View Full Version : opinions on this and Ruger AR's in general

05-22-2012, 3:22 PM
Im just curious if anyone has experience with Ruger AR's Im looking at the one shown and Im wondering if these are reliable AR's.

05-22-2012, 5:10 PM
Well, I cannot speak with much experience as regards the Ruger 556 because I just bought mine and have not yet fired it.

The SR556 was my choice. It features a piston operating system as opposed to the standard AR15/M16 DI system. The piston system runs much cleaner but does add some weight to the gun. Lots of info on the web about piston versus DI systems on the AR platform.

Other features for the model in your picture. Troy battlesights (top-of-the-line iron sights) and a quad rail.

Hope this helped. I picked up the "E" version which does not have a quad rail (just the top rail) and no iron sights. I added the iron sights (Troy) as well as an EOTech XPS2-0 RDS and here she is:

Mossy Man
05-22-2012, 6:52 PM
the ruger looks pretty sleek, IMO

but i'm pretty much a ruger fanboy so

05-22-2012, 7:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Im curious to know how well these shoot, And if they have any cons.

05-22-2012, 7:25 PM
Older versions have problems with carrier tilt which starts to chew up the inside of the buffer tube. From what Ive seen its a problem with piston systems. There is a company that makes an anti tilt buffer but imho that, weight and the non standard parts between companies is something to consider. Cheapest way to cure a dirty ar is a bottle of oil in your pistol grip. Google filthy fourteen. It was a bcm di rig that shoot 34,400 rounds with no cleaning just lube...

05-22-2012, 11:20 PM
I would go lwrc or lmt for a piston AR.

05-22-2012, 11:28 PM
that is a nice weapon!

05-23-2012, 12:24 AM
My wife has an SR556. I shoot it a bit. It's a nice gas piston weapon that has a lifetime warranty and top of the line components. Try building one with the same components - I doubt you can even come close to their street price. You can't go wrong with the Ruger name and warranty. If (big if) there's any carrier tilt problems that develop, Ruger will take care of it under warranty. The only drawback with the SR556 IMHO, is it's nose heavy and weighs more than a DI AR. But all piston AR's will weigh more than a DI regardless of make.

05-23-2012, 12:35 AM
ruger has a good reputation for guns that run like clockwork, i bet this is the same!

05-23-2012, 12:36 AM

05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Ruger makes great products at awesome prices. Their stuff works like a champ and though I don't have experience with the SR556 I bet it's great like their other guns. Go for it and give us a range report!

05-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I have had this rifle (with the quad rail and troy folding BUIS) for about a year and a half now and I love it! The rifle's accuracy is probably more accurate than I am. Also, as other people have mentioned, the front end is very heavy compared to a DI AR, however, I have noticed that this helps with the (minimal) muzzle rise and can allow quicker follow up shots. I have also never had any FTF/FTE problems through thousands of rounds. You will not be dissapointed with the quality and reliability of this rifle.

05-24-2012, 9:24 AM
For a 556 caliber rifle,Ruger would be my LAST choice,sorry. I prefer my
SIG 556 or a Colt M4. My SIG is tough/indestructible built with an AK type
full length piston. Although not as accurate as a Colt,it functions with
ANY ammo anytime. Pete