PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot 6.8 spc?

hollowpoint
05-21-2012, 9:46 AM
I'm looking for something new. I still love the AR platform and I have been researching 6.8 spc. I was looking for feedback from Calgunners with experience in AR's built for 6.8. Are you happy with 6.8 in an AR platform? Happy with the 6.8 round performance?

I was debating between 300 AAC & 6.8 spc but I'm sold on 6.8, I do realize 300 AAC would be cheaper to build in an AR platform but money is not an issue.

Primarily this build will be a range toy, mid distance shooting 100 to 300 yards and hopefully will take a spot in the rotation of my pig/deer hunting rifles.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

JoeGSX
05-21-2012, 11:20 AM
I love mine. Barrel and bolt fRom ar15performance. Built was as easy as any other at build. Some use regular at mags I spent the money and got PRI. Haven't had any problems and performance is sub moa easy.

drs2714
05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I love mine alot!
On my 2nd one too.
1st was a STAG 7
2nd is a franken-monster;
Wilson Combat 16" with a LMT enhanced BCG the list goes on.
I Run PRI's,ASC's,DH,C-prod and Barrett's too.
They all work in mine.
Silver State has 6.8 for every ocassion.
90gr TNT's are the most accurate.
Things to watch out for:
Spec 2 chamber is a must.
Grooves and twist. 4groove and 1x11 is a good staring point.

duggan
05-21-2012, 12:48 PM
I have the Stag 7H upper, it's accurate and have had no hiccups to date. I use the SSA lead free for coyote hunting and the Hornady for range fun. I also reload so that takes away some of the pain to my wallet.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-21-2012, 2:24 PM
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/gun_toting_monkeyboy/IMG_1639.jpg

6.8 SPC versus a charging 200 pound boar last month. It went 5 yards. And yes, it actually did charge.

I have typically used lighter full-powered cartridges for hunting. 6.5x55, .300 Savage, .257 Roberts, etc... I did the reserch, and the 6.8 is more or less ballistically identical to .257 Roberts. I tried it out, and found that the recoil was mild, and the accuracy with hand loads was outstaning. And in the AR platform, you end up with a light enough gun that literally anybody can use it.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/gun_toting_monkeyboy/Jessietarget031112.jpg

This was my then 9 year old daughter voicing her displeasure at my placing the target at 50 yards. She thought it was too close, so she shot a frowny face on it. The proceeded to plink the center of the pizza, the shoulder patch, the buttons, and anything else that struck her fancy. If you are looking for a decent hunting cartridge that is capable of taking pigs, deer and other medium game, and is capable of good accuracy, the 6.8 SPC is really, really hard to beat in the AR platform. The .300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel are both great cartridges as well. But they both have narrower niches that they fill. The 6.8 is more of a general purpose AR round than either.

-Mb

Drivedabizness
05-21-2012, 2:37 PM
Anyone tried the upper from SOTA Arms?

sprig
05-21-2012, 2:46 PM
LWRC M6A3 love it. Its my all around do everything gun..rabbits to piggys.

Nathan Krynn
05-21-2012, 2:47 PM
I have 2 that the barrels are from Bison Armory and I only use his barrels for builds around here.

For a range toy I would say no it is not good. Too expensive ammo but you said money is not an issue.

For hunting then heck yes.

My 300 Blk out is a SBR and fires suppressed, it makes me smile. While others around here (and in this shop) have used the 300 blk out for hunting with the super sonics I frankly think the 6.8 beats it out in ballistics. However many old timers will tell you a smaller faster bullet doesn't beat a larger slower bullet for "stopping power" no matter what the foot pounds say.

Many people here and other forums have heard me say a gazillion times I stopped using my sweet old Betsey model 94 for a 6.8 spc. I load my own with 95gr TTSX in SSA brass and #41 primers using 10x powder. Nothing has stood after getting hit if I do my part, and I can do my part ten times before reloading.

alfred1222
05-21-2012, 2:52 PM
I have one on the way, custom built noveske in 6.8, pics when it comes!!!

gun toting monkeyboy
05-21-2012, 2:59 PM
I have one built around a Bison Armory barrel, and one (the one in the picture) built around an AR15 Performance barrel and bolt. I like them both, but the AR15P one is handier. It has the 16 inch barrel instead of the heavier 18 inch one. In terms of accuracy, they each have their perferred loads, but they are both shooting 1-1.5 MOA on a good day. I will probably be rebuilding the 18" one of these days, as there are more goodies available for the mid-length gas system now than there were when I built it. Once it goes on a diet, it may make as handy of a weapon as the other one. Until then...

-Mb

hollowpoint
05-21-2012, 4:59 PM
Truly appreciate the great responses by all. Really excited about this build.

kblack583
05-21-2012, 5:03 PM
Ive got an ARP upper with a 16" barrel. Wouldnt change it for the world.