PDA

View Full Version : Similar shotguns. Which one?

tastymarinade
05-21-2012, 12:16 AM
A family relative is willing to sell me two shotguns. Although it would be nice to get both my current budget and needs only warrant one. Both are similar model line: winchester 1300. However, they have different designs and specs. From my research, I think these are the information links for each gun. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

Winchester 1300 #1: Winchester Defender (http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=012C&offset=12&mid=512104)
Winchester 1300 #2: Winchester Practical Defender (http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=012C&offset=24&mid=512207)

Jimmy310
05-21-2012, 12:25 AM
If its just for home defense, get the defender. If you want to try your hand at hunting, possibly clay shooting (barrel is still kinda short but ive seen it done), get the practical. My good friends dad has a winchester 1300 and i like it better than my rem 870 (finish is very nice).

MossbergMan
05-21-2012, 7:46 AM
Prices being the same for either gun...
For all an around SG, my vote would be for the Practical Defender. Screw in chokes and the open rifle sights offer alot of flexibility. Those features along with having an 8 round magazine....what's not to like? Although a 22" barrel is a little long for strictly HD it's not unmanageable with training.

DavidR310
05-21-2012, 5:40 PM
...my current budget and needs only warrant one.

What are your needs? Home Defense, hunting, skeet?...

tastymarinade
05-21-2012, 7:26 PM
What are your needs? Home Defense, hunting, skeet?...

I'm just looking to get a general purpose shotgun. In other words, whichever will be the most flexible for different situations would be preferable.

bjl333
05-22-2012, 7:27 AM
Prices being the same for either gun...
For all an around SG, my vote would be for the Practical Defender. Screw in chokes and the open rifle sights offer alot of flexibility. Those features along with having an 8 round magazine....what's not to like? Although a 22" barrel is a little long for strictly HD it's not unmanageable with training.

^This^

WDE91
05-22-2012, 8:48 AM
ya for a general purpose the practical
though it will kinda be a jack of all trades and a master of none

but it will still be a great gun

O ya we DEMAND pictures of whatever you do choose to go with