PDA

View Full Version : HOUND HUNTING CALL RIGHT NOW VOTING AGAIN THIS AFTERNOON WE MIGHT WIN!

stockranger
05-21-2012, 1:56 PM
SB 1221 just came up for a VOTE. It only got 20 votes - not the 21 needed to pass. But it's not over yet - Senator Lieu has more time to work to secure votes right now before it comes back up later today. Senator Tony Strickland (Republican from Santa Barbara) VOTE YES! We need everyone to call his office and express your displeasure at his vote! Ask them to have him VOTE NO! (916) 651-4019

bwiese
05-21-2012, 2:00 PM
This is a time to call and put pressure on!

taperxz
05-21-2012, 2:09 PM
Its over, It passed the senate by 1 friggin vote. On to the assembly.

taperxz
05-21-2012, 2:14 PM
We need get out and let the Assembly know that if this passes, There will be tens of thousands of dogs out there that were used for hunting that the State will be responsible for. These dogs won't end up being pets!!! Many will be put down as their sole purpose was to hunt and not be a house pet.

Good job Humane Society! Maybe you can take in these hounds.

stockranger
05-21-2012, 2:23 PM
Its over, It passed the senate by 1 friggin vote. On to the assembly.

wait are you sure? This was posted by sportsmen alliance on facebook about 20 minutes ago.

taperxz
05-21-2012, 2:27 PM
Yep! Just talked to Senator Noreen Evans office and they said the second vote already came up and the bill passed. My Senator voted NO

wjc
05-21-2012, 2:44 PM
Anybody got a source for the votes?

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov hasn't update the bill's info yet.

stockranger
05-21-2012, 2:49 PM
I hate this state. One of these days I'm moving to NV.

njineermike
05-21-2012, 2:54 PM
But but but the weather here is so great, and I can ski instead.

Just another nail in the coffin. Honestly, I quit giving a damn a while ago. The legislature does not and will not do anything in our favor, and the populace could not care less, and will only react when it's an issue THEY like. Those are just plain facts people. Hunting will be gone in California in the next 10 years through a combination of laws and attrition. That's about the time my son will graduate and I'll be moving someplace else, and anybody that wants the smoldering hulk of what was once freedom this state magnanimously allows the residents to collect the crumbs of can have it.

taperxz
05-21-2012, 3:02 PM
But but but the weather here is so great, and I can ski instead.

Just another nail in the coffin. Honestly, I quit giving a damn a while ago. The legislature does not and will not do anything in our favor, and the populace could not care less, and will only react when it's an issue THEY like. Those are just plain facts people. Hunting will be gone in California in the next 10 years through a combination of laws and attrition. That's about the time my son will graduate and I'll be moving someplace else, and anybody that wants the smoldering hulk of what was once freedom this state magnanimously allows the residents to collect the crumbs of can have it.

You do realize that hound hunting is banned in 2/3's of the country don't you? California has been a safe haven for hound hunters and the last time this went through it didn't make it. Dont just complain about the state, call your assembly persons.

njineermike
05-21-2012, 3:11 PM
You do realize that hound hunting is banned in 2/3's of the country don't you? California has been a safe haven for hound hunters and the last time this went through it didn't make it. Dont just complain about the state, call your assembly persons.

I called AND I wrote. I did the same thing about the Fish and Game board member and the mountain lion witch hunt, along with SEVERAL other issues. Unfortunately, the representatives who agree with my point of view are few and far between. Entire city councils (http://www.mtshastanews.com/news/x898666424/Board-of-Supervisors-opposes-proposed-hound-hunting-ban) are sending letters. Are they listening? No. And they won't. The sheer volume of ridiculous bills being proposed and passed on an almost daily basis are astounding. I mean, RIGHT NOW we have several we're concerned about that were only proposed within the last few weeks! Of the "2/3's" of the states that ban hound hunting, you can rest assured I won't be going there either. Then again, this isn't about the hound hunting. This is about a state that we lost a long time ago, but nobody wants to admit it.

stockranger
05-21-2012, 3:45 PM
I call and write my representatives all the time so that I can complain.

I run a rabbit beagle so this law really pisses me off.

ewarmour
05-21-2012, 4:03 PM
I call and write and this is generally the response:

Blah, blah, blah, gun control, budget, hunting, trapping, spending, etc...
Despite our differences on this issue, I trust that we agree on far more issues than we disagree. I appreciate hearing from my constituents on issues of concern to them.
blah, blah, blah

These brain dead, parasite politicians make me sick.

njineermike
05-21-2012, 4:16 PM
Sent ANOTHER letter to whatever the heck the other legislator is titled:

I'm writing this to voice my opposition so SB1221. On it's surface, it would seem to be a great idea. Ban hound hunting of bears and bobcats. Everybody gets a warm feeling from helping all those poor woodland creatures from those evil dogs. That, however, is only true on the surface. Hound hunting is the only way to "catch and release" these animals. Every other method of take is a kill. Traps to do not distinguish between cubs and adults, and if the practice of hound hunting is banned, that is exactly what the state will be forced to do once the population of predators once kept in check begin to exceed the capability of the environment to support them. As soon as these animals begin taking livestock and family pets as food, the ability to take human children won't be far behind. Track hunting bears and bobcats is nearly impossible, and will result in a seriously depleted harvest. Trapping will become the method of choice. Currently, Washington and Oregon have the same ban in place. The results have been what I described before. They hire trappers (as opposed to having hunters pay to hunt) and the animals are killed indiscriminantly, as opposed to being taken with caution and responsibly.

Don't allow emotional rhetoric sway you to the realities of what this really is: An attempt to implement yet another piece of the plan to stop all hunting in California.

Thank you

I even used the HSUS website to find others nearby and send it them too. :)

taperxz
05-21-2012, 4:25 PM
You don't really send this in do you?

I'm writing this to voice my opposition so SB1221. On it's surface, it would seem to be a great idea. Ban hound hunting of bears and bobcats. Everybody gets a warm feeling from helping all those poor woodland creatures from those evil dogs. That, however, is only true on the surface. Hound hunting is the only way to "catch and release" these animals. Every other method of take is a kill. Traps to do not distinguish between cubs and adults, and if the practice of hound hunting is banned, that is exactly what the state will be forced to do once the population of predators once kept in check begin to exceed the capability of the environment to support them. As soon as these animals begin taking livestock and family pets as food, the ability to take human children won't be far behind. Track hunting bears and bobcats is nearly impossible, and will result in a seriously depleted harvest. Trapping will become the method of choice. Currently, Washington and Oregon have the same ban in place. The results have been what I described before. They hire trappers (as opposed to having hunters pay to hunt) and the animals are killed indiscriminantly, as opposed to being taken with caution and responsibly.

Don't allow emotional rhetoric sway you to the realities of what this really is: An attempt to implement yet another piece of the plan to stop all hunting in California.

Thank you

njineermike
05-21-2012, 4:27 PM
You don't really send this in do you?

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize I needed your opinion or input.

taperxz
05-21-2012, 4:28 PM
Oh, sorry. I didn't realize I needed your opinion or input.

LOL, Okaayyy

njineermike
05-21-2012, 4:32 PM
For your information, I communicate with my whatever-the-hell-his-title-is on quite a regular basis. He and I have had numerous phone calls about 2A issues, tax issues, the general downward spiral of the state and other topics. I feel no need to send him yet another form letter. He and I have discussed this topic using exactly those terms in the past. He believes that hunting is being attacked, just like I do. If you don;t like what I write, you have all the freedom in the world to not read it.

taperxz
05-21-2012, 4:34 PM
For your information, I communicate with my whatever-the-hell-his-title-is on quite a regular basis. He and I have had numerous phone calls about 2A issues, tax issues, the general downward spiral of the state and other topics. I feel no need to send him yet another form letter. He and I have discussed this topic using exactly those terms in the past. He believes that hunting is being attacked, just like I do. If you don;t like what I write, you have all the freedom in the world to not read it.

LOL, Okaaayyy

ewarmour
05-21-2012, 5:21 PM
I go straight to the point:

Dear Senator Anderson,

I oppose SB1221.

Respectfully,
ewarmour

bigboarstopper
05-21-2012, 5:30 PM
I went to sacramento with 600 other houndsman to oppose this bill. I made phone calls to senators every day. I've sent numerous letters.

I've lost all respect and faith in our government over this experience. Overwhelming opposition in person, calls and letters isn't sufficent to make a senator to vote against party lines. The ignorance and assumption by our state senators in their understanding of this bill and probably many others is astounding. I will do my part to fight this bill through the assembly. Hopefully those elected officials will help redeem my respect and faith in what I thought was a free country.

Manolito
05-21-2012, 5:48 PM
From a point of view of one that lives in the woods. Hound hunting of Black Bear keeps the numbers down to some degree. Without allowing hound hunting of bear the population will be moving into neighborhoods and the young will be dying of starvation.

I wrote a letter doesn't appear it did any good.

Bill

Shoot-it
05-21-2012, 5:51 PM
We need get out and let the Assembly know that if this passes, There will be tens of thousands of dogs out there that were used for hunting that the State will be responsible for. These dogs won't end up being pets!!! Many will be put down as their sole purpose was to hunt and not be a house pet.

Good job Humane Society! Maybe you can take in these hounds.
Talked to a friend that runs hounds he say's they will sell them to other states .He said they did this in the 60's and the bear population exploded so they brought it back 90percent of the bears are harvested with dogs.

JSolie
05-22-2012, 2:10 PM
What would be helpful would be a few talking points for those of us who write or fax...

Cylarz
05-22-2012, 6:16 PM
Can someone explain to me why this bill was voted on a 2nd time in the Senate, after it failed on the first vote? Why do the proponents of this awful legislation get to say, "Oh, it didn't pass? DO OVER!" and vote again? It FAILED. The bill should have died right then and there, not been voted on a 2nd time and now sent to the Assembly.

Anyone want to bet that had it been the one to shorten the 10-day wait (assuming it made it this far), there wouldn't have been a 2nd Senate floor vote?

njineermike
05-22-2012, 7:05 PM
Can someone explain to me why this bill was voted on a 2nd time in the Senate, after it failed on the first vote? Why do the proponents of this awful legislation get to say, "Oh, it didn't pass? DO OVER!" and vote again? It FAILED. The bill should have died right then and there, not been voted on a 2nd time and now sent to the Assembly.

Anyone want to bet that had it been the one to shorten the 10-day wait (assuming it made it this far), there wouldn't have been a 2nd Senate floor vote?

Because we are outnumbered and they run the show.

Meplat
05-22-2012, 7:13 PM
Sent ANOTHER letter to whatever the heck the other legislator is titled:

I even used the HSUS website to find others nearby and send it them too. :)

Thank you

Trapping of bears has been illegal in CA for well over half a century. And for some time now trapping any animal with anything but a live box type trap has been illegal, with the exception of rodent pests like mice and rats. But then the legislators who got that letter were probably not well enough informed for it to make any difference. At least you were trying.

njineermike
05-22-2012, 7:25 PM
Trapping of bears has been illegal in CA for well over half a century. And for some time now trapping any animal with anything but a live box type trap has been illegal, with the exception of rodent pests like mice and rats. But then the legislators who got that letter were probably not well enough informed for it to make any difference. At least you were trying.

Not that hunters would trap, that the state would be paying fish and game officials to trap as a method of population reduction.

Meplat
05-23-2012, 1:15 AM
Not that hunters would trap, that the state would be paying fish and game officials to trap as a method of population reduction.

Acknowledged. And they would be using live traps. And be further depleting CAs already strapped budget.

njineermike
05-23-2012, 8:13 AM
Acknowledged. And they would be using live traps. And be further depleting CAs already strapped budget.

Pretty much the norm. Identify nonexistant problem that appeases special interest donors. Create bad law that costs money to make donors happy. Increase debt due to new laws cost. Scare voters that schools will be closed and state will fly off the face of the planet. Blame financial problem on the "rich". Create "temporary" perpetual tax increase to cover new(est) shortfall. Repeat.

IVC
05-23-2012, 10:21 AM

Wouldn't this be a good PR counter offensive, where a hunting group goes "undercover" and records how trapping works, from the point an animal is trapped to the point it's dispatched? A few posters with these images displayed at a meeting full of antis and the message "here's what you guys are doing" might go a long way. Or is the risk of backfiring too high?

njineermike
05-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Wouldn't this be a good PR counter offensive, where a hunting group goes "undercover" and records how trapping works, from the point an animal is trapped to the point it's dispatched? A few posters with these images displayed at a meeting full of antis and the message "here's what you guys are doing" might go a long way. Or is the risk of backfiring too high?

I personally feel the risk of NOT doing it is to high. It's the same tactic THEY use. They manipulate the emotions of the populace. What works for the goose works for the gander I say.

taperxz
05-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Generally, the federal government does that trapping of nuisance wildlife.

njineermike
05-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Generally, the federal government does that trapping of nuisance wildlife.

Well in that case, we should just ignore all of this, seeing as how the fed manages to always do everything right and never manage to cost us a dime. :rolleyes:

taperxz
05-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Well in that case, we should just ignore all of this, seeing as how the fed manages to always do everything right and never manage to cost us a dime. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with keeping the facts straight. Is there?

njineermike
05-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Nothing wrong with keeping the facts straight. Is there?

So it was the feds that shot the mountain lion in downtown Santa Monica?

taperxz
05-23-2012, 10:59 AM

Not to mention the FACT that these trappers work full time, get paid full time, regardless if they are out needing to trap or not. So at least currently, we are paying no more or less for their services.

HMM do you even know why the feds do this? How its funded?

taperxz
05-23-2012, 10:59 AM
So it was the feds that shot the mountain lion in downtown Santa Monica?

Shooting is not trapping. That is killing a nuisance animal.

njineermike
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Not to mention the FACT that these trappers work full time, get paid full time, regardless if they are out needing to trap or not. So at least currently, we are paying no more or less for their services.

HMM do you even know why the feds do this? How its funded?

So, since they are being paid right now, we ignore all of this, as it's already being paid for......

njineermike
05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Shooting is not trapping. That is killing a nuisance animal.

And what exactly will they be doing with these animals once they overpopulate? Will there be some sort of wildlife cold storage?

taperxz
05-23-2012, 11:10 AM
So, since they are being paid right now, we ignore all of this, as it's already being paid for......

Pretty much because the bill has only passed the senate. Additionally, if dogs are banned, the bear population will increase and then they will be easier to hunt on foot. (not that im for the banning of use of dogs) but thats what will happen.

njineermike
05-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Pretty much because the bill has only passed the senate. Additionally, if dogs are banned, the bear population will increase and then they will be easier to hunt on foot. (not that im for the banning of use of dogs) but thats what will happen.

So since it's only passed the senate, you're willing to ignore anything and let what happens happen because passing a law banning a specific hunting method it will make hunting easier, will stop there, and not go any further, such as banning dogs for bird hunting, seeing as banning dogs for bear didn't seem to be an issue.........

Yeah. You run with that. :rolleyes:

taperxz
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
So since it's only passed the senate, you're willing to ignore anything and let what happens happen because passing a law banning a specific hunting method it will make hunting easier, will stop there, and not go any further, such as banning dogs for bird hunting, seeing as banning dogs for bear didn't seem to be an issue.........

Yeah. You run with that. :rolleyes:

LOL, i'm only talking about the way you write your politicians. Yes! You need to make your voice heard in opposition to the bill!

NO! To writing a heart felt plea, full of factless, baseless BS to a staffer who's job it is to tally ya and na calls from their constituents. (your just wasting more taxpayer money making them do so)

njineermike
05-23-2012, 11:29 AM
LOL, i'm only talking about the way you write your politicians. Yes! You need to make your voice heard in opposition to the bill!

NO! To writing a heart felt plea, full of factless, baseless BS to a staffer who's job it is to tally ya and na calls from their constituents. (your just wasting more taxpayer money making them do so)

Seeing as we agree on this (for once). I will be MORE than willing to contact you so we can coordinate. That was not sarcasm. I despise the anti-hunting activists and the damage they do. I've been to locations where hunting was banned and the deer are dying from malnutrition and disease. There is a large wilderness park in the Indianapolis area where deer are small, deformed, starving, but the anti hunting zealots still protest and prevent even humane culling. It's sickening to watch.

I'm officially burying any hatchet, percieved or intentional, I have with you as of now.

taperxz
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Seeing as we agree on this (for once). I will be MORE than willing to contact you so we can coordinate. That was not sarcasm. I despise the anti-hunting activists and the damage they do. I've been to locations where hunting was banned and the deer are dying from malnutrition and disease. There is a large wilderness park in the Indianapolis area where deer are small, deformed, starving, but the anti hunting zealots still protest and prevent even humane culling. It's sickening to watch.

I'm officially burying any hatchet, percieved or intentional, I have with you as of now.

I never knew there was a some kind of personal disagreement :shrug: If that was the case, well, OK:)

I don't get personal here, i try to keep things straight here in the 2A forum. Even when im wrong which was once, but then i was mistaken:D

njineermike
05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
I never knew there was a some kind of personal disagreement :shrug: If that was the case, well, OK:)

I don't get personal here, i try to keep things straight here in the 2A forum. Even when im wrong which was once, but then i was mistaken:D

Sometimes text does not convey intent. My emotions and perceptions occasionally get the better of me.

taperxz
05-23-2012, 11:39 AM
And what exactly will they be doing with these animals once they overpopulate? Will there be some sort of wildlife cold storage?

Certain animals killed by either trappers or LE are generally given to food banks, fire houses, charities, wildlife charities and orgs. like DU, Mule Deer Foundation, Elk foundation ect. for fundraising dinners and events. Sometimes prisons.

njineermike
05-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Certain animals killed by either trappers or LE are generally given to food banks, fire houses, charities, wildlife charities and orgs. like DU, Mule Deer Foundation, Elk foundation ect. for fundraising dinners and events. Sometimes prisons.

I'm not seeing the same thing happening wioth bobcats and bears myself, The "yuck" factor being the most prominent one, even though black bear that feeds on berries and grubs is tasty.

taperxz
05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm not seeing the same thing happening wioth bobcats and bears myself, The "yuck" factor being the most prominent one, even though black bear that feeds on berries and grubs is tasty.

Like i said, sometimes prisons.

njineermike
05-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Like i said, sometimes prisons.

How bad do you think the complaint would be if they criminal coddlers got wind we were feeding them bear meat?

taperxz
05-23-2012, 11:46 AM
How bad do you think the complaint would be if they criminal coddlers got wind we were feeding them bear meat?

Im sorry i must be missing your point. You think they don't know? The whole animal is probably ground up and put in spaghetti or something.

I don't think they have much say over stuff like that.

taperxz
05-23-2012, 11:48 AM
This is really getting off topic for the discussion at hand also.

Back to the bill headed for the assembly for a vote. Banning of hounds.

njineermike
05-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Write your reps.