PDA

View Full Version : What type of slugs for Mossberg 500?

Socalman
05-22-2012, 6:11 PM
I am thinking I would like to have a couple dozen slugs for my Mossberg but wondering what is the best choice for the 500 series? Sabot slugs or rifled? Will use of a rifled slug cause any damage to the barrel?

Hope to hear from those who know.

SoCal Choppas
05-22-2012, 6:19 PM
Sabot slugs are for Rifled bore shotguns, rifled slugs are for smooth bore barrels. Sabots will be a waste of money in standard mossberg barrel, unless you get the rifled barrel.

Here is a link to their barrel selection: http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access

stormvet
05-22-2012, 9:08 PM
Winchester PDX-1, rifled slug and 3 "00" BBs.

MossbergMan
05-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Try variious manufactures. Your gun will show a perference for one load over another.
Standard velocity vs. Tactical loads...try'm both. Just bear in mind that tactical loadings drop like rock after 100 yards. Rifled slugs only in a smooth bore and sabots with rifled chokes or barrel.
I'd recommend a 50 yard zero. With a bead only you will have to match the ammo to the gun if you're not getting POA/POI. If one brand doesn't shoot where you aim, try another brand. And don't pattern/group your slugs off hand, use a rest of some sort to eliminate as much of "you" out of the equation. Don't be surprized if your buckshot and slugs hit in slightly different locations.

MossbergMan
05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Try variious manufactures. Your gun will show a perference for one load over another.
Standard velocity vs. Tactical loads...try'm both. Just bear in mind that tactical loadings drop like rock after 100 yards. Rifled slugs only in a smooth bore and sabots with rifled chokes or barrel.
I'd recommend a 50 yard zero. With a bead only you will have to match the ammo to the gun if you're not getting POA/POI. If one brand doesn't shoot where you aim, try another brand. And don't pattern/group your slugs off hand, use a rest of some sort to eliminate as much of "you" out of the equation. Don't be surprized if your buckshot and slugs hit in slightly different locations.

Travis590A1
05-23-2012, 7:27 PM
Any rifled slug will do fine, sabo slugs are a no go with a smooth barrel. I use winchester 1 oz. Rifled slugs and my mossy is actually very accurate with them. For HD purposes the PDX1 is nice a big slug followed by 3 9mm sized pellets. Its knock down power at its finest. I stick to 00 buck for HD though.

mark olindale
05-23-2012, 9:29 PM
I keep PDX-1s in my mossberg. It all depends on your intended use. Just see what your gun likes best.

sargenv
05-23-2012, 9:46 PM
Personally, something that doesn't shake your fillings loose every time you set off a round.. unless you like that kind of thing..

berettabattler
05-23-2012, 9:47 PM
Federal Hydra-Shok and Federal Low-Recoil 00 buck.

r8dr rider
05-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Try 3" magnum rifled slugs. They are fun to shoot all day long :)

IrishPirate
05-23-2012, 10:28 PM
what are you doing with them? Definitely rifled slugs in a smooth barrel, but if you're thinking HD, the cheap ones work just fine. Any 1oz piece of lead going that fast is going to destroy whomever it hits...

for hunting, get a rifled barrel and get Sabot slugs

mossberg 500's rule, they run with anything...