PDA

View Full Version : Spring tension question

r8dr rider
05-23-2012, 1:47 PM
I currently have a Mossberg 500 for HD. I keep only 2 shot shells in the tube for fear of wearing down the tube spring (don't know if that is the correct term) if I kept it fully loaded,5, would it wear the tension over time?

newglockster
05-23-2012, 1:57 PM
I think the spring would be fine, I have heard though that the shells may change their shape somewhat because of the constant pressure, and possibly not feed as well when you go to shoot. Just change the ammo out every so often maybe...

NYCShooter
05-23-2012, 2:29 PM
I currently have a Mossberg 500 for HD. I keep only 2 shot shells in the tube for fear of wearing down the tube spring (don't know if that is the correct term) if I kept it fully loaded,5, would it wear the tension over time?

No. Springs don't wear out from being compressed for long periods of time. They do, however, become fatigued after a great deal of use and should be replaced periodically. You can usually tell when a spring needs to be replaced, such as when shells are not ejecting properly, misfires are occurring, or shells are not feeding properly from the magazine.

IntoForever
05-23-2012, 5:19 PM
My .380 has two magazines that have been loaded to capacity since '93 when I bought them. Every decade I use them and not had any problem at all, in fact they are still a PITA to load due to being in 'new' condition. NYCShooter nailed it!

aippi
05-23-2012, 6:02 PM
This comes up every so often. A mag spring for an 870 cost $3.40 whether is a four shot or a 6 shot. I don't know what they cost for Mossberg or other models but it should not be much more. So I change mine every year. And I will state that they do set as when I change them out the ones I take out are much shorter and that is from being loaded for that year. If a spring losses 10% of it's tension I am sure it will still feed, however, I am not going to accept even a 5% loss when we are talking about my defense weapon.

I don't want to debate this as the above is a fact and if you simply take that old spring and lay it next to the new one you will see. If you think that there is even a slight chance that I am correct then you would decide to spend the $3.40 to ensure the best feed in a defense weapon. I refuse to risk anything when it comes to my life and the life of my loved ones so $3.40 is nothing.

I end my comment on this topic because these post don't end as some guys minds are as set as the old springs I take out and they want to argue about this mess.