PDA

View Full Version : Demented relative has guns they shouldn't have

marklyftogt
05-21-2012, 4:42 PM
What should you do if you find out a relative with dementia has guns that they shouldnt have (no longer legal)?

Someone told me you should contact the sheriff/local PD but I am not sure that is the right first step.

taperxz
05-21-2012, 4:45 PM
If they are in fact AW's they should be turned in via a lawyer.

Any other weapons should be dealt with via, power of attorney if there is one for proper sale of unwanted firearms.

Vacaville
05-21-2012, 4:47 PM
First of all, I'd confirm that they really aren't in legal configurations. Then, unless you want the guy jailed, go to an attorney that knows gun law. Oh, and delete this thread.

Shanghai guy
05-21-2012, 4:49 PM
Can they be moved out of state?

littlejake
05-21-2012, 4:54 PM
What should you do if you find out a relative with dementia has guns that they shouldnt have (no longer legal)?

Someone told me you should contact the sheriff/local PD but I am not sure that is the right first step.

I think the OP may have miss-phrased the question. If the question is: may a relative with dementia may still have guns -- that's a question for medical professionals and then law enforcement.

If the OP means the person has arms that are now banned such an unregistered AW -- that's a totally different question.

alfred1222
05-21-2012, 4:56 PM
I would first determine if the guns a truly illegal, and than go about making them legal. If that means turning in the lower receiver, adding a BB, or just selling the guns, I would do that. If the person has severe dementia, which means that they can no longer care for themselves, than they have no business handling guns. However, please don't deny the elderly of their RKBA just because they are old.

marklyftogt
05-21-2012, 5:17 PM
This is a hypothetical question that came up. I have a friend in health care who is concerned about running into this or what to do with guns in general.

Gray Peterson
05-21-2012, 5:24 PM

You mean they were 5150'd or something similar.

vincewarde
05-21-2012, 5:33 PM
You mean they were 5150'd or something similar.

My question exactly. If this is the case, you may have to contact law enforcement out of concern for public safety - however if you can do so, I believe they can be transferred to an FFL and then disposed of (sale, gifting to someone legal to own firearms, etc). If this is the case you really need a paper trail. The FFL may not be absolutely required - but IMHO it is well worth doing.

Also, make sure any lawyer you consult with knows firearms law. Most do not and may give you very bad advice.

Jeepergeo
05-21-2012, 5:59 PM
Definitely try to handle it in the family. Is there a power of attorney?

Librarian
05-21-2012, 6:04 PM

-------------

This is a hypothetical question that came up. I have a friend in health care who is concerned about running into this or what to do with guns in general.

This appears to be less a 'gun question' than a 'person who should not have guns' question.

A person no longer able to manage his/her own affairs needs a legally established conservator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservator_%28law%29). Frequently this role will fall on a relative, often an adult child.

Lacking a relative, sometimes a court will appoint a conservator.