PDA

View Full Version : My experience with botach tactical :cuss:

sffred
05-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Hello fellow Calgunners,

May 13th I purchased an American defense scout-x cantilever scope mount thru BotachTactical online. They emailed me on Tuesday saying the item is back ordered and will let me know 24-72 hours when the vendor will restock. They claim their hours of operation is 8am-4pm M-F pst. But I called over 10 times from 3:20pm - 4:00pm pst and still no answer, I started to call from the customer service contact list and still no answer (so I left a message and my number n name) then I called sales, a guy answered and said this is govt sales and said he was gonna transfer me, but he hung up on me (I dunno if this was accidental or not)

Wednesday morning I called @ 8am no answer, I called @ 9am and got an answer! Wow I talked to a lady and she says we distribute many different items and we cannot keep track of items that are out of stock or back ordered. She could not look up how long it would take to restock the item, and that botach will let me know 24-48 hours.

Friday comes along, nothing until I tried to contact them @ 3pm and again no answer (they are apparently super busy or I have no luck contacting them).
Now it's Monday morning and after all that I finally was able to talk to another employee and said there is still no update to my order! So I said I wanted to back out and cancel my order, she asked for my order # and I gave it. Then she says it usually takes 3-4 business days for my money to return to my account but the longest is 10 business days! FML

I was not happy at all for my overall experience with botach!
I love supporting my Cali shops, sog tactical, golden state tactical, etc. I have great experiences with em'

But this is my first time not being happy with a Cali shop
My buddy told me "you should of bought it from brownells, you would have gotten ur mount by now! That's what u get just because it's $10 bucks cheaper it's not worth over 2 weeks of BS!" FML

Sorry my fellow calgunners for venting my problems here,
But I wanted to let u know my experience with botach, and have u gotten problems with them also?

0351USMC
05-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Botach can be hit or miss for some but I have had good luck with them

CJfever
05-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Read and get more mad!
http://botach-tactical.pissedconsumer.com/botach-tactical-review-20080320115976.html

Solidux
05-21-2012, 10:49 AM
botach is a cali shop as far as location only. Mentality wise they serve no one, nor want to serve anyone.

I ordered a buttstock last year and it took a jack ross amount of time for it to arrive.

You'll see that there are usually 1 good review and 9 bad reviews for every 10 on this site

04slogoat
05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
No bueno! Had a bad experience with them ordering an afg2 for my scar. Clearly said that they had it on their website so I ordered and waited for almost a week with no emails or phone calls, called them up and they said that they forgot to update the inventory system and they actually dont have it. Had it cancelled and got my refund right away.

sffred
05-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Here I thought I was the only one

twohi2play
05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
I always check if an item is in stock first before I place an order with them. It might take an extra 24 hours to get a response but it is saves me from the hassle of dealing with all the BS if the item is not in stock.

weber_2
05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
I've read a lot of bad reviews about them. Personally ive never had an issue. A while back I bought a 22 conversion for my AR. It totally sucked butt so I returned it and got a quick refund shipping and all.

InkHammer
05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Botach is really only good for their clearance items. They have some killer deals on a lot of things, but only if you are buying on a whim. That way if they don't actually have it you are not angry, and if they do you are stoked! If you really need/want something , shop elsewhere. I ordered an STR stock and found out it was not in stock, even after calling to confirm they had it, which they assured me they did. Waiting waiting waiting for my shipping confirmation , then called to find out it was backordered, cancelled order and it did indeed take four days to credit my card back...

SVenigma
05-21-2012, 4:07 PM
I ordered an LMT BCG for my AR build from them a month and a half ago. It was backordered with no ETA. Seeing as it was about $40 cheaper than anywhere else I found BCGs, almost all of whom are out of stock too, I decided to just leave it and hope I actually get it. I have not been charged for it yet either.

Siberian23
05-21-2012, 4:36 PM
I have the same experience as the OP. I ordered a Harris Bipod (BRMS) on May 14th and received an email on May 16th saying it was backordered and I would hear from them regarding the back order time frame. I have tried to call multiple times to cancel the order and have never been able to get through to customer service or a sales rep. OP you accomplished more than I have. The best I have been able to do is email saying I want to cancel the order and I have received no contact since then. OP I feel your pain and frustration! If only the low price wasn't so enticing initially.

ZX-10R
05-21-2012, 4:44 PM
You angered and frustrated yourself to save $10? Lesson learned. $10 is not worth a hassle...

far from tactical
05-21-2012, 5:52 PM
I ordered a tlr 1s and A Contoured Remote It was a Package deal. I ordered it on wednesday and right away I got a confermation on my order but didn't get a shiping date so I waited and nothing until today I. Called and asked wheres my order gave them my conformation order and they told me it was in the process of being pulled and to give it another 24 to 48hr to be shipped due to there. Closed on the weekends I was like say what... But I was like fine ok

This was the first time I actually ordered from them and by the way it looks like it may be my last true they do got some what good deals but sometimes that lag in shipping all this just to save around 20 dollars I learned my lesson And reather pay a little more and know I will get it faster then if I ordered it from botach

jpm804
05-21-2012, 5:56 PM
Seems botach tactical is hit or miss...

My experience ordering a scopecoat, small priced item to test out their service.

Got email that said it was out of stock and be back in two weeks. Emailed in two weeks said two more weeks...emailed again said they had them in stock and would be shipping. No email confirmation...emailed again and said oops we made a mistake and two more weeks.

Kinda forgot about the order..then was about to cancel then all of a sudden shipping confirmation out of the blue. Got the item quickly and was as describe since I was skeptical since it was cheaper than anywhere else... Also didn't charge me until it shipped which I think is why I was so patient and also didn't need the item right away..

Will I order again... Maybe since their prices are cheap and free shipping, but I would definitely consider if I need the item now or can I possibly wait for it.

Capybara
05-21-2012, 6:34 PM
I just bought a Magpul sling and sling mount from them from a slickguns.com deal. Great price, prompt delivery, good transaction. Sorry to hear you are not having the same experience.

defcon
05-21-2012, 8:54 PM
yea F that place. ordered monopod and then told me it was on back order and had to wait 3-4 weeks. got my refund which took 3 days to get.

i will not recommend anyone to this place. customer service takes forever. so frustrating

rero360
05-21-2012, 9:13 PM
With the countless of bad reviews and complaints of that place, I am boggled that any sane person would even consider taking the chance to do business with them. Why?

far from tactical
05-21-2012, 9:32 PM
With the countless of bad reviews and complaints of that place, I am boggled that any sane person would even consider taking the chance to do business with them. Why?

I think the reason will be that ..... It's think that its not going to happen to me

far from tactical
05-21-2012, 9:45 PM

Z.1
05-21-2012, 9:52 PM
People are always more apt to vent/complain about a bad experience than a good (or even neutral) one. If everything went as expected, not fantastic, not poorly, there is little incentive to discuss the experience. Clearly, a significant number of people have had problems, but if every customer felt that way, they wouldn't still be in business.

For the sake of balancing it out, I have had nothing but smooth sailing when dealing with botach. Used them a few times for a sling, backpack, etc. and I'll continue to do so.

wsc
05-23-2012, 12:55 AM
You get what you pay for - they are generally cheaper than other shops but their inventory management is non-existent and customer service isn't much better.

I've only had to cancel an order from them once after some parts were backordered and they took a while to follow up with an ETA (which was "unknown ETA"). But to their credit they were very quick to cancel the order after I requested they do so. Otherwise I've ordered a lot of stuff from them without issue.

If anybody from Botach reads this, please invest in a better e-commerce platform and inventory management. That will prevent many customer service problems from ever coming up.

JUm3
05-23-2012, 2:01 AM
they' also seem to be a recurring supplier of firearm related parts on amazon.. I see their name alot but I never buy unless it has prime. Just somethign to look out for if youre concerned.

billt
05-23-2012, 6:14 AM
A couple of years back they had an "F" rating with the BBB. They cleaned up their act a bit and it went to a "B". Now it appears yet again they've fallen off the service wagon. I agree with the poster who said 1 good review for every 10 bad. I wouldn't chance the aggravation by purchasing anything from them. There are simply too many better places to deal with. Recently I've been giving a lot of business to this place.

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/

Their service and pricing is stellar and they have a lot of tactical shooting gear always in stock.

LBDamned
05-23-2012, 9:43 AM
these are the two most poignant post in the thread.

Botach is really only good for their clearance items. They have some killer deals on a lot of things, but only if you are buying on a whim. That way if they don't actually have it you are not angry, and if they do you are stoked! If you really need/want something , shop elsewhere. I ordered an STR stock and found out it was not in stock, even after calling to confirm they had it, which they assured me they did. Waiting waiting waiting for my shipping confirmation , then called to find out it was backordered, cancelled order and it did indeed take four days to credit my card back...

People are always more apt to vent/complain about a bad experience than a good (or even neutral) one. If everything went as expected, not fantastic, not poorly, there is little incentive to discuss the experience. Clearly, a significant number of people have had problems, but if every customer felt that way, they wouldn't still be in business.

For the sake of balancing it out, I have had nothing but smooth sailing when dealing with botach. Used them a few times for a sling, backpack, etc. and I'll continue to do so.

I've bought a ton of stuff from Botach and all (but 1) have been shipped and received within days... granted, most have been items they advertized as "clearance" or "on sale" - but they were things I could use and the prices were unbeatable... only once did I order and not receive (recent Insight Flashlight at killer price), but I got an email right away notifying that it was first come first serve (as stated on email and website) and they sold out. Card was not charged.

As for the more bad than good reviews... Z.1 hit the nail on the head - with anything, people are more likely to complain than praise... after-all, we expect it to be right so why go out of the way to mention it when it is... most of the positive posts are to let people know the other side.

This is not to say that some (very few) vendors/retailers don't deserve praise - but that is when they are extraordinary... I wouldn't call Botach extraordinary - but they do offer extremely good prices and super fast shipping on items they advertise on sale.

ChrisZ
05-23-2012, 9:50 AM
It looks like the take-away message is not to order anything you want right away from them.

I always wonders how their services are.

tonyxcom
05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I have ordered over a dozen times from Botach. I have also had stuff go on back order. My cards were never charged though and they always sent me an email letting me know when something wasn't in stock and gave me the option to keep it on back order or to cancel it.

That has always been reasonable to me. But given the stories I have read about, I tend not to order something I need/want right away.

My favorite places to order..
www.PrimaryArms.com and www.JoeBobOutfitters.com
Both are site sponsors and both are OUTSTANINDING to deal with and if you chose ANY form of USPS shipping it gets to CA in 2 days.

chad68
05-23-2012, 10:46 AM
I have and will always hate mail ordering anything for any reason, gun related or not.

With that said, for basic gun related stuff I usually only deal with Midway, Brownells and Cabelas or in person and that's about it. The only other thing I do once in a blue moon if none of them have what I want is buy from ebay with a seller who has 99.5% or higher feedback rating and who has sold thousands of items.

If I can't get what I want through those methods, I don't buy it or I go with my second choice.

Yemff
05-23-2012, 11:43 AM
ok, some things you need to understand, and this goes for every industry. When something is back ordered from the vendor, half the time they won't even know when they will get the product in stock, because the factory/distributor is usually back ordered and can't give an ETA. So the vendor may give you some time span but its probably bs, because the factory probably told them they will get it when they get it. Also its not Botachs policy/fault that money transfers take time, 4-10 days for a credit back to your cc just how it is, if you don't like that take it up with your cc company.

LBDamned
05-23-2012, 11:53 AM
ok, some things you need to understand, and this goes for every industry. When something is back ordered from the vendor, half the time they won't even know when they will get the product in stock, because the factory/distributor is usually back ordered and can't give an ETA. So the vendor may give you some time span but its probably bs, because the factory probably told them they will get it when they get it. Also its not Botachs policy/fault that money transfers take time, 4-10 days for a credit back to your cc just how it is, if you don't like that take it up with your cc company.

it's been my experience (and the experience of several that have posted) that Botach does not charge until the product ships... They do however, initiate the charge, but it falls off within 3 days... it's never fully processed, it stays pending until the 3 days, then disappears - you are right, that isnt a Botach thing, that's how it is with any and every merchant that processes a card...

from what I recall, most complaints are regarding long delays and lack of inventory (and from my experience, nothing is worse than Optics Plant in this regard)... but I dont think there are complaints about being charged when items are not in stock.

-------------------------------------
As stated previously - if you buy their advertised sale items or clearance items, they are almost always in stock... in fact I just ordered TruSpec 24/7 tactical shirts that they have on sale - I have no concerns about receiving them and will almost certainly have them by end of week (it's always been that way before).

powaybob
05-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I order a lot of things on the internet and by and large have not had major problems, including with Botach. I do agree about Optics Planes. They seem to catalog every item in the universe but have nothing in stock. That said, I'll go with a vendor on Amazon if I can since they are usually pretty close to lowest price and have excellent customer service.

For really specialty gun related stuff I like Brownells, Wideners, and Midway.

CSI304
05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
I have been buying stuff from Botach, and Optics Planet for years, and I would not recommend them to anyone. Poor service, and they almost always have nothing in stock.

tonyxcom
05-23-2012, 12:39 PM
When you place an order online the merchants have a few options. Most will "Authorize" for the entire amount and then "Capture" the payment when they know they can ship.

They do this for obvious reasons, one of which is the verify the CC number matches your billing address and CVC code (if they request it) and to verify that sufficient funds are available to complete the purchase.

Most credit cards will only allow an "authorize" to remain for a number of days. They need to hold this money so they can complete the transaction when the merchant captures the payment. If the payment isn't captured in that time frame, it will fall off and the amount becomes part of your balance again. Most merchants still have your credit card number on file though so when the item does finally ship, they can re-authorize and then capture payment.

Some merchants will only "authorize" a $1.00 charge on your card to verify billing and identity information and will later authorize and capture the balance. The downside to this is that when they later try to authorize say $499 and the card is declined they need to call you.

By authorizing the full amount up front they save themselves that trouble.

MikeR
05-23-2012, 12:42 PM
All my orders through botach have been smooth. The key is to pay with paypal, they will ship what is in stock and cancel backprdered stuff. If im willing to wait ill just reorder with a CC.

highcenter
05-23-2012, 2:16 PM
Given all the terrible reviews, I was more than leery when considering my first order with them earlier this year. Saving a few bucks here and there is the only way I can afford my expensive hobby, so lowered my expectations (they're clearly not Amazon Prime) and took the risk. I'm happy to say that over several orders, the product, delivery, and pricing have all been great. All of my orders have been for clearance items and I have never been unlucky enough to get back ordered or deal with customer service. The last time I picked an item that was back ordered it showed as such in my cart before I finished checking out. At that point I removed that item, finished checkout with the in stock items, and put the back ordered item in a new cart to review next time I had $ to order. To my surprise, a couple weeks later when I was ready to order again the previous back ordered item showed as in stock and all items arrived as expected.

Given my experiences, I will continue to order and cross my fingers (for myself & fellow CalGunners).

Good luck!

Maybe they should hire one of us to revamp their inventory control and ecommerce systems. I'm available ;)

solanoshooter
05-23-2012, 3:08 PM
I buy from Botach all the time. Conservatively 15 - 20 times a year, for both personal orders and agency purchases. 95% of the time I have my order in a couple days.

That other 5%, I agree that their customer service via phone is horrible. I have never been able to get someone on the phone for a personal order. For an agency order, if I leave a message I usually get a call back in a couple hours and questions get answered and problems get fixed.

However, I have had great success resolving issues via live chat. I'd recommend trying that first before trying to get someone on the phone. I've had the live chat operator give me a direct line to call and someone picked up right away.

As far as backordered items go, they have never been able to give me an accurate delivery date. Now if I get an email saying that an item is backordered, I immediately reply and ask them to cancel. They always confirm cancelation within a day.

obscura101
05-23-2012, 3:11 PM
It took them 5 months to deliver my ACOG. I completely forgot I placed the order when I received it. It was still cheaper than everywhere else.

tpc13
05-23-2012, 3:17 PM
I totally agree they suck, some crazy lady tried to bill me twice for shipping and it was her fault. She kept calling and mailing letters for over a year. I finially called and the owner took care of it

Mac7504
05-23-2012, 3:17 PM
All my orders through botach have been smooth. The key is to pay with paypal, they will ship what is in stock and cancel backprdered stuff. If im willing to wait ill just reorder with a CC.

This^^^ The only issue I've had with them is when I ordered ranger plates recently (backordered), I just didn't like that I had to call to see what the deal was.

I kept the order open and got them a month later, totally forgot I ordered them...lol Like a few others.

chad68
05-23-2012, 3:29 PM
I totally agree they suck, some crazy lady tried to bill me twice for shipping and it was her fault. She kept calling and mailing letters for over a year. I finially called and the owner took care of it

Ha. That reminds me of the first cell phone I had in the late 90's. When I signed up they said after one year they would lift the roaming restriction.

After 2 years of paying my bill faithfully, they never lifted the roaming restriction and I stopped paying and switched carriers. 12 years later they still send me letters 2-4 times a year trying to collect 25 bucks. They have probabally wasted 5 times that much in trying to collect it.

GM4spd
05-24-2012, 4:02 AM
I ordered from them ONE time---------------:mad:

NHP1127
05-24-2012, 3:51 PM
I was glad to see this thread so I could comment. Their CS is non-existant. I have tried them twice and both transactions were big fails! No one answers their phones and it seems when an item is on back order they don't bother to inform you. What a joke company.

mindwreck
05-24-2012, 6:59 PM
bought at least 10 orders from them.ranging from 10 bucks to 400 bucks. all went perfectly fine. all arrive between 2-3 days and very well packaged

only issue ever was some batteries were backordered after i submitted a order.they emailed me about it and i responded about switching them to another brand. they said it was okay and shipped those instead.

far from tactical
05-24-2012, 11:01 PM
bought at least 10 orders from them.ranging from 10 bucks to 400 bucks. all went perfectly fine. all arrive between 2-3 days and very well packaged

only issue ever was some batteries were backordered after i submitted a order.they emailed me about it and i responded about switching them to another brand. they said it was okay and shipped those instead.

wow what a lucky guy i placed an order for my tlr 1s on the 16th and i just got it today (24th)

res2580
05-25-2012, 5:49 AM
I ordered from them 3 times a while back and don't remember having any issues with them. I'm pretty neutral with botach but I'm not sure now.