View Full Version : How does one make bullet cases?

05-08-2007, 1:53 PM
So my friend and I have this idea for making a new Mosin Nagant rifle cartridge. He has most of the brains in this arena, being trained in AutoCad and having access to machinery but I have the bulk of research and all that jazz.

My question is to you, fellow Calguns.net forum members, is how does one go about making bullet cases? I would like to see if it will be worth keeping the x54R bolt face and just making a new load/cartridge.

This is a dream at the moment, so no criticism unless constructive! ALSO, I am well aware of the "historical disfigurement" angle but rest assured, we are using a rifle that has no historical value.

05-08-2007, 2:36 PM
lathe? :confused: :rolleyes:

05-08-2007, 2:52 PM
It depends on how you want to do it. If you want to keep the same case head size but change the body dimensions sometimes it's just a matter of finding a case close to the finished size and running it through a custom sizing die.

Let's say you want to take the original case and make it larger diameter through the shoulder and push the shoulder forward more to increase case capacity. If you have your new barrel with the chamber cut into it, you can expand the neck of the old case up to the next larger diameter and then neck it down where the new shoulder starts to create a false shoulder to headspace on and then fireform it in the new chamber.

Run a Google search on "wildcatting cartridges" and you'll get a lot of information.

05-08-2007, 3:29 PM
lathe? :confused: :rolleyes:

I figured that, but I am talking about the whole artwork of it... like, how to shape them from steel or brass, which steel or brass to use, minimum and maximum measurements, etc... basically, has anyone written a book on this subject?

05-08-2007, 3:36 PM
There seem to be some ok links at the bottom of this wiki

05-08-2007, 3:55 PM
Google "wildcat cartridges" and you'll get results like this:

05-08-2007, 5:56 PM
I would like to see if it will be worth keeping the x54R bolt face and just making a new load/cartridge.

since ur limited to rimmed cases, try the break action crowd for ideas.

first place I would go is C&H tool and dies, Foster/L.E. Wilson and JD Jones.

generally, cartidge case are made from brass slugs swaged in muti-stages and drawn(lengthened) to near final dimension. Then secondary ops such as spinning(cold forming), heat treating(anneal), etc. Try cartridge mfg sites like Norma, Hornady, etc. for more info and ref.

get a copy of "Cartridges of the World (http://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-World-10th-Revised-Expanded/dp/0873496051)" or similar reference material. Even though it might have been done before, there's lots of old dead cartidges that are just ready to be improved upon. Good luck and have fun:)