PDA

View Full Version : Is the HSC study video available in Spanish?

atto
05-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Is the Handgun Safety Certificate study video available in Spanish?

Si, el video para estudiar el Certificado de seguridad de pistolas esta disponible en Español

Para poder pasar el examen con certeza, estudia el libro:

Spanish study guide:

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/finalspanishbook.pdf

oen-4KkpyQo

alfred1222
05-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Im not sure what youre trying to say with this thread....

Don29palms
05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
In all honesty, if you can't pass the handgun safety test without studying you probably shouldn't own a handgun to begin with. I'm not saying a person should be banned. I'm saying they are too stupid to safely own a gun.

Bluesami
05-23-2012, 1:14 PM
Uh if you don't know enough english to even take the text you probably shouldnt be allowed to own a gun.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

GMANtt
05-23-2012, 1:15 PM
Why should they have to learn your language?

Troll.

mecam
05-23-2012, 1:22 PM
It's useless if the test is not in Spanish. Most people fail because they can't comprehend English.

-

NytWolf
05-23-2012, 1:26 PM
I know that there are laws requiring documents to be in multiple languages, but I have yet to see actual laws printed in multiple languages.

Don29palms
05-23-2012, 1:30 PM
Why should they have to learn your language?

Troll.

They don't but if they want to take the test they need to learn the language the test is given in. Why should they have to print the test in a foreign language?

TROLL.

Rekrab
05-23-2012, 1:39 PM
They don't but if they want to take the test they need to learn the language the test is given in. Why should they have to print the test in a foreign language?

TROLL.

Someone's civil rights should not be restricted based on the language he or she speaks.

R.D.A
05-23-2012, 1:45 PM
Uh if you don't know enough english to even take the text you probably shouldnt be allowed to own a gun.

um do you mean test?

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

Montu
05-23-2012, 1:48 PM
isn't self defense a human right?

Echidin
05-23-2012, 2:10 PM

TROLL.

IIRC, the HSC test is available to take in Spanish.

Don29palms
05-23-2012, 2:22 PM
Someone's civil rights should not be restricted based on the language he or she speaks.

What civil rights are you talking about? If you are talking about 2A rights then the government can obviously put any "reasonable restrictions" on civil rights that they want to. We don't have rights. We have privileges the government allows us to have.

We use to have the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. For a long time now we only have Constitutional Guidelines and the Bill of Privileges.

sreiter
05-23-2012, 5:23 PM
blame ben franklin

there is no official language in the USA, so you can't dictation what language a test needs to be in

CAHighSierra
05-23-2012, 5:29 PM
Im more worried about people that need to study for the HSC, then not being able to understand english.

Glock22Fan
05-23-2012, 5:35 PM
Personally, I might favor Spanish as an option for the test, as soon as the Mexican thugs police start shouting "Drop the F***ing gun!" in English.

G60
05-23-2012, 5:53 PM
Stay classy, CGN.

Johnnykck
05-23-2012, 5:55 PM
ah, you want to live in America, learn to speak, read, write English. Seriously it's not a major exam, if you don't have enough understanding of the English language to take such a simple test how do you get along in everyday life?

radioman
05-23-2012, 6:14 PM
Don't you have to be a citizen to own a gun? If you can't speak, read or write English, how can you be a citizen?

Meplat
05-23-2012, 6:35 PM
Im more worried about people that need to study for the HSC, then not being able to understand english.YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

alfred1222
05-23-2012, 6:37 PM
Don't you have to be a citizen to own a gun? If you can't speak, read or write English, how can you be a citizen?

Can't you take the naturalization test in a foreign language?? I know in San Jose, you don't have to be an English speak to get a drivers license

Meplat
05-23-2012, 6:38 PM

No, just a legal resident.

joash
05-23-2012, 6:43 PM
Same as you can take the Driver's License test in many languages, why would the HSC be any different?

Meplat
05-23-2012, 6:50 PM
ah, you want to live in America, learn to speak, read, write English. Seriously it's not a major exam, if you don't have enough understanding of the English language to take such a simple test how do you get along in everyday life?

fácil que quedarse en casa y ver a los niños y niñas como una buena abuela. cuando su padre y la madre están trabajando

Easy; you stay home and watch the boys and girls like a good grandmother, when their father and mother are working.

kemasa
05-23-2012, 7:23 PM
Yes, the video is available in Spanish, as well has the handbook and the test.

Bluesami
05-23-2012, 7:34 PM
If you can't pass the HSC in english how do you even obey simple laws like stop, yield, no turn on red. Ect

Why is that so hard to comprehend?

theicecreamdan
05-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Safely operating a motor vehicle, and safely operating a handgun are different things.

pointedstick
05-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Jeez, it's amazing that people get so bent out of shape about this.

jmzhwells
05-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Can't you take the naturalization test in a foreign language?? I know in San Jose, you don't have to be an English speak to get a drivers license

You are right. I think the DMV prints handbooks and tests in 38 languages, but street signs, regulatory signs, and all other signs on the road, except advertisements are in english, so I really don't see the point in the other language tests and handbooks. If you cant read the signs, you should not have a license to drive. I think it is going too far.

vintagearms
05-23-2012, 11:19 PM
If I am going to live in Germany, I'm going to learn German. If I'm going to live in Russia, I'm going to learn Russian. I don't see what the issue is with mexicants not wanting to learn English. :confused:

kimber_ss
05-23-2012, 11:54 PM
The three most important words in that version of the HSC handbook. "Listos" "Apunten" "Fuego".

ColdDeadHands1
05-24-2012, 12:13 AM
I have nothing nice to say about this thread so I'll let Sam say it for me.

NSFW so not embedded

http://youtu.be/m_mDTLphIVY

Curley Red
05-24-2012, 8:35 AM

You shouldn't be allowed to take the test if you can not spell test. Therefore, no gun for you either.

Yemff
05-24-2012, 8:43 AM
Im more worried about people that need to study for the HSC, then not being able to understand english.

+1, who cares what language its in, as long as your not so dumb that you really have to 'study' for it extensively

FeuerFrei
05-24-2012, 9:04 AM
...and why isn't the test available in the Hmong language?
Hell why don't we just print everything in all languages on the planet! Just to be fair.
:beatdeadhorse5:

Mesa Tactical
05-24-2012, 9:10 AM

TROLL.

The HSC book is available in Spanish. It's not unreasonable to assume the video might be as well.

J.D.Allen
05-24-2012, 9:13 AM

I deal with U.S. citizens who don't speak English every day. It's pretty common in the border region. Most of them are born in the U.S. in cities and towns near the border, and are either raised in Mexico or their families go back and forth between the two countries.

J.D.Allen
05-24-2012, 9:16 AM

One of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in a long time. Why do people so frequently associate people's ability to speak English with their intelligence? I don't get it.

J.D.Allen
05-24-2012, 9:17 AM
If I am going to live in Germany, I'm going to learn German. If I'm going to live in Russia, I'm going to learn Russian. I don't see what the issue is with mexicants not wanting to learn English. :confused:

Apples to oranges. Vastly different histories and cultures in those countries. You think Spanish is the only language the courts in Spain use? Every country has to deal with its own situation accordingly.

joash
05-24-2012, 9:21 AM
Yeah, far more people are killed & injured by motor vehicles than guns in this country.

Safely operating a motor vehicle, and safely operating a handgun are different things.

J.D.Allen
05-24-2012, 9:22 AM
...and why isn't the test available in the Hmong language?
Hell why don't we just print everything in all languages on the planet! Just to be fair.
:beatdeadhorse5:

Perhaps if we had a border with China (I THINK that's where Hmong people are from) and had multiple millions of those people living here that spoke no English we would. Go look at the DMV documents. I think they're printed in like five languages. It's just the reality of the melting pot we live in.

pietropau9
05-24-2012, 9:23 AM
One of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in a long time. Why do people so frequently associate people's ability to speak English with their intelligence? I don't get it.

I don't think they are less inteligent. Just lazy. Everything is in english. Not eveything is in spanish. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to learn english. It's a big United States out there. You shouldn't limit yourself to just living in your spanish speaking house or neighborhood.

J.D.Allen
05-24-2012, 9:23 AM
Am I the only one that thinks the more important question is why this test even exists in the first place???

Old4eyes
05-24-2012, 9:29 AM
Am I the only one that thinks the more important question is why this test even exists in the first place???

BINGO!

J.D.Allen
05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't think they are less inteligent. Just lazy. Everything is in english. Not eveything is in spanish. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to learn english. It's a big United States out there. You shouldn't limit yourself to just living in your spanish speaking house or neighborhood.

So lazy people shouldn't be allowed to own firearms?

Look I agree with you about people learning English, not because I think they should have to but for their own good. I make my living working with people who don't speak English and I have been telling them that for years. And granted some people just don't make the effort. But have you ever tried to learn a different language? Especially as an adult? It ain't easy and some people just can't do it.

NytWolf
05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
isn't self defense a human right?

Obviously not. Why do you think CA-nians constantly have to prove their innocence in court after a shooting?

atto
05-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I knew this post would ruffle a few feathers but I posted this so Googlers would be able to find the information easily.

The Spanish video was available on Turner's website but they can take it down at anytime. I uploaded it to Youtube to make it more accessible.

I am bilingual and there were a few questions in the English test that once translated to Spanish, were almost impossible to comprehend. If Spanish speakers were forced to take the test in English they would surely not pass it. The HSC is pretty technical so why stack the odds against people by not allowing them to take it in Spanish?

For those against this post; would you rather force a non-English speaker to take the test in English and fail, or have them take the test in Spanish and add a new shooter to our ranks?

We need all the new shooters we can get especially with our gun rights being attacked everyday. After all, strength comes in numbers. Close-mindedness shouldn't interfere with others' rights.

I'm a little disappointed that the nay-sayers had to come in and show their true colors. I hope your posts don't turn anyone away.

Que tengan un bien dia :D

G60
05-24-2012, 11:05 AM
For those against this post; would you rather force a non-English speaker to take the test in English and fail, or have them take the test in Spanish and add a new shooter to our ranks?

I don't think you'll like the answer to that question, this is CGN, after all.

Bluesami
05-24-2012, 11:09 AM

I didn't say anything about intelligence.

The Cable Guy
05-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I just pray that if you're a non-English speaking firearm owner and a situation arises, that the responding officers speak your language...

Vacaville
05-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Exactly what I was thinking.

If you can't pass it blind, you're probably better off with a squirt gun.

Mesa Tactical
05-24-2012, 12:16 PM

We need all the new shooters we can get especially with our gun rights being attacked everyday. After all, strength comes in numbers. Close-mindedness shouldn't interfere with others' rights.

An interesting project for a gun rights advocacy group might be to make all these materials available in not only Spanish, but in Vietnamese, Mandarin, Korean, etc.

Scotty
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
To be naturalized as an US citizen, you will need to pass a written test in English and an interview given in English. I think they allow some leeway now for the elderly who can now use a translator.

The driver's license test used to be English only. Basically you learned enough English to pass the test if you want to drive. Wasn't a big deal then, it was just something you had to do.

I do think people are lazy now. English was not my first language and I'm a naturalized citizen. We didn't have the option back then to have documents printed in different language. You learn English and you get over it.

Meplat
05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
I knew this post would ruffle a few feathers but I posted this so Googlers would be able to find the information easily.

The Spanish video was available on Turner's website but they can take it down at anytime. I uploaded it to Youtube to make it more accessible.

I am bilingual and there were a few questions in the English test that once translated to Spanish, were almost impossible to comprehend. If Spanish speakers were forced to take the test in English they would surely not pass it. The HSC is pretty technical so why stack the odds against people by not allowing them to take it in Spanish?

I'm a little disappointed that the nay-sayers had to come in and show their true colors. I hope your posts don't turn anyone away.
Que tengan un bien dia :D

If you have been on this planet long enough to be able to buy a handgun and not already accidentally killed yourself, in some other way, you don’t need that stupid test. But you should easily be able to pass it in your native language. How many ways are there to say don’t look down the barrel and pull the trigger?

P. S. Some of the questions are so stupid as to be incomprehensible in English also; and at least one had no logical correct answer. And I don’t think any of the negative posts have been in Spanish. How could they turn away a non English reader?

xpbprox
05-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Most people in this forum can't even speak proper English. I don't see what language has to do with being able to safely operate a firearm.

Don't you guys support that homosexual group pink pistols. Civil Rights, right? Well what about people who don't speak English and want to own guns? Civil Rights, right?
I for one am not for catering to people who don't fully integrate and if this test in a foreign language would cost the GOV money then I am definitely not for it. I just don't think people are any les qualified to own a firearm just because they don't speak English.

Meplat
05-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I just pray that if you're a non-English speaking firearm owner and a situation arises, that the responding officers speak your language...

I think the odds are fairly good these days with Spanish.

Meplat
05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
To be naturalized as an US citizen, you will need to pass a written test in English and an interview given in English. I think they allow some leeway now for the elderly who can now use a translator.

The driver's license test used to be English only. Basically you learned enough English to pass the test if you want to drive. Wasn't a big deal then, it was just something you had to do.

I do think people are lazy now. English was not my first language and I'm a naturalized citizen. We didn't have the option back then to have documents printed in different language. You learn English and you get over it.

The DMV has allowed translators to help people with the written test for as long as I can remember. I always wondered how much translating was going on as opposed to coaching; as the translators are provided by the applicant, not the DMV.:rolleyes: Don't pass the smell test for me.

sreiter
05-24-2012, 2:38 PM

Just took mine a month ago. Just from time spent on the 2A forum I passed w/ 100%

dantodd
05-24-2012, 4:21 PM

Knowing the posters around here you might not like the answer some would give.

shy 7th
05-24-2012, 4:55 PM

Logic fail.

Helen Keller

Garay002
05-24-2012, 6:25 PM
Haha, funny thread.

IW378
05-24-2012, 7:13 PM
This topic always pisses me off. If you wish to be a part of a culture at least learn how to communicate in that culture.