PDA

View Full Version : AR15 magazine fitment issue

Tacit Blue
05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I got this issue with my AR15 where 10/30 standard G.I mags have a hard time fitting inside the mag well. Unless you " slap it in" pretty hard. The P-mags fit fine. I took some measurements with my digital caliper and I was hoping to compare to others.

The lower is made by Henderson Defense. I get .0912 inches from the internal dimensions of the mag well. And externally 1.305. And 2.845 length of the mag well.

The mags vary in dimensions. The P mag thickness is 0.871 (unloaded) 0.878 (loaded) and the C products mag with rounds inside measures at 0.890. Which is the one that has a harder time fitting easily into the magwell to "lock up properly" I know inserting ammo causes the mags to bulge out slightly.

Thoughts?

laabstract
05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Gi mags are always going to very a bit in size due to a couple reasons.
1 made by a variety of manufacturers
2 they are made by the lowest bidder

Even when I switched over to pmags I still slap my magazines to make sure they are properly seated, just muscle memory.

Tacit Blue
05-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Gi mags are always going to very a bit in size due to a couple reasons.
1 made by a variety of manufacturers
2 they are made by the lowest bidder

Even when I switched over to pmags I still slap my magazines to make sure they are properly seated, just muscle memory.

Yeah. when I say "slap them in", it's to ensure proper lock up like you stated. 98% of the time with a good slap, it works fine. The other percentage it will go in and not lock up. Require another " hard slap". The P-Mags don't have this issue. I'm starting to wonder if the placement of my mag catch on the receiver was cut to high?

dbo31
05-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I've had this issue with a few mags..good slap and they went in but they all ran fine through my rifle..not a FTF or FTE to be found in any of my mags once seated right..any issues with feeding?

Tacit Blue
05-23-2012, 12:24 PM
I've had this issue with a few mags..good slap and they went in but they all ran fine through my rifle..not a FTF or FTE to be found in any of my mags once seated right..any issues with feeding?

Yes, when I use the 10 rd C products mag. When I send the " bolt home" sometimes it will chamber a round half way and get stuck on the feed ramps, requiring use of the forward assist to seat it properly.

Keep in mind this is a rifle with over 1,500+ rounds. Everything should be worn in by now, I've just dealt with it for some time.

dbo31
05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
hmm..all lubed up i assume?

Tacit Blue
05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
hmm..all lubed up i assume?

Yeah.

Tacit Blue
05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
From the bottom of the mag well to the mag catch it measures 1.482. Is there any reference chart or sizing I can refer to you?

laabstract
05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Try backing out your magazine release a couple winds

Tacit Blue
05-23-2012, 7:12 PM
Try backing out your magazine release a couple winds

That fixes it intermittently. The radlock also uses a " O ring" so we thought that was the issue and turns out not.