PDA

View Full Version : PSA Middy lighter profile

ParanoidCivilian
05-22-2012, 9:45 AM
Thinking about getting PSA Mid-Length Hammer Forged upper (lighter profile). I'm not sure what technically makes it a lighter profile compared to the regular hammer forged mid-length upper. Any pros or cons with getting the lighter profile?

MKMS
05-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm actually waiting for mine to come in.(11 days in already):(
From what I found, what makes it lighter is the barrel. There are three types of barrels. Light, standard, and heavy.
Pros: Overall AR will be lighter(if you don't add any extra accessories)
Cons:It heats up faster with long use. Which in turn messes up with accuracy.

Please correct me if what I learned is wrong.

Atekhed
05-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Been looking at this as well. I think the profile is similar to the Colt 6720 but again without physically seeing it thats just a guess.

Unless you are doing a lot of repetitive shooting or mag dumps it shouldnt really be an issue and the weight savings may actually be a boon in say a carbine class especially it one tends to load up their AR with lots of add-ons.

They also have a non "machine-gun" steel version that you can actually order with a BCG of which the base price is $20 cheaper.

Palmetto State Armory
05-22-2012, 12:05 PM
The lighter profile is slightly stepped down after the FSB (which is .750). It isn't nearly as thin as a pencil barrel.

BucDan
05-22-2012, 2:26 PM
So between .625 and .750... a little odd, but I placed an order on the Mid length 16" hammer forged, standard profile during the mother's day weekend free shipping. Now I'm waiting anxiously to get this build going so others can use while I use my sexy KAC upper on 80% milled lower :).

bmoe
05-22-2012, 5:50 PM
Grab one, I love mine. They feel very well balanced.

Dan000
05-22-2012, 6:38 PM
I just ordered one yesterday, can't beat $349 w/ free shipping.

tuna quesadilla
05-23-2012, 12:22 AM
The lighter profile is slightly stepped down after the FSB (which is .750). It isn't nearly as thin as a pencil barrel.

Interesting. What is the difference in weight between the lighter bbl and the standard bbl?

Dan000
05-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Interesting. What is the difference in weight between the lighter bbl and the standard bbl?

it's about 2 oz I believe

16" HF Mid-length regular weight barrel

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll12/rangewarrior123/stbarrel.jpg

16" HF Mid-length lighter weight barrel, notice the step down forward of the FSB

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll12/rangewarrior123/lwbarrel.jpg

I've read other makes with very near the same profile only save 2 oz. A true pencil barrel with the small 6.25 gas block only saves 4 oz. over a standard barrel.

Govt Profile - 1 lbs 11.7 oz
Optimum Profile (PSA lighter) - 1 lbs 10.4 oz
Light weight Profile - 1 lbs 9.3 oz

Static weight saved is a misleading measurement in this application. While the actual static weight saved is small, where the weight is saved is what makes the difference. By having less weight out at the end of the barrel, the handling dynamics of the upper change by a much larger difference than the static number would suggest.

jbush
05-23-2012, 4:21 AM
There use to be a lot of gripes on another forum last year from people who ordered this upper thinging it was a pencil type barrel. Them PSA redid there website they clarified that it is a lighter barrel and the weight is shaved from the FSB forward. Must people I read about who have them seem to like it. My sons are assembling some ARs and that what they are ordering. Shaving the weight forward helps balance the gun.