PDA

View Full Version : pistol in a locked container question..school

stitchnicklas
05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
going to work tomorrow in the desert and will be on school grounds,but the school is not yet built.
i keep my g19 in a locked auto safe with a cable lock on it.

remove the pistol for the job or is it legal????

no smarta**'* need reply..

HowardW56
05-22-2012, 12:37 PM
going to work tomorrow in the desert and will be on school grounds,but the school is not yet built.
i keep my g19 in a locked auto safe with a cable lock on it.

remove the pistol for the job or is it legal????

no smarta**'* need reply..

That sounds like a construction site, not a school....

stitchnicklas
05-22-2012, 12:39 PM
That sounds like a construction site, not a school....

named school,and school district property.construction to be completed this year.

Librarian
05-22-2012, 1:22 PM
Law says (1) "School zone" means an area in, or on the grounds of, a
public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten
or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000
feet from the grounds of the public or private school.

I think there's a difference between a building that will, in the future, 'provide instruction', and one that 'provides instruction' but is closed for the evening/weekend/summer break.

I'd say you are on a construction site. Whatever work rules apply are the obvious restriction.

SwPx4
05-22-2012, 1:49 PM
^this.

The fact that the law says "providing" denotes current/present tense of the usage. IMO

taperxz
05-22-2012, 1:53 PM
Law says

I think there's a difference between a building that will, in the future, 'provide instruction', and one that 'provides instruction' but is closed for the evening/weekend/summer break.

I'd say you are on a construction site. Whatever work rules apply are the obvious restriction.

Having worked on MANY schools i can tell you this. Only AUTHORIZED WORKERS are allowed on the premises.;) School kids are not one of them. Read workplace rules prior to but generally locked up is good to go unless posted otherwise.

hoffmang
05-22-2012, 2:20 PM
I don't think you're at a school yet. However, the real gotcha on school grounds is the possession of ammunition - not the firearm - without a carry license. Double check that section of the CA GFSZA and you'll be safer.

-Gene