PDA

View Full Version : What is it with my luck with optics?

GettoPhilosopher
05-21-2012, 8:19 AM
EDIT: Update! Got it back. Looks great. We'll see when I take it out again.

"PST 4-16 FFP Mrad: (reticle debris/PA issue) Cleaned reticle, reset parallax at 100 yards. Checked tested and purged scope. PA issue was due to mount ring over tightening. Recommended tension is 12-15 inch lbs. Over tightening will cause scope malfunction and or failure"

The interesting one is they're saying my PARALLAX issue had to do with the mount being overtightened (the knob was kinda funky, was hard to twist one way and easy the other. I mentioned it as almost an afterthought). As for the crap in the reticle, all they're saying is that they cleaned it out.

All in all, I'm happy. Their turnaround time was great. I'm trying to see....I shipped 5/21 USPS Priority and they sent it back 5/24. That makes it what, 1-2 days to fix and ship back out? Amazing. We'll see if the scope stays reliable now (per their recommendations I started another thread to see if anyone has a torque wrench they could let me use xP).

About my only "meh" moment is shipping FedEx Ground. I get cutting cost, and I freely admit that I'm not in manufacturing/shipping so maybe I'm just missing something, but USPS Priority Mail prices are rather danged competitive, and THEY'LL DELIVER CROSS COUNTRY IN A DAY OR TWO. You'd think it'd be worth the extra $5 or whatever to them. 2 days to repair, 7 days to return. Admittedly though, it's a rather minor annoyance. ;)

================================================== ==

You guys may remember my thread last year on Eotech....I had a 517 and magnifier, and the entire internal assembly of the magnifier came loose and cracked itself on the housing while shooting underpowered Wolf .223 out of an AR. Here's a combat-tested, solid as a rock optic that literally craps itself my first time shooting it, with underpowered ammo at that.

Eotech took care of me great, but even they literally told me "We have never heard of or seen anything like this happening before".

Now, fast forward a year. I take my AR308 out for the 3rd time for CAPRC's marksmanship clinic. She wears a Vortex PST 4-16 FFP MIL in a Bobro optic mount. About 30 rounds into the clinic, what look like water droplets inside the scope on the reticle/first focal plane begin to appear, with what looks like black oil suspended inside them. The more I shoot, the more appear.

Again, Vortex is taking care of me (gotta love their warranty), and again, they're telling me they've never seen or heard of anything like this happening before.

....what is it with my luck with optics? I don't run-and-gun, I don't throw my equipment around, I'm not harsh and don't shoot 1,000rds/month or anything, yet somehow quality optics just break at the sight of me. xP

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 8:23 AM
Its cause you aint using them enough lol. Use it or lose it.

GettoPhilosopher
05-21-2012, 9:01 AM
Its cause you aint using them enough lol. Use it or lose it.

:pinch:

Really? I shoot about once a month, ~200rds. Not as much as I should, but I'm not a "once every 8 months" safe queen either.

And how would subjecting an optic to increased recoil, abuse, and shock make it LESS likely to break?

loosewreck
05-21-2012, 9:18 AM
When you can, tell us more about you're warranty experience in the optics section, like how long it took, did they pay for shipping, etc.

GettoPhilosopher
05-21-2012, 9:21 AM
When you can, tell us more about you're warranty experience in the optics section, like how long it took, did they pay for shipping, etc.

I'll do a full writeup once I get it back, but so far....

*Easy. You don't need an RMA, you don't have to get it approved, you literally fill in the form off their website, print it, and ship the scope to them. http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/repair_form.pdf

*They do not pay for shipping.

*She said the riflescope guys currently have a 5 day turnaround time from receipt of the scope to shipping it back out repaired.

loosewreck
05-21-2012, 9:25 AM
I'll do a full writeup once I get it back, but so far....

*Easy. You don't need an RMA, you don't have to get it approved, you literally fill in the form off their website, print it, and ship the scope to them. http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/repair_form.pdf

*They do not pay for shipping.

*She said the riflescope guys currently have a 5 day turnaround time from receipt of the scope to shipping it back out repaired.

I look forward to reading it, thanks for the other info too.

SuperSet
05-21-2012, 9:26 AM
I don't think you're alone as overseas QC hasn't been the best IME. Over this past year... I broke my Lucid 2-5x magnifier is in a class, broke my Swarovski Z6i when it fell off a table, and had reticle drift on my Trijicon TR24G. The only optics that I never had issues with were my AimPoints and EOTechs.

DirtRacer151
05-21-2012, 10:06 AM
You think you're luck is bad???

To date I've killed-
2 Schmidt & Benders
A Premier 5-25
A Millett TRS
And a Falcon 5-25 as well as a 4-14.

Scopes that have held up fine for me-
Nightforce - my #1 optic now due to reliability
Votex Razor
And a 6-24 PST.
I have 2 Bushnell HDMRs that the verdict is still out on..

osis32
05-21-2012, 10:10 AM
That sucks. Only had a 511 die on me :/

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
@op.
It was a joke.
Guess people are not use to jokes around here.

GettoPhilosopher
05-24-2012, 1:57 PM
Vortex shipped it back to me today. Update next Thursday when FedEx delivers it. (wish they'd shipped USPS priority so I'd have it this weekend instead of next Thursday, but oh well).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Solidsnake87
05-24-2012, 8:09 PM
Sounds to me that you used the goods as intended ;) You'll never know whats wrong with your gear till you use it a lot. lol.

I've always gone with the "buy once, buy nice" philosophy. That way at least I'm covered with a good warranty if things go south. You've had some bad luck, but stick to quality like you have been.

PS, try a Nightforce. They may not have all the bells and whistles but they are clear and simply work no matter what. ;)

GettoPhilosopher
05-31-2012, 5:25 PM
Bump for resolution!