PDA

View Full Version : What is the likelihood of a BB ban to be enacted?

Shanghai guy
05-21-2012, 6:02 PM
High, moderate, low, or non-existent?

Have to ask here since the other threads on this subject aren't useful at all, posters are merely debating who's more/less racist.

Follow-up question: if it is enacted, does that mean a registration window would allow previously banned pieces like Daewoo and Norinco rifles to be permitted?

Thanks in advance for thoughtful replies...

tankerman
05-21-2012, 6:04 PM
This should be moved to Off Topic.

Your's is the least useful thread of the bunch.

alfred1222
05-21-2012, 6:05 PM
Jesus. Go read the official thread and see what Bill and Gene said. That will answer all of your above questions

G60
05-21-2012, 6:06 PM
We do not even know what is in the bill yet.

Shanghai guy
05-21-2012, 6:06 PM

Uh huh.

And the "who is the real racist here" qualities of the other threads are so efficacious.

Shanghai guy
05-21-2012, 6:07 PM

The Senator is a nut, I realize. But I have yet to hear if he has any (substantial) political support.

Does he?

tankerman
05-21-2012, 6:09 PM
Uh huh.

And the "who is the real racist here" qualities of the other threads are so efficacious.

This thread can't get moved to OT fast enough.

wildhawker
05-21-2012, 6:10 PM
Support for *what*?

Literally no one but his staff, and maybe Leg. Counsel, know what - if anything - is planned.

First facts, then analysis. Unless you're running a pool, in which case I want a six-pack on grid B4.

-Brandon

Shanghai guy
05-21-2012, 6:21 PM
This thread can't get moved to OT fast enough.

Sorry, Miss.

Shanghai guy
05-21-2012, 6:23 PM
S...I want a six-pack on grid B4.

-Brandon

I've got you down for grid B4, yes Sir. ;)

NYsteveZ
05-21-2012, 6:49 PM
Uh huh.

:shrug::facepalm:

The real poll should be the length of Mr Yee's employment there. Also...IBTL or move to OT

stix213
05-21-2012, 7:12 PM
We've yet to see the text of the bill, but just having fun with the hypothetical I'd say the risk is fairly low a proposed ban would make it all the way to law and not be thrown out by the courts.

1911su16b870
05-21-2012, 7:24 PM
If they ban Bullet Buttons...then wouldn't that trigger opening another round of AW registrations? Pandoras Box.

Baconator
05-21-2012, 7:33 PM
We've yet to see the text of the bill, but just having fun with the hypothetical I'd say the risk is fairly low a proposed ban would make it all the way to law and not be thrown out by the courts.

I doubt he cares if it will hold up in court,

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tankerman
05-21-2012, 7:36 PM
Sorry, Miss.

Is that meant as an insult?
Please explain.

NYsteveZ
05-21-2012, 7:48 PM
Please explain.

Im not understanding either. He mentioned something about the other threads being racist. I also see "Junior Member", and that throws up flags. For all we know he could be an Anti trolling the CG site.

Steyr_223
05-21-2012, 7:55 PM
Please explain.

Tankerman me may not know your a dude, based on the Pippi avatar..

tankerman
05-21-2012, 7:57 PM
Tankerman me may not know your a dude, based on the Pippi avatar..

I'm a 6'4" 235lb Miss.....Tankerman.

Shanghai guy
05-21-2012, 8:33 PM
Please explain.

Your picture is female.

dantodd
05-21-2012, 8:43 PM
Your picture is female.

Welcome to the Internet.

FullAuto
05-21-2012, 8:47 PM
IBTMOL

Uxi
05-21-2012, 8:55 PM
Unfortunately I fear pretty likely. They'll lose the first case in 2-3 years. Appeal with a stay. Probably upheld by 9th a couple years after that. SCOTUS another year after that.

Fjold
05-21-2012, 9:03 PM
I'm a 6'4" 235lb Miss.....Tankerman.

You shouldn't have had that gender reassignment surgery. 6'3" and 235 Lbs is to big for a ginger female with pigtails.

DVSmith
05-21-2012, 9:06 PM
The intent of fixed magazines was to make them a part of the firearm. The bullet button was a regulatory anomaly. Yee/Leon/??? will knock this one out of the park because the pro firearms politicians can't defend the loophole.

IPSICK
05-21-2012, 9:17 PM
The intent of fixed magazines was to make them a part of the firearm. The bullet button was a regulatory anomaly. Yee/Leon/??? will knock this one out of the park because the pro firearms politicians can't defend the loophole.

So they want to create a bothersome and dangerous weapon which is more difficult to repair and have malfunctions cleared? Seems "clear to me" with "no room for discussion or argument". :rolleyes:

freonr22
05-21-2012, 9:19 PM

How is following the law a loophole?

05-21-2012, 9:19 PM
Very sadly, I agree that this is a lost issue. While we have not seen the first draft of the bill, you can bet that Yee will do all he can to ban everything he thinks is an assault weapon. My concern is now for the M1-A’s and mini-14's. It would not surprise me if the bill is so broadly written that it bans most if not all semi-automatic firearms. Don't forget, the Brady folks and the VPC will be helping to write the bill. Never underestimate the opposition.

tankerman
05-21-2012, 9:27 PM
Your picture is female.

Sorry but my name isn't Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking (http://farm1.staticflickr.com/5/11228287_455fa5dc66_z.jpg?zz=1), and I don't own a monkey (at least not yet). :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

stix213
05-21-2012, 9:29 PM
I doubt he cares if it will hold up in court,

There is no ban if it is thrown out in court.

repubconserv
05-21-2012, 9:30 PM
How is following the law a loophole?

I agree with this. If I pay all my taxes, is that a loophole that allows me to not owe extra money to IRS?

repubconserv
05-21-2012, 9:32 PM
So if/when the ban takes effect, what will happen to all of us who already own a BB AR15?

Registration, turn in, permanently pin/weld a mag to the lower or what?

One of two things will happen: world wide revolution, or the annihilation of humanity......

Actually no one has any idea what the hell will happen, because there is no bill yet to say what will happen if the law is passed

G60
05-21-2012, 9:45 PM
So if/when the ban takes effect, what will happen to all of us who already own a BB AR15?

Registration, turn in, permanently pin/weld a mag to the lower or what?

Keep calm.

barbasol
05-21-2012, 9:48 PM
Any speculation on home built firearms? Wouldn't matter?

Uxi
05-21-2012, 9:48 PM
I'm guessing they'll go after any "hi cap" with any "feature" as well. Didn't Illinois ban rebuild kits, too?

alfred1222
05-21-2012, 9:51 PM
Sorry, Miss.

The Senator is a nut, I realize. But I have yet to hear if he has any (substantial) political support.

Does he?

Uh huh.

Your picture is female.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt"
Read and understand OP. and dont insult other members. Kes doesnt like that.

Deucer
05-21-2012, 9:53 PM
This thread delivers.

compulsivegunbuyer
05-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Sorry but my name isn't Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking (http://farm1.staticflickr.com/5/11228287_455fa5dc66_z.jpg?zz=1), and I don't own a monkey (at least not yet). :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Your in luck, I have one for sale.

IPSICK
05-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Very sadly, I agree that this is a lost issue. While we have not seen the first draft of the bill, you can bet that Yee will do all he can to ban everything he thinks is an assault weapon. My concern is now for the M1-Aís and mini-14's. It would not surprise me if the bill is so broadly written that it bans most if not all semi-automatic firearms. Don't forget, the Brady folks and the VPC will be helping to write the bill. Never under estimate the opposition.

He will have a very hard time passing that and if he does, it will be much easier to trigger a 2nd Am challenge. IANAL and even I can see that. Wouldn't get past the courts if he tried to be so far reaching. If anything, he'll try to expand bullet buttons and possibly featureless type accessories to the features list.

For those getting excited about registration, don't forget they may even try to institute a special type of registration which might mean we don't get full functionality anyways. For now this is wild speculation.

freonr22
05-21-2012, 11:32 PM
This thread should be deleted

Chontkleer
05-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Is anyone strategizing for real or are we just debating whether to shut up and just watch what happens once we know what the bill will say and what kind of support it will get? That's probably too late in an age when bills are approved and signed while everyone is dozing. Probably prudent to develop contingency plans.

Also, can we find out if Yee has CCW license with FOIA request? Probably a good idea to do a little probing, especially into his relationship with the gambling industry and KPMG.

repubconserv
05-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Is anyone strategizing for real or are we just debating whether to shut up and just watch what happens once we know what the bill will say and what kind of support it will get? That's probably too late in an age when bills are approved and signed while everyone is dozing. Probably prudent to develop contingency plans.

Also, can we find out if Yee has CCW license with FOIA request? Probably a good idea to do a little probing, especially into his relationship with the gambling industry and KPMG.

how can you strategize when you have no idea what is coming? There are probably hundreds of different things Yee could put in to his bill that we could not predict. There is even the slight chance that Yee will see the error of his ways and drop the issue (though this is unlikely)

If you really want to help, here are three good steps
1. Donate to CGF
2. Be a good gun owner (role model). Don't do stupid **** that would cast negative light on the gun community.
3. Take a newb to the range

Until there is a bill though it is kinda pointless (and can be harmful) to "strategize." So just chill out for now. And follow the 3 steps

ClarenceBoddicker
05-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Given a long enough time line any firearm for civilian possession in CA will be banned or made virtually impossible to own. The UK is an excellent example of future CA anti-gun laws

Chontkleer
05-22-2012, 1:19 AM
how can you strategize when you have no idea what is coming? There are probably hundreds of different things Yee could put in to his bill that we could not predict. There is even the slight chance that Yee will see the error of his ways and drop the issue (though this is unlikely)

If you really want to help, here are three good steps
1. Donate to CGF
2. Be a good gun owner (role model). Don't do stupid **** that would cast negative light on the gun community.
3. Take a newb to the range

Until there is a bill though it is kinda pointless (and can be harmful) to "strategize." So just chill out for now. And follow the 3 steps

Oh I think we can figure out a few different versions of the bill and come up with a plan of action for each one. You want to leave it for others to deal with, that's fine. What if our CGF people happen to be on vacation that week? NRA lawyers are at a retreat in St. Barts? This will be coming up over the summer, will it not?

Your three steps are always good things to do.

motorhead
05-22-2012, 1:24 AM
sorry kids, it's law. there's no such thing as INTENT. the only thing that matters is the letter of the law. bb's fully meet the requirement for a fixed mag. it's not a loophole. the idiots that wrote the law weren't smart enough to require the mag to be integral with the reciever. just like they weren't smart enough to list every assault rifle ever made, by name. too bad, so sad! the only thing left for them is butthurt.

sd_shooter
05-22-2012, 6:20 AM

Jesus. Go read the official thread and see what Bill and Gene said. That will answer all of your above questions

This thread should be deleted

Why? Sounds like an innocent question to me and the OP is just trying to test the waters.

I answered "high." As soon as that TV anti-BB episode came out, it was the beginning of the end.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Low. Always possible, but highly unlikely

spareparts
05-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I going post this statement in every bullet button or Leland Yee thread I can for a while. If it gets buried in the posts Iíll do it again and again. I donít care if I get banned for being annoying or violating some kind of rule. Too many of us were content with just sitting back and e-mailing or calling our state reps and we lost UOC. So please contribute to Calguns or another pro-2A organization.

Iím asking everyone who owns a CA legal self loading semi automatic rifle with a bullet button to contribute at least the price of one bullet button, approximately $25. If you can afford it, contribute for each rifle you own that has a bb on it. Even if Lee doesnít get anything through committees and to the floor the money will go to fight other issues that are sure to come up.

Hereís a link to save you some time:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108030