PDA

View Full Version : what kind of shotgun for End of Days prepper ?

highender
05-22-2012, 1:16 AM
Hello all : first, let me explain myself. I , like many of you, became more conscious of our need to protect ourselves after RodneyKing / South Central LA incident, and then the 9-11 terrorist attacks. ( RIP our fellow Americans who died. ) . Then, more recently, After watching the stock bubble , employment, real estate, and loan bubbles pop, with debt and inflation bubbles coming, I became concerned. In a big way. Then, with chaos in many countries, and several about to be bankrupt, things seem to be going down..to say the least.

SO I am more focused on becoming a prepper....for TEOTWAWKI ( the end of the world as we know it) . End times, survivalist group, doomsday preppers...etc. I am not a nut yet, but just wanting to be more prepared.

OK....so question and big ask for help from you all is :

What kind of shotgun would be best in this situation ?
What kind of shells ? How many ?

any help would be appreciated...... :cool2:

OIF0708
05-22-2012, 1:43 AM
You will get a lot of different answers so I will give you mine. I bought a Maverick 88 made by Mossberg, it had the 28 inch hunting barrel and I bought the 18 inch barrel for home protection. One shotgun with multiple purposes. As far as ammo; bird shot and slug for hunting and low recoil buck shot for home defence. Hope this helps some.

Rockit
05-22-2012, 1:57 AM
Remington 870. Reliable/inexpensive/versatile.

the_t0ny
05-22-2012, 1:57 AM
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Try both and see which one you are more comfortable with.

Birdshot for birds, Slugs for longer distance defense and bigger game hunting, and buckshot for everything else.

And as far as how many, the more the merrier.

Travis590A1
05-22-2012, 2:03 AM
Id go with a mossberg 590a1 all steel and high grade aluminum with no polymer parts except stock anf forearm. They are tanks it would be my first gun to grab if shtf. As far as shells go...where to begin you would literally need as much ammo as possible but it depends on your tactics if your on the move a shotgun would be very heavy and realisticly you would have no more than 100 shells or so. Now in a senario when your staying in your house then the sky is the limit. If you want to be prepared for the end of days your going to need lots and lots id say 10,000+ the reality is your going to run out at some point anyway. There really is no right answer all I can say is your going to need 00 buck for defense, birdshot for small game, slugs for distance shooting and big game. You need all those variations of ammo to have a truly effective shotgun in a shtf senario.

Richard Erichsen
05-22-2012, 7:10 AM
Hello all : first, let me explain myself. I , like many of you, became more conscious of our need to protect ourselves after RodneyKing / South Central LA incident, and then the 9-11 terrorist attacks. ( RIP our fellow Americans who died. ) . Then, more recently, After watching the stock bubble , employment, real estate, and loan bubbles pop, with debt and inflation bubbles coming, I became concerned. In a big way. Then, with chaos in many countries, and several about to be bankrupt, things seem to be going down..to say the least.

SO I am more focused on becoming a prepper....for TEOTWAWKI ( the end of the world as we know it) . End times, survivalist group, doomsday preppers...etc. I am not a nut yet, but just wanting to be more prepared.

Hard to respond to some of your rationale, so I'll defer to someone else to talk you down.

Any shotgun will do. 12 gauge is the most common, 20 gauge is lighter and easier to handle. A simple pump with 6 in the tube, no frills and plenty of shells to get acquainted.

R

ConcernedCitizen
05-22-2012, 8:26 AM
Hard to respond to some of your rationale, so I'll defer to someone else to talk you down.

Any shotgun will do. 12 gauge is the most common, 20 gauge is lighter and easier to handle. A simple pump with 6 in the tube, no frills and plenty of shells to get acquainted.

R

Nice. Why must you make it seem like the OP is poised, irrationally, on a ledge?

I have been watching videos of riots in Chicago and Oakland and at first glance it looks like a 3rd-world country. But no! This is happening right here at home. The OP wants to prepare himself. You ridicule his rationale and then provide your input anyway! Why are you here? Need to ratchet up that all-important post count?

MossbergMan
05-22-2012, 9:02 AM
Mossberg 500/590A1
Remington 870 tactical
Winchester Defender series
You can go cheaper, but it's only your life (and/or Family) we're talking about protecting.
All the above are more than adequate for a prepper or simple HD. Consider a white light attachment and sidesaddle and a detachable 1, 2 or 3 point sling. I use a simple carry 2 point strap (5 to 6 feet of 1.25 webbing and two double "D" rings and you're set.

WDE91
05-22-2012, 9:04 AM
I like where this is headed...

Winchester 1897 is what REAL preppers use
hold the trigger back and work the slide
Zombies aint got **** on slidefire

CSACANNONEER
05-22-2012, 9:09 AM
I like where this is headed...

Winchester 1897 is what REAL preppers use
hold the trigger back and work the slide
Zombies aint got **** on slidefire

Yep, you can't beat the 115 year old design.

If you want a new shotgun, a plain Jane Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are good choices. Don't overlook the simplicity and reliability of a simple and inexpensive single shot shotgun though.

ElvenSoul
05-22-2012, 9:10 AM
Something with 2 barrels. Pumps break after time and require maintenance.

BigDogatPlay
05-22-2012, 7:35 PM
Something with 2 barrels. Pumps break after time and require maintenance.

^^^^ Borderline shenanigans ^^^^

All guns require maintenance. Some break no matter what. I've never truly broken an 870 and I've fired tens of thousands of rounds spread across a dozen or more examples.

That said while I have an 870 Police to defend my home and family I have a plain jane Mossberg 500 packed and ready to throw in the truck if we have to leave. I like the Mossberg for this because of the aluminum receiver and max load of six shells. A couple of 50 round bandoliers, with 50 00 Buck, 25 rifled slugs and 25 rounds of game load bird shot (for taking game if needed) and I feel like I have enough to get me through for a while, but not so heavy a load that it can't be moved on foot if need be.

The Original Godfather
05-22-2012, 8:12 PM
For end of days, if I could only have one gun, I'd get a rifle in .22lr. Lighter, cheaper, .22lr can be found everywhere, and you can carry literally thousands of rounds in the same space and weight you can a box of 100 12ga shells.

But, since this is the shotgun forum... I'd get a Mossberg 500 or 590 if I had the extra money and get a longer barrel with some chokes in case you want to use it for hunting... In all honesty, even the Maverick and/or Norinco doesn't look bad.

A pump shotgun is a really, really, hard platform to mess up. If I could find one, I'd get a Winchester 1300 Defender, or just any 1300 and cut the barrel down to 18-20".

plumbum
05-22-2012, 8:37 PM
Anything pump-action and chambered in 12 gauge, really can't go wrong with either Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590

The only thing better than one of the previously mentioned shotguns... is two of the previously mentioned shotguns.

Utha Schleigle
05-22-2012, 8:54 PM
belt feed 12gauge

Richard Erichsen
05-22-2012, 8:56 PM
Nice. Why must you make it seem like the OP is poised, irrationally, on a ledge?

I have been watching videos of riots in Chicago and Oakland and at first glance it looks like a 3rd-world country. But no! This is happening right here at home. The OP wants to prepare himself. You ridicule his rationale and then provide your input anyway! Why are you here? Need to ratchet up that all-important post count?

Anything driven by fear means logic has left the building. There is never a good time to panic, including panic-buying because you fear the "big one" is coming. What you see on TV is mostly sensationalized for the benefits of ratings and sponsors. Outside of a narrow ring near the protests you mentioned, nothing terribly interesting or out of the ordinary is going on. Even within the protests, there is more that isn't recorded that is just plain dull. Folks holding up home-made signs, some chanting, a few manage to march around for a few hours hoping for some time in front of the news media.

Don't assume America is about to fall like a house of cards. Everyone who has bet on that has been wrong, repeatedly. Rather than crawling into lead-lined hidey-holes with cans of soup and boxes of bullets, we'd all be a lot better off pooling our intellect into creative solutions, starting at a local level, small things first. This would be far better use of time and talent than the present end-of-times hysteria. The only ones enjoying the current fear-based-buying are vendors, who are apt to find ways of feeding the frenzy. When in doubt, follow the money....

R

Yugo
05-22-2012, 9:05 PM
For end of days, if I could only have one gun, I'd get a rifle in .22lr. Lighter, cheaper, .22lr can be found everywhere, and you can carry literally thousands of rounds in the same space and weight you can a box of 100 12ga shells.

A pump shotgun is a really, really, hard platform to mess up. If I could find one, I'd get a Winchester 1300 Defender, or just any 1300 and cut the barrel down to 18-20".

This is exactly what I was going to type. I have a 1300 defender it is a great SG and my friend has the 870 and I dont like it as much it is heavier steel compared to aluminum.

If you are going to go with a SG buy a few of these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT020-1.html

BretByron
05-22-2012, 9:34 PM
^^^^ Borderline shenanigans ^^^^

All guns require maintenance. Some break no matter what. I've never truly broken an 870 and I've fired tens of thousands of rounds spread across a dozen or more examples.

That said while I have an 870 Police to defend my home and family I have a plain jane Mossberg 500 packed and ready to throw in the truck if we have to leave. I like the Mossberg for this because of the aluminum receiver and max load of six shells. A couple of 50 round bandoliers, with 50 00 Buck, 25 rifled slugs and 25 rounds of game load bird shot (for taking game if needed) and I feel like I have enough to get me through for a while, but not so heavy a load that it can't be moved on foot if need be.

LOL, I swear to god I'll pistol whip the next person that says Shenanigans.:rofl:
MFZG8KQJni8

OP, The 500A was my first purchase and I've never regretted it.

Mossberg 500A Combo + pistol grip and rail(removed) 5+1
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=139715&d=1331770965

HK Chef
05-22-2012, 9:49 PM
Rem. M887 12 gauge can cycle 3.5 in shells. Dura coated. I love mine but I know some people hate them with passion. Never had an issue with it.

HK Chef
05-22-2012, 9:50 PM
Oh tactical on that bad boy

highender
05-23-2012, 12:13 AM

hey Concerned Citizen.... I understand and appreciate your help and views. I see you share my concerns. I am not going all out with a bug out car and buyinig a missile silo to live in yet....but from all that i am reading.... Most people have what is called " normalcy bias" .... meaning that nothiing is going to happen to me..... but I think times may be tough in future... better be prepared than on the wrong end of the firearm. :D

highender
05-23-2012, 12:47 AM
thanks for all the advice.... I bought a Remington 870 , with side shot saddle, and a Surefire light. I agree it is on the heavy side.

OK.... got to get more bird shot, buck and slugs. and the Bandolier.

all your advice were good ...... including Rich's Not panic and keep creative solutions coming....

I had to hire a large guy to patrol my office when the Oakland protesters were rioting last year...... and they came within 80 ft of my office. The security guard was scared. Good thing police diverted them towards /funneled them towards a more rural place. They broke lots of windows and burned some cars.

better prepared than sorry.......but i am the latecomer to this party... You all have been here for a long time... :-)

Shrubmaster
05-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Hit up your local pawn shops, I've found numerous deals on well worn(dare I say barely broken in) 870s in the low 200s.

Make sure to practice! Magpul dvds plus personal defence tv are good starting points.

Richard Erichsen
05-23-2012, 6:46 AM
hey Concerned Citizen.... I understand and appreciate your help and views. I see you share my concerns. I am not going all out with a bug out car and buyinig a missile silo to live in yet....but from all that i am reading.... Most people have what is called " normalcy bias" .... meaning that nothiing is going to happen to me..... but I think times may be tough in future... better be prepared than on the wrong end of the firearm. :D

Some of us have been around long enough to have gone through several of these points in American history in which there was growing consensus it was all circling the drain. Assuming it's all going to be over soon in a violent sh*tstorm is nothing new, nor is reacting to every news event as "proof" that the end is near. It was wrong in the early 80s, still wrong in 2000 and it's just as wrong now, even if it makes for good TV.

The correct reason to buy a shotgun is because you want one. The wrong reason is to assume you'll need it "soon" to protect your stockpile of beeny-weenies from the unwashed horde of liberal protesters. On the plus side, "preppers" are contributing in some small measure to consumer spending, which is some 2/3rds of our economy, so keep it coming. ;)

R

ConcernedCitizen
05-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Some of us have been around long enough to have gone through several of these points in American history in which there was growing consensus it was all circling the drain. Assuming it's all going to be over soon in a violent sh*tstorm is nothing new, nor is reacting to every news event as "proof" that the end is near. It was wrong in the early 80s, still wrong in 2000 and it's just as wrong now, even if it makes for good TV.

The correct reason to buy a shotgun is because you want one. The wrong reason is to assume you'll need it "soon" to protect your stockpile of beeny-weenies from the unwashed horde of liberal protesters. On the plus side, "preppers" are contributing in some small measure to consumer spending, which is some 2/3rds of our economy, so keep it coming. ;)

R

I was almost going to let this slide, since the OP has made his purchase and everything seems resolved. But I have to respectfully comment on some of Richard's writings. I've lived in Simi Valley for 25 years. I lived here when a particular jury verdict was handed in that many in the black community considered unjust. Riots ensued in LA and the word was the CHP had blockaded the freeway into this town and were turning back people who intended mischief. During all those years, I was not concerned about my safety. My neighborhood looks much the same now as it did 25 years ago. But there are things happening now that are new and disturbing. The number of "door-knock burglars" has gone through the roof, so much so that the local PD has made public notices about them. The number of shootings and stabbings in this and other cities has been escalating. Drug use is rampant. It would be foolish to dismiss these events as "been there, done that." Many folks believe the political situation will spawn much new lawlessness, considering that many people who do not love this country are involved.

I find it interesting that in Richard's posts, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground between "hanging loose, chilling out" and "DefCon1." I am concerned about being safe, but I don't stash guns around the house, answer the door with a gun in my hand or stockpile millions of rounds in the garage. However I do have weapons and they are easy to get to in the unfortunate case they are needed. I'm not about to chase someone through the neighborhood, but I will protect myself if they are in my house and intend me harm.

I should also remind you that we live in earthquake country. In 1994, we were <10 miles from the Northridge epicenter. Our services were out briefly, but all was restored in a couple of days. Considering that most folks are 1 day away from needing food or water, how ugly will it get and how quickly will it get ugly should we experience a wider-ranging disaster? I understand probabilities, but the fact is it's possible and only a fool would continue unprepared. I applaud the OP for noticing and taking appropriate steps to prepare himself. I completely understand his rationale and believe it to be rational and justified.

NewGuy1911
05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Richard Erichsen & ConcernedCitizen, thanks for the posts. A number of our group relocated from our childhood areas. Maybe looking for a quieter/less stressful life and cleaner neighborhood. Anyway, trouble can/and does travel. Our neighborhood is now experiencing the "knock and rob" door sells types.

elSquid
05-23-2012, 1:04 PM
My neighborhood looks much the same now as it did 25 years ago. But there are things happening now that are new and disturbing. The number of "door-knock burglars" has gone through the roof, so much so that the local PD has made public notices about them. The number of shootings and stabbings in this and other cities has been escalating. Drug use is rampant. It would be foolish to dismiss these events as "been there, done that." Many folks believe the political situation will spawn much new lawlessness, considering that many people who do not love this country are involved.

OTOH, both violent and property crime has been decreasing for the last 20 or so years. While your specific locale may differ, the countrywide trend is that crime has been going down, down, down...

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/03/9925171-jobless-rate-up-but-crime-down-what-gives?lite

That said, bad things do happen and it's smart to be prepared - to a certain extent. : shrug :

An 870 or 500 with multiple barrels is a good tool to have around. Heck, shotguns are relatively cheap: buy two! ;)

-- Michael

The Original Godfather
05-23-2012, 1:09 PM
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=012C&mid=512907

+

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/738518/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-7-8-oz-rifled-slug-box-of-20?cm_vc=S016255579

Will give you 15-17 slugs in the tube and still do devastating destruction. :D

Richard Erichsen
05-23-2012, 1:12 PM
I was almost going to let this slide, since the OP has made his purchase and everything seems resolved. But I have to respectfully comment on some of Richard's writings. I've lived in Simi Valley for 25 years. I lived here when a particular jury verdict was handed in that many in the black community considered unjust. Riots ensued in LA and the word was the CHP had blockaded the freeway into this town and were turning back people who intended mischief. During all those years, I was not concerned about my safety. My neighborhood looks much the same now as it did 25 years ago. But there are things happening now that are new and disturbing. The number of "door-knock burglars" has gone through the roof, so much so that the local PD has made public notices about them. The number of shootings and stabbings in this and other cities has been escalating. Drug use is rampant. It would be foolish to dismiss these events as "been there, done that." Many folks believe the political situation will spawn much new lawlessness, considering that many people who do not love this country are involved.

Perceptions do not necessarily match up with reported crime rates. Unless we are to assume that this dramatically increased violent criminal activity you're worried about is going completely unreported, the statistics aren't reflecting this. Averages for violent crime across the country continue to fall. You can look up the statistics for specific states or cities and see much this same trend. http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/september/crime_091911/crime_091911

If the FBI isn't sufficient because it includes more "peaceful" locations in the averages, here is something closer to home: http://oag.ca.gov/crime

I find it interesting that in Richard's posts, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground between "hanging loose, chilling out" and "DefCon1." I am concerned about being safe, but I don't stash guns around the house, answer the door with a gun in my hand or stockpile millions of rounds in the garage. However I do have weapons and they are easy to get to in the unfortunate case they are needed. I'm not about to chase someone through the neighborhood, but I will protect myself if they are in my house and intend me harm.

I suggested that panic buying and panic in general is a bad thing. Anything else you perceived is interpretation on your part. Moderation isn't a topic I've touched on and I won't. Let common sense prevail.

The statistical probability of a collapse of our society is neither inevitable nor even particularly likely. Violent crime and property crime, if that's what we're talking about now, is on average in the decline as indicated in the above sources. You always have the right to protect yourself, but keep the relative degree of danger and just how imminent that danger is in perspective. Anyone preying on a sense of insecurity may well be trying to sell you something.

I should also remind you that we live in earthquake country. In 1994, we were <10 miles from the Northridge epicenter. Our services were out briefly, but all was restored in a couple of days. Considering that most folks are 1 day away from needing food or water, how ugly will it get and how quickly will it get ugly should we experience a wider-ranging disaster?

Every disaster is an opportunity to demonstrate the very best and worst people have to offer. Generally speaking, a few days of utilities being out isn't a recipe for house to house firefights. A serious enough quake could raise the stakes if the quake and subsequent aftershocks result in a lack of utilities for weeks or even months. How you react after a major calamity has the potential to profoundly impact how others react as well. Attitude matters, because it is broadcasting even when you aren't saying a word.

I understand probabilities, but the fact is it's possible and only a fool would continue unprepared. I applaud the OP for noticing and taking appropriate steps to prepare himself. I completely understand his rationale and believe it to be rational and justified.

What "prepared" means just needs to be tweaked to better reflect where the risks are greatest, most severe and most likely to occur (a quake is inevitable, a societal collapse within our lifetime is not).

Given that most folks don't have an unlimited budget, what the budget gets spent on is important. Here on a gun board at least, this tends to be on firearms and large quantities of ammunition. Considerably less focus goes to an appropriate amount of water storage for all family members, pets and potentially friends, relatives and neighbors. You can go weeks without food if you really must, but you'll croak in a few days without water, less if you are exerting yourself in the summer heat.

The most important aspect of quake preparedness is a solid plan which by itself costs nothing. Deciding when to stay and when to evacuate is a big part of that and this could change minute to minute or hour to hour. Risk levels after a quake can fluctuate depending on what large aftershocks do to add to the damage. Fire is one of them.

Folks with 50K rounds of ammunition stored up might be inclined to load up the Civic with their favorite rifles and enough ammo to engage in a sustained firefight, leaving behind vital supplies due to weight or space limitations. Water is heavy and is always underestimated. When space is at a premium, water needs to win at the expense of more crates of bullets. You may never have to fire your weapon after a major earthquake, but you are going to need to drink and you are likely to end up with cuts and scratches that will need to be tended to. Prioritize accordingly.

stix213
05-23-2012, 1:15 PM
After watching Out Of The Wild: Alaska Experiment, I have a new respect for a .410 in a survival situation. The breach loading over-under .410/.22lr they had seemed to be a very good choice for wilderness survival, in terms of weight and capability.

Richard Erichsen
05-23-2012, 1:28 PM
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=012C&mid=512907

+

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/738518/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-7-8-oz-rifled-slug-box-of-20?cm_vc=S016255579

Will give you 15-17 slugs in the tube and still do devastating destruction. :D

If you can get them to cycle, even in a pump gun that's a bit iffy. The 2" Ag's worked for me, the 1 3/4" did not. YMMV.

R

The Original Godfather
05-23-2012, 1:30 PM
^ Even in a Winchester 1300?

Difficulty in an 870 or 500/590 yes, but in a 1300? :confused:?

MARLANDO
05-23-2012, 1:37 PM
Eithier one of these will do the job, Moss500 or 870 rem.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/photo-34.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/photo-20.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/photo-33.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/photo-23.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/photo-27.jpg

ICONIC
05-23-2012, 1:46 PM
12 ga. pump. Will pretty much always work. The original Glock.

Richard Erichsen
05-23-2012, 2:05 PM
^ Even in a Winchester 1300?

Difficulty in an 870 or 500/590 yes, but in a 1300? :confused:?

I haven't tried. I have only heard it "should" work in a 1200/1300, but have no personal knowledge to confirm it. I haven't owned a 1300 in many years and it was in 16 gauge, now a "legacy" gauge you hardly see anymore. In my 590, those mini-shells misfed more than they fed. Glad I only bought a small box. I wouldn't trust my life to it. 6-8 shots is plenty, we have no data on one-shot stops for those mini-shells yet to compare with known performers in more typical 2 3/4" lengths.

R

q3131a
05-23-2012, 2:19 PM
Rem 870 or Moss 500 - short bbl and a long bbl (18" + 26/28")

LBDamned
05-23-2012, 2:34 PM
Anything driven by fear means logic has left the building. There is never a good time to panic, including panic-buying because you fear the "big one" is coming. What you see on TV is mostly sensationalized for the benefits of ratings and sponsors. Outside of a narrow ring near the protests you mentioned, nothing terribly interesting or out of the ordinary is going on. Even within the protests, there is more that isn't recorded that is just plain dull. Folks holding up home-made signs, some chanting, a few manage to march around for a few hours hoping for some time in front of the news media.

Don't assume America is about to crumble like a house of cards. Everyone who has bet on that has been wrong, repeatedly. Rather than crawling into lead-lined hidey-holes with cans of soup and boxes of bullets, we'd all be a lot better off pooling our intellect into creative solutions, starting at a local level, small things first. This would be far better use of time and talent than the present end-of-times hysteria. The only ones enjoying the current fear-based-buying are vendors, who are apt to find ways of feeding the frenzy. When in doubt, follow the money....

R

I concur on the basic premise... however, I strongly believe if/when the "big one" (as in earthquake) hits - the level of chaos will make Katrina look like an organized civil society. And for that reason, guns and ammo will be real important (as far as I'm concerned, more important than anything else).

Richard Erichsen
05-23-2012, 6:39 PM
You may need to defend yourself if things get bad enough. This is a gun site after all and I'm all for using whatever it takes to remain intact and breathing. However, while you may not have to fire a weapon because folks in your particular neighborhood are more cooperative than you may have given them credit for, then it's going to be everything else in your disaster kit that will get used more or less in the following order: Water, medical supplies, easily prepared food, clean clothes, cleaning supplies and toiletries, fuel, basic hand tools to secure or repair a structure or get someone out of a collapsed structure.

The better organized you are on your street or neighborhood, the more likely you'll get through the initial event and aftermath, emphasis on aftermath. If you are smart or just very lucky, you won't have to even reveal you even have any firearms. That would be a good thing, considering that in a state of emergency, authorities might be inclined to relieve you of those firearms so you don't hurt yourself. Whether at a roadblock or elsewhere, a firearm isn't likely to be allowed to pass through. Folks driving around in survival battle wagons full of weapons will draw unwanted attention.

We all talk about getting the drop on the bad guys coming to take our stamp collections away, but how complete is your 'non-firearm' disaster kit? Have you taken a good first aid course at the local community college in the last decade? How thoroughly have folks checked the fine print on homeowners insurance policies if you suffer a job loss in addition to the destruction of your home? This won't stop the insurance company from declaring insolvency, but at least you'll have tried to cover yourself from as many angles as possible. There is plenty to "disaster planning" that isn't terribly sexy, won't make any vendors any money and isn't always terribly obvious.

R

tbhracing
05-23-2012, 6:42 PM
Me- Remington 870 Express with extended mag tube. Will do the job in my opinion.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-23-2012, 7:24 PM
thanks for all the advice.... I bought a Remington 870 , with side shot saddle, and a Surefire light. I agree it is on the heavy side.

OK.... got to get more bird shot, buck and slugs. and the Bandolier.

Good choice! Now, go out and shoot it. Get used to operating the slide with authority, used to loading without removing the shotgun from your shoulder, used to switching loads when required. Something very important to do is pattern your shotgun at different ranges; find out the maximum range that 00 buck will stay inside a human silhouette and engrave that number into your memory as it's the range beyond which you'll switch to rifled slugs.

When you've done that, find and take a shotgun course. Once you've done all that, you won't be the one asking questions, you'll be the one answering them!

STUCH77
05-23-2012, 7:55 PM
mossburg 500A tactical 7+1, ak47, ar15 and atleast one .40cal semi gun and one or two 9mm hand guns. and 2,000rds for each cal. also start turning US dollars into OZ's of gold and silver.

http://i49.tinypic.com/wmhu00.jpg

compulsivegunbuyer
05-23-2012, 8:11 PM
The end of days, and you want a 6- 8 shot pump, seriously? If it's the end of days I want a Saiga 12 and a grip of 20 round drums hanging off my belt.

Travis590A1
05-23-2012, 8:55 PM
Realistly your going to need a hell of a lot more than a pump shotgun for the end of days. Id be thinking "what shotgun will last until i find an AR-15 or AKM-47" lol.

BigDogatPlay
05-23-2012, 9:09 PM
LOL, I swear to god I'll pistol whip the next person that says Shenanigans.:rofl:

Board rules, correctly, won't let me say bull:censored:........ :D

bruss01
05-23-2012, 10:05 PM

A proven, reliable pump action design such as the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 and a few CAREFULLY and WISELY chosen accessories and good solid TRAINING will beat the pants off of anything else. No clones, knock-offs or imitations. Name brand carries weight for a reason in this arena.

Avoid the temptation to spend more money on a higher end gun. Avoid the temptation to go all "tacticool". Certainly don't discount anything that brings real merit, but weigh the costs vs benefits carefully. Keep things as simple as function will allow. Invest in proper cleaning supplies & equipment and learn to maintain the gun properly. Treat it well and it will give you a lifetime of service. Above all, get out regularly and use it, until it becomes an unthinking extension of yourself, like riding a bicycle.

For my home defense rig, see this post:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7674130&highlight=shotgun#post7674130

Load up with a couple 250 round cases of military 00 buckshot. Lay in a few cases of regulary Walmart skeet rounds too. Go to the range and practice picking up skeet doubles. After the gun is broken in and you are getting reliable hits, then sign up for an LMS defense combat shotgun class.

http://www.lmsdefense.com/course-details/?id=36&cname=Shotgun+Clinic

That's what I did, it worked, and I'd bet my bottom donut it will work for you too. Don't get sold on some fancy $1000 semi-auto shotgun. Get a good reliable pump, and spend the rest of the money learning how to perform with it RELIABLY.

And since you're asking about a shotgun for "end of days" teotwawki SHTF can I assume you already have a lightweight semi-auto carbine? Shotguns are great for aiming at the bedroom door while you have 911 on the line reporting a suspected break-in. Humping over hill and over dale for weeks on end, looking to find civilization's last stronghold... a shotgun is probably near the bottom of the list of things I would want to have. It's heavy. It's cumbersome compared to lighter, quicker guns. The cyclic rate is low, a disadvantage when engaging multiple adversaries. The weight per shot compared to light rifle or pistol rounds is enormous.

I hope you're not buying in to the myth that you don't have to aim a shotgun, it will just kill everyone in the general direction you're pointing. No. You still have to hit people in a vital area for a stopping shot. You have to aim, therefore you have to practice. A lot. With a weapon that kicks like a mule and carries most of the weight of ammo out toward the end of the barrel.

I hope you're not thinking you have 9 00 pellets per shot, therefore you can take down 9 guys with one shot. Again, not true. One shot per customer... and that' s assuming you hit what you aimed at.

I hope you're not thinking that birdie shot won't penetrate drywall and be a threat to loved ones on the other side of the wall you just shot while aiming (and missing) at a bad guy in your house. If it won't penetrate drywall, it's not a reliable stopper, and if it is a reliable stopper, drywall isn't going to slow it down much. Again, the answer is practice. A lot. With a weapon that kicks like a mule. Not everybody's idea of fun. Of course, you didn't say you were in it for fun...

A shotgun can be a GREAT weapon... under the RIGHT circumstances, and assuming you know what you're doing with one (by this I mean you have significant training and practice). If you don't know what you're doing with it, or in the wrong situation, it's a TERRIBLE weapon choice. I love my Mossberg 590 and have a lot of confidence... but that confidence is the fruit of all the time, training and ammo we have gone through together. Take time and think it through. The shottie might be for you and your situation... but just as easily, it might not.

ThE_LoNgShOt
05-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Remington 870. Reliable/inexpensive/versatile.

^^^^^ this

proraptor
05-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Mossberg 590a1, best pump on the market imo

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r66/proraptor/guns/IMG_0431.jpg

IrishPirate
05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Mossberg 500...end of story

as much 00-buck and slugs as you can carry.

also, a Serbu Super Shorty would be good for quick defense from the zombie hordes and roving bands of theives

stockranger
05-23-2012, 10:50 PM
870 wingmaster 28" with choke tubes. Add a short HD barrel and a slug barrel. Kill anything from quail to grizzly.

CharlesV
05-25-2012, 7:40 AM
I agree with Concerned Citizens post.

One of the reasons that past predictions of collapse didnt work out so well was because the fundamentals of the world economy and social structure remained intact. Previously, we didnt have Greece, the massive unpayable debt, the police state, TSA, armed drones, out of control Federal Reserve, massive lies and deceit among the banksters and White House, the trampling of the Constitution, Patriot Act which didnt sunset as promised, a worthless dollar, threats by Bernanke to collapse the economy if the Fed is audited, Nafta and the mass goods production shift to China, Mexico and India, the loss of rights to speak up and protest, record loss of homes and jobs, endless unpaidfor bailouts, the overthrow of several mid-east governments, riots, massive military conflicts, likelyhood of the collapse of the eurozone, extreme metal prices. ON AND ON.

Dont say everything is peachy and we should all be chillin. Dont even start, please.

If im going to make any sort of mistake im doing it on the side of the OP because its extremely easy to undo later. Just sell off all the prep! So what! Its all like a savings account. But to become prepped in any form at a critical moment is virtually impossible.

That said, i recommend a Rem 870, with tons of ongoing practice. I mean, by learning from the right people, shooting variety of loads, handling, take down, cleaning, understanding the function of parts even if you dont upgrade, safety. Comfort, familiarity and confidence take time to develop in any weapon. Just having a weapon has not yet changed a persons status in being able to use it well.

aippi
05-25-2012, 9:20 AM
A couple guys here have their head in the sand. Can you guess which ones?

Things have changed. We are not individually as strong as we were back then. We are a melting pot of different groups with different values and visions for this country. It will come to head one day. I may be gone but my children and grandchildren are going to have the skills and tools to deal with what ever may come to them. Fail in this and you have failed them. GET YOUR FREAKING HEAD OUT THE SAND.

olhunter
05-25-2012, 11:09 AM

You mean that restaurant you like with all the goofy Sh&# on the wall and the mozzarella sticks?

I call Shenanigans on this. :D

Oh, and get the 870.

L84CABO
05-25-2012, 12:19 PM
We all talk about getting the drop on the bad guys coming to take our stamp collections away, but how complete is your 'non-firearm' disaster kit? Have you taken a good first aid course at the local community college in the last decade? How thoroughly have folks checked the fine print on homeowners insurance policies if you suffer a job loss in addition to the destruction of your home? This won't stop the insurance company from declaring insolvency, but at least you'll have tried to cover yourself from as many angles as possible. There is plenty to "disaster planning" that isn't terribly sexy, won't make any vendors any money and isn't always terribly obvious.

R

Good advice. The mistake I see many making is that they are preparing for the Zombie Horde but not for lower grade scenarios which seem far mor likely to me. Things like a common house fire or something along the lines of Katrina. These are situations that affect a much smaller number of people as opposed to the entire country.

Could you pick up your life and start over in another town if you had to? Do you have your resume, reference letters, professional documents, etc. on a thumb drive and ready to go so you can find a new job in that new town?

Do you have all your financial records, deeds, insurance policies, etc., scanned and on that drive so you can facilitate the claims?

If you had 60 seconds to get out of your house, what are you going to grab and is it all ready to go?

Things like that.

mif_slim
05-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Topper 12g!! /end

Jk. haha...I say the one your best with.