PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep a short barrel around?

kAnJii
05-22-2012, 4:06 PM
Hello all,

As the title said, can I keep a short barrel around? In the safe of course, but was wondering. If I travel outside CA and have the standard 16" barrel attached to my rifle, can I also bring the shorter barrel with it?

djleisure
05-22-2012, 4:20 PM
I'm assuming you mean a short barrel for an AR? If that's they case, then if you do NOT have a registered AR pistol lower it is not recommended that you have a barrel < 16" in your possession. That would be a candidate for constructive possession of an SBR (assuming you have all the parts necessary to build a fully functional upper.)

Merc1138
05-22-2012, 4:33 PM
Uhhh, why would you need to travel outside of CA with a barrel shorter than 16" unless you had a registered SBR?

Go look up NFA and start doing some reading.

ke6guj
05-22-2012, 4:35 PM
Hello all,

As the title said, can I keep a short barrel around? In the safe of course, but was wondering. If I travel outside CA and have the standard 16" barrel attached to my rifle, can I also bring the shorter barrel with it?
what does traveling outside of CA have to do with the fact that you are talking about a federal gun law violation, not just a CA gun law violation.

MrPlink
05-22-2012, 4:36 PM
What Merc said, NFA is FEDERAL law

kAnJii
05-22-2012, 4:55 PM
Thanks for the info.

tacticalcity
05-22-2012, 5:29 PM
Both a Federal Tax Stamp and DOJ approval is required to own an SBR. SBR is not an option for individuals in california unless it is C&R. Cannot legally have the short barrel and your AR rifle in your possession unless you have a properly DROS'd AR pistol lower here in California of it is a violation of Federal law. Since most FFLs won't DROS the AR pistol lower unless it is a complete rifle there are few situations in which you would have just the AR pistol lower and not a complete AR pistol, but it is technically possible. My point being it is not as simple as just running out and buying a $150 AR Pistol lower, since most FFLs won't sell you one all on it's own. They make you buy the entire AR pistol at the same time (unless you bring the upper half in with you and just buy the completed AR pistol lower from them but do the transfer with your provided upper as a completed AR). Easy as astrophysics.

alfred1222
05-22-2012, 5:33 PM
Both a Federal Tax Stamp and DOJ approval is required to own an SBR. SBR is not an option for individuals in california unless it is C&R. Cannot legally have the short barrel and your AR rifle in your possession unless you have a properly DROS'd AR pistol lower here in California of it is a violation of Federal law. Since most FFLs won't DROS the AR pistol lower unless it is a complete rifle there are few situations in which you would have just the AR pistol lower and not a complete AR pistol, but it is technically possible. My point being it is not as simple as just running out and buying a $150 AR Pistol lower, since most FFLs won't sell you one all on it's own. They make you buy the entire AR pistol at the same time (unless you bring the upper half in with you and just buy the completed AR pistol lower from them but do the transfer with your provided upper as a completed AR). Easy as astrophysics.

This