PDA

View Full Version : scar 17s??

serkerone
05-23-2012, 9:34 AM
looking into purchasing one in the near future, anyone play with one yet?:D

p7m8jg
05-23-2012, 9:35 AM
Only during Left For Dead......works well on cartoon zombies...

EvoXRiley
05-23-2012, 9:37 AM
There is one for sale in FS section, I've shot both the light and heavy cool guns but over Priced in my opinion.

serkerone
05-23-2012, 9:40 AM
any upsides other than being really good looking to it to justify the steep price tag?

sactobill
05-23-2012, 9:41 AM
I have one. Love it! Had a PWS 214 prior and the SCAR , for me, was more accurate. Recoil was very soft. Easy take down for cleaning. Fairly light weight.

I put a scope on I and will take her out again this Sunday. Buy one, you won't regret it.

04slogoat
05-23-2012, 9:44 AM
looking into purchasing one in the near future, anyone play with one yet?:D

Havent shot one yet but when you get yours would you let me shoot it? Ill let you shoot my 16 when I see you at the range. Just shot my 16 last weekend and was awesome!!!!

serkerone
05-23-2012, 9:48 AM
Havent shot one yet but when you get yours would you let me shoot it? Ill let you shoot my 16 when I see you at the range. Just shot my 16 last weekend and was awesome!!!!

done deal! :D

INDABZ
05-23-2012, 9:54 AM
This is the one of lightest 7.62x51 rifles on the market....very accurate.

The only dowside is the cost but compared to a M1A High end models...not totally outta the market.

I need one or two more for my safe....

KillZone45
05-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Make sure you get the PWS extended rail, SCARs sure look ugly w/o them, oh and from what every one says get the Geissele trigger for them. This is what I was going to do if I had bought one instead of my LWRC REPR. I still plan on getting one in the future though, got to love piston guns!

MrPlink
05-23-2012, 2:09 PM
Ive had one for a year and half now. Outstanding rifle. Eats all ammo, even crap steel case, no problems. Given the caliber, very manageable recoil. Capable of sub-moa groups with good ammo and a good shooter. Price of admission is definitely high, but you will get every pennies worth and then some.

Make sure you get the PWS extended rail, SCARs sure look ugly w/o them, oh and from what every one says get the Geissele trigger for them. This is what I was going to do if I had bought one instead of my LWRC REPR. I still plan on getting one in the future though, got to love piston guns!

I think those look goof troop. Clearly not part of the original design of the rifle. In addition, pretty pointless unless you actually need the extra rail estate. Otherwise, why the hell would you pay 3k plus for one of the lightest battle rifles ever just to add more weight to it? Spill over from AR culture I suppose, people just cant want to hang crap off their rifles.

Quiet
05-23-2012, 2:19 PM
I got to play (handle/shoot/carry) with one in AZ.
I want one so bad, it's in the "need" category.
But, I don't want to pay $3000 for a neutered rifle.
So, I will bide my time.
Also, the longer I wait the less expensive magazines become. :p

Capable of sub-moa groups with good ammo and a good shooter.
I've heard this from friend in US SOCOM.
Apparently, the Mk 17 Mod 0 (FN SCAR-H) has similar accuracy capabilities as the Mk 11 Mod 0 (KAC SR-25), but in a lighter & more reliable package.
This pushed the development and adoption of the Mk 20 Mod 0 (FN SCAR-H SSR), which is a "sniper" variant of the SCAR-H that uses a different reciever, match trigger, match barrel, different stock & a few other improvements. It's unknown if FN will release a civilian version of the SCAR-H SSR.

Here's some useless pics of SEALs with SCARs to increase your desire for a SCAR-17S. :p
http://h3.abload.de/img/sealsw5c11.png
http://www.abload.de/img/556047ijuhv.jpg

advan031
05-23-2012, 2:25 PM
I'll pick up my 17s this Friday!!! I can't wait:)

MrPlink
05-23-2012, 2:47 PM
FNH stated they are likely to release a civi version of the mk20, but it will likely be STUPID expensive

MrExel17
05-23-2012, 2:53 PM
Hard to get, and hard to find replacement parts. Everything about the gun is expensive. I still one one though!

MrPlink
05-23-2012, 3:10 PM
What replacement parts are you looking for? Save for barrels and mags, lots of parts out there now

cosmos0665
05-23-2012, 3:12 PM
I have one and it looks nice, different. I agree that it's the lightest 308 compared to others but the recoil is almost the same as an HK91. I also have a DPMS and I think the recoil is more manageable.

I have one. Love it! Had a PWS 214 prior and the SCAR , for me, was more accurate. Recoil was very soft. Easy take down for cleaning. Fairly light weight.

I put a scope on I and will take her out again this Sunday. Buy one, you won't regret it.

KillZone45
05-23-2012, 6:35 PM
I think those look goof troop. Clearly not part of the original design of the rifle. In addition, pretty pointless unless you actually need the extra rail estate. Otherwise, why the hell would you pay 3k plus for one of the lightest battle rifles ever just to add more weight to it? Spill over from AR culture I suppose, people just cant want to hang crap off their rifles.

I just think that the rifle looks weird with all that barrel, its just an opinion.

coryb619
05-23-2012, 7:21 PM
ive shot only 5 rounds out of one, but it was the best 5 rounds ive shot in my life other than a 50bmg hah

Haplo
05-23-2012, 9:27 PM
Cool rifle but I'd rather have an AR10, but seeing how I already do...I'd like to get a scar some day, but I wouldn't want to pay more than 1500 for it.

Extra411
05-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Here's my SCAR:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=151277&stc=1&d=1337832965

This thing can shoot sub moa. Here's a group with cheap Prvi Partizan ammo @100 yards last weekend:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=151279&stc=1&d=1337833112

Here's my friend's group with cheap German surplus ammo @100 yards (That group was really impressive, especially with the surplus ammo, but we did have several other groups that were close to this):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=151280&stc=1&d=1337833125

The SCAR was able to hit the 500 yard hanging steel targets at Angeles range pretty consistently. According to mil estimates the target is ~0.18 meters in size, which means the SCAR needed to shoot sub 1.4-1.5 moa to hit it. It did that fairly easily (with cheap Serbian ammo). The optic is Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x LR/T M2.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=151281&stc=1&d=1337833141

600 yard target at Angeles range.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=151282&stc=1&d=1337833496

The SCAR is light, recoil is relatively low, and the accuracy is pretty damn impressive for a battle rifle. As a whole package this rifle is really tough to beat. $3000 is kind of expansive, but it's certainly not the only rifle in that price range. A M1A with any kind of good chasis (EBR, Troy, etc) would cost north of $2000, most of Larue's .308 are $3k, a LMT MWS costs $2.5k+, LWRC REPR is ~$3k, etc etc.

In regards to the trigger:
In the beginning the trigger was VERY rough. I had a hard time shooting with it. Now that I've shot ~300 rounds the trigger feels a bit smoother (or maybe I've just gotten used to it). It feels like I can pull the trigger part way and consistently stop just before it's about to fire.
IMO it's difficult to justify the cost of a Geissele trigger. I don't feel the trigger is holding back my accuracy (that's a privilege reserved for the operator :p), and $400 is a lot of money for an upgrade that isn't really necessary. The SCAR trigger is also known to be very tough and durable, just what you need in a battle rifle IMO.

As for the rail extension, I agree with MrPlink. Unless you really have a good reason (maybe putting a bipod or something close to the muzzle), why offset one of the advantages of this rifle (weight)? The SCAR is a battle rifle designed to be carried; if you want to go for a heavy, accurate benchshooter/sniper rifle there are certainly better choices out there. But if you want a .308 rifle that you can carry around all day and is pretty accurate, then you can't do much better than the SCAR.