side, then our side doesn't get heard.

An anti gun chief of police then gets to talk with no opposition.

If we had our people on the ground level we could start shifting the dialogue.

The problem is we need people who have the time to do these activities during normal working hours, retired people fill the bill.

Many times it isn't the amount of time, it is when.

In every society that thrived, they did so because the older generations provided mentorship and stewardship for the upcoming generations so that things would be better for the upcoming generations.

I believe we have many retired gun owners who are willing to step up, we just got to ask and bring them up to speed on new things like the internet and for some, modern ergonomic guns.

BTW, seniors are the group that votes the most.

Nicki

M. D. Van Norman
05-23-2012, 4:05 PM
Youíve described the status quo. We already have a ďcouncil of elders.Ē Itís called the National Rifle Association.

http://mdvannorman.blogspot.com/2011/03/right-to-arms-rally-in-los-angeles.html

FastFinger
05-23-2012, 4:24 PM
A problem with the NRA being the go-to spokesman is that they can't help but bring a lot of baggage into the interview setting. The baggage may be high quality ballistic polymer, but it's always notable. Sometimes that's a good thing, but often it's not.

Also the NRA is a national brand, to most people when the NRA speaks they hear an inside the beltway accent, when sometimes they'd hear more when a neighbor speaks.

The NRA is there, newsrooms have their phone number, but it would be great if a local number was there also.

Wrangler John
05-23-2012, 4:49 PM
Ah, the Court of Elders! Organized according to the teachings of Washington, Jefferson and Adams instead of John Calvin. Thus is born the Presbyters of the Second Amendment, and a new religion. That way the Second Amendment is established as a doctrine of faith granted by natural law preexisting the Constitution, thus establishing First Amendment protection as a religion.

Sorry I have consumed too much Kona Coffee.

Reilandlaw
05-23-2012, 4:58 PM
I think its a great idea - too bad I'm not ol...- I mean - elder :)

Meplat
05-23-2012, 5:11 PM
Youíve described the status quo. We already have a ďcouncil of elders.Ē Itís called the National Rifle Association.

http://mdvannorman.blogspot.com/2011/03/right-to-arms-rally-in-los-angeles.html

Problem is that gunnies old enough to be retired have seen NRA step on its own male appendage so many times that their support grows grudging and their patience thin.

Librarian
05-23-2012, 5:22 PM
Ah, the Court of Elders! Organized according to the teachings of Washington, Jefferson and Adams instead of John Calvin. Thus is born the Presbyters of the Second Amendment, and a new religion. That way the Second Amendment is established as a doctrine of faith granted by natural law preexisting the Constitution, thus establishing First Amendment protection as a religion.

Sorry I have consumed too much Kona Coffee.

Presbyters, Bishops, Rabbis and Mullahs, I would think. Think 'big tent'!

alfred1222
05-23-2012, 5:23 PM
I like this idea!!!

zvardan
05-23-2012, 5:24 PM
Why does "lord of the rings" come to mind?

freonr22
05-23-2012, 5:26 PM
I thought the members council filled this role? It is not said in jest. I saw many fine active people that were older the one meeting I went to. Although the time I went, they were not concerned about ab962 but more on non litigious roles, and I mean that with all respect.

OlderThanDirt
05-23-2012, 7:14 PM
Would this interfere with my nap time?

There is a lot of local interaction that already takes place. A bunch of us meet with LE and politicians on a regular basis.

M. D. Van Norman
05-23-2012, 8:25 PM
Problem is that gunnies old enough to be retired have seen NRA step on its own male appendage so many times that their support grows grudging and their patience thin.

For those who didnít get it, I was suggesting that many of the existing elders donít quite get it. :p

In all seriousness, what we need isnít a council of elders but effective leaders, young or old. The elders can have the credit and glory as long as the rest of us get the tangible benefits.

Meplat
05-23-2012, 8:40 PM
For those who didnít get it, I was suggesting that many of the existing elders donít quite get it. :p

In all seriousness, what we need isnít a council of elders but effective leaders, young or old. The elders can have the credit and glory as long as the rest of us get the tangible benefits.

It is not unusual for you to zing one over my head.:o

marcusrn
05-23-2012, 9:08 PM
Sage advice Nicki!

Even so many of the people involved in calguns are on the young side and doing a bang up job.

People who speak in film news format need training to speak in short cogent sound bites and even then if producer is biased you will be edited the best film ends up on the editing floor.

I think calguns has a much better image than the NRA and because they are newer, smaller, more web savvy can function more like light calvary riding anglo/arabians armed with Spencer repeating rifles.

Don't get me wrong. I know my limitations and would run if approached by reporters.

It is very important to have a tactical plan as all the elders who donate time and energy on this site have repeatedly stated. Your right, young or old have trained people ready to represent in articulate soundbites.

Wrangler John
05-24-2012, 3:34 AM
Presbyters, Bishops, Rabbis and Mullahs, I would think. Think 'big tent'!

By all means, leave no one behind!

M. D. Van Norman
05-24-2012, 8:04 AM
It is not unusual for you to zing one over my head.:o

I probably needed a sarcasm smiley :sarcasm: on my first post, but I didnít want it to appear aimed at nicki. :no:

The NRA on the other hand Ö :devil2:

Kuahana Coffee Co.
05-24-2012, 8:11 AM
...Sorry I have consumed too much Kona Coffee.

How's that working out for ya? ;)

Wherryj
05-24-2012, 8:38 AM
A problem with the NRA being the go-to spokesman is that they can't help but bring a lot of baggage into the interview setting. The baggage may be high quality ballistic polymer, but it's always notable. Sometimes that's a good thing, but often it's not.

Also the NRA is a national brand, to most people when the NRA speaks they hear an inside the beltway accent, when sometimes they'd hear more when a neighbor speaks.

The NRA is there, newsrooms have their phone number, but it would be great if a local number was there also.

I'd agree. The media always tags "The Gun Lobby" to anything involving the NRA. It's as if suddenly the NRA wasn't made up of all of us individual firearm owners and is somehow just a lobbyist for the manufacturers...