PDA

View Full Version : MOSSBERG 930 SPX

SIGSHOOTR
05-22-2012, 5:50 PM
Hey guys and gals-- I'm thinking about adding a scatter gun to my inventory. What do you all think about this gun?

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1621-mossberg-930-spx-pistol-grip.aspx

I was in Riflegear the other day and it really felt good in my hands and I love the fiber optic front sight. Ergos are nice except for the tang safety. Not a deal breaker since I will eventually replace the pistol grip stock for a regular rifle stock. I actually like the tang safety better with a rifle stock cuz it'll be easier for ambidextrous manipulation. I plan to keep it as a primary home defense tool. What type of ammo should I keep for HD and what type of ammo do you recommend for practice?

Never really had a shotgun and I am planning to pick up another lower so thought I'd DROS the Mossberg too. Thanks.

NYCShooter
05-22-2012, 6:06 PM
[QUOTE=SIGSHOOTR;8626549]Hey guys and gals-- I'm thinking about adding a scatter gun to my inventory. What do you all think about this gun?

I plan to keep it as a primary home defense tool. What type of ammo should I keep for HD and what type of ammo do you recommend for practice?
/QUOTE]

I'm really an 870 and Benelli M4 guy, but that Mossberg is certainly a well regarded gun. For ammo: 00 or 1B buck for HD (I use LE132 00, LE132 1B, and LE127 LRS -slugs), birdshot for practice.

SIGSHOOTR
05-22-2012, 9:27 PM
[QUOTE=SIGSHOOTR;8626549]Hey guys and gals-- I'm thinking about adding a scatter gun to my inventory. What do you all think about this gun?

I plan to keep it as a primary home defense tool. What type of ammo should I keep for HD and what type of ammo do you recommend for practice?
/QUOTE]

I'm really an 870 and Benelli M4 guy, but that Mossberg is certainly a well regarded gun. For ammo: 00 or 1B buck for HD (I use LE132 00, LE132 1B, and LE127 LRS -slugs), birdshot for practice.

Thanks NYCShooter-- appreciate the info!

sin68
05-22-2012, 11:44 PM
I had one... it cycled about a box of buckshot, then wouldn't cycle anything, I mean ANYTHING. Bird, buck, magnum buck, slugs... nothing. I was especially disappointed because i had just returned a 500 because it came from the factory defective. I bought an 870, and have been happy since.

Not saying you may be lucky and get one that works, but there are many people that have returned them. Look into it, and read as many reviews as you can before making your decision. Besides, a pump action is more ideal for HD, IMO.

gwanghoops
05-23-2012, 2:33 AM
930s are very popular and work fine. I'd prefer the 930 JM Pro 22" or 24" as I don't mind the extra length in a home defense situation -- don't plan on clearing the rooms with it and want the extra capacity.

prc77
05-23-2012, 5:50 AM
take a look at the FN SLP

Bigbuckool
05-23-2012, 7:22 AM
Well in the short amount of time I've had mine it has functioned without a hitch. 100+ rounds of bird, buck and slug and no failures to feed. I'm thinking I got a pretty sweet gun for a very reasonable price.

jkgts1
05-23-2012, 5:10 PM
Ive had my spx for a while. Never had an issue. Shoots everthing I feed it.

Webologist
05-23-2012, 6:19 PM
Ive had my spx for a while. Never had an issue. Shoots everthing I feed it.

DItto. Mine has cycled about 800 rounds so far. I'm very pleased with it.

weber_2
05-23-2012, 6:53 PM
Its nice. But for a first scatter gun I recommend a pump. Every has to have a pump in their collection. Go Mossberg 500 or Remy 870

SIGSHOOTR
05-24-2012, 3:30 PM
Many thanks for the helpful comments guys. Yep, there is something to be said about having that metallic clicking of a round chambering in a pump gun.

hayaku
05-25-2012, 9:30 AM
i'm now at 1000 rounds on my 930 jm pro WITHOUT CLEANING (except for the initial break down clean. haven't cleaned it after the first shot). zero malfunctions so far. for tactical class purposes, this is a pita as i have to setup failures to clear manually. i'm complaining but i'm not lol. only drawback so far to not cleaning the gun is it is filthy... practicing loading drills with my dummy rounds makes my hands looked like i just overhauled the transmission on my car.

as for the tang safety, this is WAY easier to use with a rifle stock for weak side transitions, especially on the move. hand never leaves fire control and you can visually see if it's engaged or not.