PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Upper

calbyker69
05-22-2012, 6:27 PM
I posted this in "Optics" and didn't get a reply so maybe someone here might be able to help me out.
I have a BM XM15 Flattop upper that I wanted to put a scope on. I need to remove the rear sight but it is 1 piece with the top rail. If I remove the rail then there is no way to mount a scope. I emailed BM and they said they have a replacement rail and gave me a part # but it does not show on their website or catalog. Does anyone know of a part or where I can get a part to replace the top rail? Or even a knowledgeable Bushmaster dealer in San Diego?
Thanks.

calbyker69
05-23-2012, 4:27 PM
Hmmm I didn't expect no answer.:surrender:

Don29palms
05-23-2012, 4:42 PM
Pictures of what you're trying to say might help.

calbyker69
05-23-2012, 6:18 PM
Attempting

socalbowhunter
05-23-2012, 6:31 PM
What do you mean the rear sight is 1 piece with the top rail?

socalbowhunter
05-23-2012, 6:37 PM
Is it a carbon 15? I see one on their site that matches yours. You may just have to use higher rings and go ahead and put a scope on. It's a ridiculous set up, but it looks like BM has learned their lesson and only offer 1 like this now it seems.

calbyker69
05-23-2012, 7:01 PM
Yes, its the Carbon 15. I have tried the higher rings with the Nikon P-223 scope and it won't work. The rear sight and rail is 1 piece with the part that has the 2 slots in the picture. BM says they have a part to replace this but they do not respond to my emails regarding how to order it. I figured there must be others that have put a scope on one and had hoped for some insight or at least someone in SD that knows BM's. All Turners could do was scratch their head and shrug.

loosewreck
05-23-2012, 7:05 PM
So is the rail/sight removable or is it part of, or permanently attached to the upper receiver? Can't tell in your pics.

calbyker69
05-23-2012, 7:12 PM
I can remove 1 set screw and then slide the entire piece off the back of the receiver. Then there is just a "smooth" flat top. The piece is from the bottom of the "slots" to the top of the sights/rail.

loosewreck
05-23-2012, 7:30 PM
BM says they have a part to replace this but they do not respond to my emails regarding how to order it.

I can remove 1 set screw and then slide the entire piece off the back of the receiver. Then there is just a "smooth" flat top. The piece is from the bottom of the "slots" to the top of the sights/rail.

Oh, sounds pretty proprietary.

I believe the old timers would fix this by using something called a phone :oji: Sorry I couldn't help making the joke. Seriously though, you might be able to order the part just by calling them during their business hours, some gun companies are still old school.

Arkangel
05-23-2012, 7:38 PM
Have you tried going to a real EBR shop like Parallax Tactical or DAS?

calbyker69
05-23-2012, 7:43 PM
I do appreciate the joke but ideally I would like to deal with a local shop that has some experiance with this. As a last resort I will call them and order the part. As a Biker I have learned that buying parts that are "supposed" to work does not always mean they do.

calbyker69
05-23-2012, 7:45 PM
Arkangel I am not familier with either of those.
Looks like Parallax is close. Thanks I will go bother, er, I mean, talk to them about this.

emy
05-23-2012, 8:04 PM
I have that on one of my pistol it's proprietary and they don't make it anymore . If you want to sell it let me know. This is the pistol
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/183764_187439874628309_100000868943084_415249_6036 261_n.jpg

Arkangel
05-23-2012, 9:17 PM
Arkangel I am not familier with either of those.
Looks like Parallax is close. Thanks I will go bother, er, I mean, talk to them about this.

Word to the wise avoid Parallax on Saturdays and from 1200-1400 (lunch rush) during the week... It gets packed.

Edit: Try to get in touch with Joe, he is very busy ( he's the owner) but I'm sure he can help.

SURVIVOR619
05-23-2012, 9:31 PM
Word to the wise avoid Parallax on Saturdays and from 1200-1400 (lunch rush) during the week... It gets packed.

Edit: Try to get in touch with Joe, he is very busy ( he's the owner) but I'm sure he can help.

This is great advice OP! Joe is a good dood and once he has a chance to speak with you, his attention is yours. He'll help for sure if he can.. Try a weekday and your wait will be less!

If the higher rings don't work and no rail replace options, you may try an offset mount for the scope, however unorthodox that may be... Looks weird and may defeat the purpose you have for your weapon but... If I've helped in any way, cool! Good luck!
http://img.tapatalk.com/62b010c1-b98e-bc3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calbyker69
05-24-2012, 2:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. The original idea was to set it up for the wife to shoot untill she decided on just what she wanted. I put a CMNG .22 conv and was looking for a scope as she likes the long range target plinking. I may end up getting a .22 upper and just buy myself a new gun. I will go by Parallax next week.

calbyker69
06-05-2012, 6:23 PM
Ok, stopped at Parallax today and got what I expected; WOW never seen one like that before!!! LOL
No diss to them. They were very helpful and knowledgable. It just seems that I always buy the odd items. So my choices are buy a new reciever or cut off the rear site. I may just end up doing both.
But I will be doing more business with them.