PDA

View Full Version : Are all A2 Flash Hiders pretty much equal

sjwolf
05-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Hey. Would you say all A2 flash hiders are the same? I guess they could be made of different series steel, but generally speaking is the quality/strength from one company just as good as another?

I had a pinned SDI which I'm assuming was 4150 and I may need to replace it with a RRA which is 4140 since it's probably going to be removed to have the barrel reparked. I'd use a BCM A2X also 4150 but it's pinned in a different location

tonelar
05-23-2012, 7:04 AM
I've only cut-up two A2 FHs. They all look the same to me, although Im sure some companies might phosphate or ptfe coat theirs (aesthitics primarily) to better match their bbl finish.

Chaos47
05-23-2012, 9:14 AM
Pretty much. I'd guess they might be like AR lowers and only made at a few companies and then just marketed under many names with possible finish differences

MustangSteveGT
05-23-2012, 9:24 AM
I would trust any of the mainstream venders. When I've needed them I just toss a cheap one into my order from Midway or other venders. I think the DPMS ones are like $5-6.
I think you have to worry about nameless chinese immitation junk that can be found sometimes on eBay or amazon. I remember seeing a picture of one that had an oval hole running through it towards the end, wasnt even round inside and who knows what kind of damage that might have done if it cause an obstruction. I think it threaded onto the barrel too which is scary as well.

FatalKitty
05-23-2012, 9:28 AM
an A2 flash hider is an A2 flash hider. if you're talking about quality of different manufacturers that is different

sjwolf
05-23-2012, 9:34 AM
Talking about the quality of those produced by different manufacturers

How bad is one made from 4140 compared to 4150

I had a pinned SDI which I'm assuming was 4150 and I may need to replace it with a RRA which is 4140 since it's probably going to be removed to have the barrel reparked. I'd use a BCM A2X also 4150 but it's pinned in a different location

FatalKitty
05-23-2012, 9:46 AM
4140 has slightly less carbon in it. so it's not as tough... HOWEVER, the amount is tenths of a percent... if it was a barrel we were talking about, i wouldn't say don't choose 4150 of 4140. However - it's a flash hider, it doesn't hold pressure, load, or anything really.

just go for it :) RRA makes a great product, you can trust them