PDA

View Full Version : Can Saigas take an AK mag?

davedog01
05-21-2012, 5:05 PM
Buddy of mine just picked up a Saiga 7.62x 39 and was wondering what it would take to get an AK mag to fit. I'm not real tuned in to these and I thought I'd put it out there and see what's got to be done or what we are doing wrong. Thanks, Davedog01

MrPlink
05-21-2012, 5:08 PM
it will fit, may not feed right though. Look up bullet guides. Depending on what is done be aware of 922r as well.

Milsurps
05-21-2012, 5:20 PM
Buddy of mine just picked up a Saiga 7.62x 39 and was wondering what it would take to get an AK mag to fit. I'm not real tuned in to these and I thought I'd put it out there and see what's got to be done or what we are doing wrong. Thanks, Davedog01

Out of the box, No. Easy fixes. Bullet guide ETC.
Lots of info and parts. carolinashooterssupply.com (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront)
Used them for my Saigas and all was good. :)

Pay attention to 922r, but its pretty easy.
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Saiga's are fun and cool. :D

davedog01
05-21-2012, 6:30 PM
Thanks a lot guys. It's un"converted". That should be kosher for hi-caps correct? I believe it would be featureless. I've been wrong before. Again, I'm not an AK guy, all your help is appreciated.

vintagedude88
05-21-2012, 7:28 PM
All you need is bullet guide kit which is about $20 (includes tools).

No worries about 922r so long as you stick with 10rnd mags.

Quiet
05-21-2012, 8:25 PM
Bullet guide can trigger 922r parts compliance because it gives the rifle the ability to accept a large capacity magazine.

non-"sporting purpose" features that trigger Fed 922r parts compliance when installed onto an imported semi-auto centerfire rifle:

Ability to accept a large capacity magazine
Folding/telescoping stocks
Pistol grips (not to be confused with thumbhole stocks, even Dragunov-style ones)
Ability to accept a bayonet
Flash suppressors / hiders - the "capacity to accept" tends to be invoked here, which is why threaded barrels aren't common to find on imported guns.
Integrated, military-style bipods
Grenade launchers
Night sights

the donald
05-22-2012, 2:21 PM
jesus ****img christ i hate this state. i just got a saiga 308

if i do not modify my gun in any way and buy a mag that is +10rds( i know hi cap laws and will modify it) will this trigger a crime? what if they can squeeze an 11th? will it become an AW?

21SF
05-22-2012, 2:23 PM
You can use any mag you like. 922r isnt triggered until you start changing parts on quite's list.

if it holds 11 rounds yes you will be commiting a crime.

zfields
05-22-2012, 2:27 PM
You can use any mag you like. 922r isnt triggered until you start changing parts on quite's list.

if it holds 11 rounds yes you will be commiting a crime.

its a featureless rifle, 11 round mags are fine.

stix213
05-22-2012, 2:50 PM
You'd need to add a bullet guide, modify the magazine catch, and get your foreign parts count down to 10 for 922r compliance.

stix213
05-22-2012, 2:52 PM
its a featureless rifle, 11 round mags are fine.

Featured vs featureless is only to satisfy the CA state AWB, and has nothing to do with the separate federal 922r that restricts foreign firearms with more than 10 rounds. Have to get your foreign parts count down to 10 or less still or illegal.

the donald
05-22-2012, 2:56 PM
Featured vs featureless is only to satisfy the CA state AWB, and has nothing to do with the separate federal 922r that restricts foreign firearms with more than 10 rounds. Have to get your foreign parts count down to 10 or less still or illegal.

so if i order a 20rd magazine i have to put a stopper in it, it has nothing to do with hi-cap mags.

also it works here i guess. can i add a scope? it is classified as a hunting rifle after all. i have gotten mixed info on this triggering an AW, i have been told it will be considered a feature.

i do not trust my reading comprehension when it comes to a felony.

zfields
05-22-2012, 3:00 PM

happen to have a link to that. Last time I remember a thread regarding it, the vagueness of the law really showed its ugly head.

Dhena81
05-22-2012, 3:02 PM
so if i order a 20rd magazine i have to put a stopper in it, it has nothing to do with hi-cap mags.

also it works here i guess. can i add a scope? it is classified as a hunting rifle after all. i have gotten mixed info on this triggering an AW, i have been told it will be considered a feature.

i do not trust my reading comprehension when it comes to a felony.

:facepalm:

the donald
05-22-2012, 3:46 PM
:facepalm:

i meang rebuild kit. i am not allk there right now. i had a needle put in my spine yesterday.

KOOLKERRY
05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
I never put a bullet guied on my Saiga 762 and it works perfect. I filed back a couple Tapco AK 10 rd mags to fit instead of fileing the catch so I can still use my surefire mags. Total Cost ! 00.00 and no gunsmithing:)

vta
05-23-2012, 2:39 PM
A lot of misinformation here on 922r compliance. The answer is no, you can not add a bullet guide without being 922r compliant. Regardless if you are using 10 round mags or no. It is the "ability to accept" ak mags that requires your saiga to be 922r compliant. Featureless or not. No one I have ever heard of has ever been arrested or cited for 922r violations but that doesn't mean it isn't a federal crime.

SOMIS 13
05-23-2012, 4:53 PM
so hypatheticly speking if a person bought the saiga iz332 which has the AK forend but is a sporting rifle. if they installed a bullet guide, muzzle brake and a tapco gas piston all being american made, the rifle just became illegal and they would have to change out more parts for american made ones?

90runner
05-23-2012, 6:11 PM
i have two different 5.45 tapco magazines that both work on my saiga without a bullet guide.

AlliedArmory
05-23-2012, 7:19 PM
Adding a bullet guide to use AK mags will trigger 922r. Or even just using AK mags will trigger 922r as well.

PEZHEAD265
05-24-2012, 5:26 AM
so hypatheticly speking if a person bought the saiga iz332 which has the AK forend but is a sporting rifle. if they installed a bullet guide, muzzle brake and a tapco gas piston all being american made, the rifle just became illegal and they would have to change out more parts for american made ones?

Just adding a muzzle device you would have to be 922r compliant.I wouldn't use any magazine parts to achieve the parts count because if you use a imported mag by mistake you committed a felony..