PDA

View Full Version : GunSmith:Upper Receiver Assembly

Baga
05-23-2012, 1:25 PM
How much I will be spending for a gunsmith to assemble a AR 308 upper? COST and TIME?...And let's say I have all the main parts (upper receiver, barrel, gas block, gas tube, & handguard). I would maybe try doing it myself but I'm looking towards a certified/professional gunsmith handling this part of the build.

And correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like the main part of the upper build would be the barrel, gas tube, gas block, and handguard install. I didnt mention the BCG and Charging handle because that's pretty basic.

Nathan Krynn
05-23-2012, 2:01 PM
It is not really that hard to do.

1) Instal the gas tube in the gas block
2) put barrel in the upper
3) torque the barrel nut for the handguard you are using and they have a min/max torque so you go to min and then make sure the holes line up
4) slide the gas block on and screw/clamp it on with the right amount of torque if clamp, if screw then there probably is a dimple for one of the screws to go in, if not then screw in one to mark the location and then put the barrel in a drill press and slightly dimple the barrel. You can do both but most do not.
5) put on the rest of the handguard
6) put on muzzle device
7) shoot

This is the basics. It does require some tools and there are some tricks but what I wrote it the basics.

Don29palms
05-23-2012, 2:26 PM
Usually a gunsmith will do it for between 35-50 dollars. Sometimes less, sometimes a little more.

motorwerks
05-23-2012, 2:44 PM
Theres a lot of people on Calguns willing to help out too. I'm in Sacramento if you're willing to travel depending on what handguard you use I'm willing to do this stuff for free. I built my .308 and I've built probably 10, 15 uppers.

Baga
05-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Theres a lot of people on Calguns willing to help out too. I'm in Sacramento if you're willing to travel depending on what handguard you use I'm willing to do this stuff for free. I built my .308 and I've built probably 10, 15 uppers.

Thanks for the help offer. I will let you know if I need help if I ever find any available parts, haha...

CIV Tactical
06-01-2012, 5:58 AM
I can do it for you as well. I have the 308 tools needed and if its an LR.308 platform I made a custom upper receiver lapping tool for that platform. PM me if your interested I am in the east bay. you check out the pics in my vendor forum in build pics and check out one of the custom 308's I did for a client.