PDA

View Full Version : My M1 Garand WOW!

Donk310
05-23-2012, 2:13 PM
Okay... My M1 Garand has been sitting in the back of my safe (unfired) for about 3 years. It has only come out occasionally for me to hold while watching Band of Brothers here and there. Today I took this thing out to Angeles and fired it for the first time. If you were there today then you saw me cheesing for hours. WOW! I have found my new love. I've got to get another one for back-up.

Capybara
05-23-2012, 2:20 PM
Back of safe? Three years? Why? That is a criminal waste of a fine, classic military rifle.

Ubermcoupe
05-23-2012, 2:24 PM
It has only come out occasionally for me to hold while watching Band of Brothers here and there.

:sweatdrop: I thought I was the only one...

No pictures?

zfields
05-23-2012, 2:25 PM
3 years of not shooting a gun? I hardly make it couple days after picking something up.

Dreaded Claymore
05-23-2012, 2:30 PM
My M1 Garand...has only come out occasionally for me to hold while watching Band of Brothers here and there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like this. I can sometimes be found gripping my bayonet while watching Stargate SG-1.

live2suck
05-23-2012, 2:35 PM
Dude, my HRA comes out as often it can, and besides the 1903-A4, it's the only rifle that receives compliments at the range.

It's hands down my favorite rifle to shoot, a close second is the zombie tacticool AR. There just needs to be a faster way to load clips!

boamedt
05-23-2012, 2:38 PM
I too am guilty of caressing certain weapons durring certain shows and movies. My gf thinks I must b the only one.....guess not:D

ir0nclash86
05-23-2012, 3:16 PM
what kind of ammo were you shooting at angeles? I own a few garands but never had a chance to shoot any of them because all my ammo is magnetic

Capybara
05-23-2012, 3:27 PM
The Hornady that the CMP sells is great ammo at a good deal. Not as good a deal as HXP but they won't let us shoot that at Angeles.

444H3006R-500 (Non-Magentic)
Hornady .30-06 150 gr. FMJ-BT, 2750-2800 fps. Range Ammunition - 500 rounds in a case (50 rds per box, 10 boxes inside a cardboard over pack).
$425.00 S&H $19.95 per case

Josh3239
05-23-2012, 4:01 PM
what kind of ammo were you shooting at angeles? I own a few garands but never had a chance to shoot any of them because all my ammo is magnetic

I handload. You can go real cheap if you wanted just pull the bullet and put a non-magnetic in there. Invest in a bullet puller, .30 150gr bullets, seater die and a Lee press. That stuff shouldn't be more than $100. Later you can invest in full length sizer die, brass cleaning tools, priming tools and all the other equipment. I even handload my M2 spec 30-06 with the Lee Hand Loader.

ir0nclash86
05-23-2012, 4:11 PM
^^ I'll have to do that when I get some extra cash

Standard
05-23-2012, 6:51 PM
Going to shoot my Garand for the first time this weekend, can't wait!
Also, I plan to reload for it using the Lee single stage. Do you recommend it?

Josh3239
05-23-2012, 7:12 PM
I only have experience with the Hornady Single Stage and the Lee Hand. I don't know much about the Lee Single Stage, I'd recommend the reviews on Midway but they are all over the place, some swear by them and other hate em. The Hornady press is okay I suppose, the LnL feature is great but stay away from Hornady dies, they suck. The Lee hand is cheap and easy to use. After about 30 or so rounds of M2 loads it felt like my arm was going to fall off though.

smog7
05-23-2012, 7:16 PM
why another? you haven't shot this one in 3 years...

Standard
05-23-2012, 8:02 PM
I only have experience with the Hornady Single Stage and the Lee Hand. I don't know much about the Lee Single Stage, I'd recommend the reviews on Midway but they are all over the place, some swear by them and other hate em. The Hornady press is okay I suppose, the LnL feature is great but stay away from Hornady dies, they suck. The Lee hand is cheap and easy to use. After about 30 or so rounds of M2 loads it felt like my arm was going to fall off though.

Thanks for the feedback. Money's always a factor, so I'm thinking of getting the Lee anniversary kit that's always around $100 and starting there. I'll just keep getting HXP in the meantime and saving the brass, but I'd like to load my own as well.

lmudave
05-23-2012, 8:27 PM
I'm heading out tomorrow to shoot my HRA garand for the first time too! totally psyched.

Donk310
05-23-2012, 8:28 PM
Back of safe? Three years? Why? That is a criminal waste of a fine, classic military rifle.

Mainly because I needed an adjustable gas plug. Took me two years to order it, then once I got it, it took me another six months to install it. Then up till now to test it. Man I got kids... what more can I say.

Donk310
05-23-2012, 8:29 PM
why another? you haven't shot this one in 3 years...

Because I have Garand fever now. I need a different color. I once had AR fever, it wore off 5 ARs later.

Donk310
05-23-2012, 8:32 PM
Going to shoot my Garand for the first time this weekend, can't wait!
Also, I plan to reload for it using the Lee single stage. Do you recommend it?

Stand by for some of the most fun you will ever have shooting paper. Sorry, I don't reload, and I don't know a thing about it. I'm sure someone here can answer that for you if they haven't already.

Donk310
05-23-2012, 8:36 PM

I was using federal stuff from wally world. 180 grain. They checked my ammo like three times. But its good to go stuff if you have the cashola.

Xingu
05-23-2012, 8:42 PM
Okay... My M1 Garand has been sitting in the back of my safe (unfired) for about 3 years. It has only come out occasionally for me to hold while watching Band of Brothers here and there. Today I took this thing out to Angeles and fired it for the first time. If you were there today then you saw me cheesing for hours. WOW! I have found my new love. I've got to get another one for back-up.

OK Sir,
This is a clearcut case of firearms abuse. We will be sending someone to your house to surrender your firearms. If you can reform, you may one day be reunited with your firearms, however, it is not guaranteed. Please PM me your address and I will be over to take custody of the abused/neglected firearms.;)

Calplinker
05-23-2012, 8:57 PM
I bought an HR Service Grade Special from CMP a year or two ago and shot it a few times.

Lot's of nostalgia, particularly since my father carried one in WWII.

Having said that, it isn't one of my favorite rifles. Nothing against my particular rifle as it is nearly flawless and shoots great.

It's just that when it comes to older guns, I prefer the Mauser, SVT-40, SKS, or K11, etc., over the Garand. Not that they are better, its just that I prefer them, so that's what I reach for when I go shooting.

When bought it I got 6 or 800 rounds of ammo from CMP and have probably shot less than 100 through it.

I'll never sell it, but it just sits in the safe getting pushed further and further back as I reach for guns that I like better.

Not knocking the gun as I am better versed than most on its history. I'm just saying that for me, I'm just don't care all that much for it.

MrExel17
05-23-2012, 9:06 PM
3 years how dare you, I need me one of them.

MT1
05-23-2012, 9:44 PM
You guys take out your guns and fondle them while watching certain shows http://www.lolzilla.net/images/35267541458134674132.gif

Xingu
05-23-2012, 9:50 PM
I bought an HR Service Grade Special from CMP a year or two ago and shot it a few times.

Having said that, it isn't one of my favorite rifles. Nothing against my particular rifle as it is nearly flawless and shoots great.

It's just that when it comes to older guns, I prefer the Mauser, SVT-40, SKS, or K11, etc., over the Garand. Not that they are better, its just that I prefer them, so that's what I reach for when I go shooting.

When bought it I got 6 or 800 rounds of ammo from CMP and have probably shot less than 100 through it.

I'll never sell it, but it just sits in the safe getting pushed further and further back as I reach for guns that I like better.

Not knocking the gun as I am better versed than most on its history. I'm just saying that for me, I'm just don't care all that much for it.

Heretic. Blasphemer.:43:

You guys take out your guns and fondle them while watching certain shows http://www.lolzilla.net/images/35267541458134674132.gif

Not really certain shows. Any show. Sometimes I wake up early and cook breakfast for my Garand (before she wakes up) to show her how much I care. Then I rub her with bacon grease and we fool around on BLM land. Its Love. You will understand when you grow up and fall in love one day.;)

C.W.M.V.
05-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Back of safe? Three years? Why? That is a criminal waste of a fence post.

Good for you OP, getting it out and putting some lead down range.
But I just don't understand the garand thing. Feels so awful in hand.

Donk310
05-23-2012, 10:57 PM

I can certainly relate. I was you for 3 years.

Donk310
05-23-2012, 10:58 PM

Not mine :D

Donk310
05-23-2012, 11:00 PM

Well, I don't really fondle mine. I think there are laws against that. I just hold her. She's just a baby, she needs to be held.

ColdDeadHands1
05-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Friggin commie! Go back to Russia! :)

Root66
05-24-2012, 12:15 PM
My Garand has only been unused for three months at a time since I got it. Last time I pulled it down for a thorough cleaning this is what I found.

Capybara
05-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Shooting commercial or shooting recommended ammo?

Revolver Ocelot
05-24-2012, 1:05 PM
Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!

PING!

Legasat
05-24-2012, 1:18 PM
:ban:

cabinetguy
05-24-2012, 2:16 PM
My Garand has only been unused for three months at a time since I got it. Last time I pulled it down for a thorough cleaning this is what I found.

that sucks, but things do break after 50+ years

someR1
05-24-2012, 2:25 PM

that right there deserves several whip lashings !

george223
05-24-2012, 9:43 PM
3 yrs? I took mine out a couple of months ago for the 1st time in 20 years. When that 1st clip popped out, that was a good feeling. I'm going out again next week and I think I'll take it out again. As far as ammo goes, any 150 gr will do. Never worried about ammo. Always functioned just fine.

Calplinker
05-25-2012, 7:08 AM
I can certainly relate. I was you for 3 years.

My hope is that one day I'll take it shooting and fall in love with it. So far, that hasn't happened, which is sort of funny because I REALLY wanted a Garand before buying an M1A Scout instead.

I really like the Scout and it's one of my favorite guns. For awhile there I was into SKS's and bought a few. After awhile, I stopped shooting them, but they are still fun to take out every now and then.

Same with AK's. About the only thing that has been consistent along with the M1A are AR's and other semi-auto's, especially C&R semi's.

I'll hang on to the Garand and pass it down to my son. If my daughter likes shooting as we do, I'll pick up one for her too.

Capybara
05-25-2012, 7:14 AM
My Garand is definitely my favorite gun out of all of mine. It is beautiful, functional, historical and there is something very special about it.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/CMPGarandFull.jpg

MT1
05-25-2012, 8:44 AM
My Garand is definitely my favorite gun out of all of mine. It is beautiful, functional, historical and there is something very special about it.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/CMPGarandFull.jpg

Nice shot.:cool2:

p1choco
05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
That sir, is one gorgeous rifle!

Standard
05-25-2012, 10:52 AM
My Garand from my Av. Shooting it tomorrow :)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c318/ZUMin3K/1336697966863.jpg

GiggleSwitch
05-25-2012, 1:30 PM

You sir have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin Temple.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/smoothagent/2th_Bruce-Lee.gif

Sorry C.W.M.V. nothing personal, I just couldn't help myself :D That scene from Enter The Dragon immediately came to mind when I read your post. I tried to find a video of him just saying that particular line but all I could find was the entire 7 minute fight scene.

gotshotgun?
05-25-2012, 2:05 PM

You may not understand it and for that I only feel pity. The "garand thing" is a combination of a beautifully crafted piece of wood on metal combined with the knowledge that your rifle, if pre 45, was used in the most epic war of human kind. That that rifle in your hands now, saved and killed, and protected our country from something that so many people today chalk up to the history books without a second thought.

gotshotgun?
05-25-2012, 2:07 PM
Also, if 1 million 18 year old boys weighing 150 pounds could haul that rifle around the world for several years you should be embarrassed to call it too heavy for yourself.

C.W.M.V.
05-25-2012, 6:05 PM
You may not understand it and for that I only feel pity. The "garand thing" is a combination of a beautifully crafted piece of wood on metal combined with the knowledge that your rifle, if pre 45, was used in the most epic war of human kind.

Keep your pity.
I get the same feeling from a Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant or 98K. Any and all of these feel wonderful in hand and are a joy to shoot. Unlike the Garand.

That that rifle in your hands now, saved and killed, and protected our country from something that so many people today chalk up to the history books without a second thought.

Well guess since Ive served I dont need a rifle to feel that.

Also, if 1 million 18 year old boys weighing 150 pounds could haul that rifle around the world for several years you should be embarrassed to call it too heavy for yourself.

No one called it to heavy, I just said its uncomfortable. Like shooting a 4x4 post. I feel like I should hammer it into the ground and string chicken wire to it.

C.W.M.V.
05-25-2012, 6:07 PM
You sir have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin Temple.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/smoothagent/2th_Bruce-Lee.gif

Sorry C.W.M.V. nothing personal, I just couldn't help myself :D That scene from Enter The Dragon immediately came to mind when I read your post. I tried to find a video of him just saying that particular line but all I could find was the entire 7 minute fight scene.

No worries man, funny post!