PDA

View Full Version : Advise /input on opening a gun store in Monterey county

cmmgar15
05-21-2012, 10:17 AM
I am looking for a little advise/input on what it is going to take to open a gun store in Monterey county. The store would most likely be in salinas or Prunedale as I live in salinas.

*Now I know it's not easy to get a home FFL in Monterey county but if I have a small store front I've heard it's a little easier. I know I need a business license,FFL,run the fictitious business name in the local paper,resale license,insurance (I heard 1 million dollar policy),gun safe and alarm system.*

Now what else am I going to need?

My plan is to be kind of a niche shop with the ability to order whatever anyone wants. I would like to specialize in AK,AR,FAL,single shot exemptions ,AK/AR pistols,off roster handguns and so on. Pretty much newer firearms and as everyone on here says taciticool *firearms. All the hard to find in CA firearms.Also sell all the other stuff like rebuild kits and anything else people THINK is illegal in the state but is actually not.

I know this will not be easy or cheap and I will have to jump through a lot of hoops but I want this to happen not only for me but for Monterey county. There is a lot of other gun shops in CA that deal in this niche but none in Monterey county or relatively close to Monterey county. I know the home FFL could be an option but I want to get the word out about all the OTHER firearms and a store front would help that along nicely.*

*Last question....what would be an average start up cost for something like this?*

I still have a lot of my own homework to do on this project. I just wanted to kinda throw the idea out there and see what happens. So let's put our heads together and come up with some great ideas. Thank you very much in advance.

TheExpertish
05-22-2012, 9:23 AM
There's a great FAQ in this section. First step is to call the cities you are considering and talk to someone in planning and see what they require. Start-up costs vary, but to make a brick-and-mortar shop worth your while the more funds you can work with the better.