PDA

View Full Version : 30.06 target shooting

jamesweed
05-21-2012, 8:08 AM
I have a U.S Springfield Model 1903 Mark 1 it was made in 1919 and has made it through both world wars and maby more, i got to take it out target shooting for the first time after owning it for some time now :43: - i only put 28 rounds through it using no scope and from 50 yard back on an 8 inch target... here is a pic of the target let me know what you all think.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb86/saturnracer/0520121446a.jpg

Banana_hands
05-21-2012, 8:18 AM
Not to be a **** but WWI ended in 1918 before your gun was made. But nice shooting anyway. Any pics of the rifle.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
05-21-2012, 8:19 AM
I think that rifle would have put down 25 bad guys (and probably has done that or more in that rifles past). Nice shooting.

jamesweed
05-21-2012, 8:40 AM
Not to be a **** but WWI ended in 1918 before your gun was made. But nice shooting anyway. Any pics of the rifle.

No biggie on being a **** its all good, i missed typed on the year it was made in 1918 but it might not have been through ww1 but for sure was through ww2 and here are a couple pics of it...
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb86/saturnracer/0517121041.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb86/saturnracer/0517121042.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb86/saturnracer/0517121042a.jpg
Wish it was still all original but had been sporterized :(

CSACANNONEER
05-21-2012, 8:48 AM
At 50 yards with decent ammo and either irons or half azz decent optics, the gun should be capable of maintaining 3" groups at the most. That would be about 6moa. In reality, it should be able to do a lot better than that but, I'm giving you an easy goal to shoot for. Now, it's your job to figure out where the weak link(s) is/are. My guess is you can greatly improve your shooting techniques, use high quality ammo and keep using your irons until you are more comfortable with them.

AragornElessar86
05-21-2012, 8:51 AM
I gotta agree with CSC. Come out to an Appleseed event and we'll teach you to put all your rounds through a two-inch hole at that distance. Www.appleseedinfo.org

ironpete
05-21-2012, 8:57 AM
At 50 yards with decent ammo and either irons or half azz decent optics, the gun should be capable of maintaining 3" groups at the most. That would be about 6moa. In reality, it should be able to do a lot better than that but, I'm giving you an easy goal to shoot for. Now, it's your job to figure out where the weak link(s) is/are. My guess is you can greatly improve your shooting techniques, use high quality ammo and keep using your irons until you are more comfortable with them.

+1 ^^^^

At 400 yards I've seen a lot better groups (4 MOA) out of an '03A3 with surplus ammo. That would equate to a 2 inch group at 50 yards...without the scope!

Most of those old rifles can really shoot!

-Pete

jamesweed
05-21-2012, 9:02 AM

Keep in mind that i have NEVER fired this gun befor and was my first time taking it out target shooting to see how it would do, grouping will get better for sure as i get the feel for the gun and get to take it out more... and once i can get the scope zeroed the grouping will also be better for sure.

ironpete
05-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I wasn't trying to put you on the defensive...

Just saying that your rifle is probably suprisingly accurate.

I've seen many surplus rifles surprise the shooter. Yesterday I had a young lady pick up an M1 carbine and hit 4 out of 5 on a 8" steel gong (50 yards) from standing never having touched one before. Heck, it surprised me also!

-Pete

jamesweed
05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I wasn't trying to put you on the defensive...

Just saying that your rifle is probably suprisingly accurate.

I've seen many surplus rifles surprise the shooter. Yesterday I had a young lady pick up an M1 carbine and hit 4 out of 5 on a 8" steel gong (50 yards) from standing never having touched one before. Heck, it surprised me also!

-Pete
No trying to be defensive but just wanted people to know i have never shot it befor, and yes to add all the shots were from free standing and nothing to steady me :-)... thanks for the compliment ironpete!

AragornElessar86
05-21-2012, 11:16 PM
No trying to be defensive but just wanted people to know i have never shot it befor, and yes to add all the shots were from free standing and nothing to steady me :-)... thanks for the compliment ironpete!

Not to beat a dead horse, but I especially recommend Appleseed for new shooters. The whole point of the program is to teach fundamentals to brand new shooters. My last shoot we had a 15 year old Australian girl who had never seen a firearm before shooting 1.5in groups with bulk ammo at 25 yards after just one day. You will not get better fundamentals training for $70.

CSACANNONEER
05-22-2012, 5:46 AM
Keep in mind that i have NEVER fired this gun befor and was my first time taking it out target shooting to see how it would do, grouping will get better for sure as i get the feel for the gun and get to take it out more... and once i can get the scope zeroed the grouping will also be better for sure.

I sorta figured that. I'm not trying to dis you in any way. I'm just giving you realistic goals that just about any shooter should be able to acheive with a half way decent gun, half way decent ammo and OK shooting techniques. Quality trigger time is the most important thing you can do once you know that your equipment (gun, ammo, etc.) will perform up to your standards. If you look at your target, your "accuracy" is great and that means that you're probably doing a lot right or close to right. Now, you just need to work on your "precision" to tighten up your groups.

Army
05-22-2012, 7:15 AM
Ahhhh, that poor old "C" stock! Find a re-pro stock and hardware, and get that rifle back to what it's supposed to look like!

jamesweed
05-22-2012, 9:40 AM
I sorta figured that. I'm not trying to dis you in any way. I'm just giving you realistic goals that just about any shooter should be able to acheive with a half way decent gun, half way decent ammo and OK shooting techniques. Quality trigger time is the most important thing you can do once you know that your equipment (gun, ammo, etc.) will perform up to your standards. If you look at your target, your "accuracy" is great and that means that you're probably doing a lot right or close to right. Now, you just need to work on your "precision" to tighten up your groups.

Thank you for the info and thanks on the accuracy compliment, as i can get it out more and get a better feel for it i know grouping and precision will get better.. and once i can have a better income i have looked into training courses to help me with better precision but till then im on my own :(

jamesweed
05-22-2012, 9:42 AM
Ahhhh, that poor old "C" stock! Find a re-pro stock and hardware, and get that rifle back to what it's supposed to look like!

I totally agree with you! i wish someone had never decided to sporterize it, they look so much better all original and are worth much more:(

CSACANNONEER
05-22-2012, 8:11 PM
Thank you for the info and thanks on the accuracy compliment, as i can get it out more and get a better feel for it i know grouping and precision will get better.. and once i can have a better income i have looked into training courses to help me with better precision but till then im on my own :(

You don't need to pay for training. Just get in a lot of quality range time. When you do, talk with your fellow shooters, get 10 different opinions on a shooting technique and then form your own.

CSACANNONEER
05-22-2012, 8:11 PM

You don't need to pay for training. Just get in a lot of quality range time. When you do, talk with your fellow shooters, get 10 different opinions on a shooting technique and then form your own. You'll be a great shooter in no time.

jamesweed
05-22-2012, 9:23 PM
You don't need to pay for training. Just get in a lot of quality range time. When you do, talk with your fellow shooters, get 10 different opinions on a shooting technique and then form your own. You'll be a great shooter in no time.

Very positive outlook from another persons perspective is a nice compliment for sure, thank you... will have to take more range trips with it and get some more time in with it and hopefully next target pic will be 100% better thanks again!

Shrubmaster
05-22-2012, 11:33 PM
What kind of scope is that?

Lyman?

jamesweed
05-23-2012, 8:46 AM
What kind of scope is that?

Lyman?

It is an "old school" Weaver Marksman 3x-9x scope... seems to be an ok scope for closer distance but it will eventually be replaced with some thing more modern and for farther distance