PDA

View Full Version : Review Lanber 2087, 12 gauge, 28" Barrel, 3" Chamber

Mana4real
05-20-2012, 8:43 PM
Ok, so there isn't much information out there about the Lanber shotguns. I'm not much of a writer, I've always had problems writing in circles, so I'll do my best to get the point accross. If anyone has any more questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

I bought the Lanber 2087 Over Under, 12 Gauge, 3" Chamber, 28" Barrel. It's the blemished unit. It comes with 5 chokes; Full, Improved Mod, Mod, Improved Cylinder, and Cylinder. All Chokes are flush, and it comes with the tool and a pouch to hold the tool and the 3 extra chokes. Length of pull is 14.4" and it weights 7 lbs. It has an automatic safety, I hate that, but I'll get back to it later.

So the overall finish of the gun is actually really nice. The wood color is a little bit lighter then I expected, But I don't really mind much because this gun is meant to be shot, not look pretty. The instructions are mostly in spanish, so the important stuff that I wanted to know, like the switch for which barrel fires first, I was a little bit confused. I made a little bit of a fool of myself yesterday when I shot it because first of all, it's extremely tight, so I didn't open it all the way. When that happened it didn't fire and I thought something might have been wrong with the gun (it was all me, I didn't open the gun all the way). So I put the switch on what I thought was the lower barrel and stuck one round in there pulled the trigger and click. Opened the gun again, changed the chamber the bullet was in and fired the gun. Now I know which one is shooting first. My mis-understanding of how it's labeled made me think something was wrong since the switch it Labeled with one dot or two. The manual says the bottom barrel is 1 and the top is 2. So me not thinking it through, I thought that whatever number you can see, that is what barrel is shooting first, apparently I was wrong. If the switch it to that side, that means that barrel shoots first. Because the dots are covered when the switch is moved over it. I thought that whatever was showing is the one shooting first since on my Model 101 when you move the switch, you see a U or an O and that's the barrel that shoots first. Now that I know what is what, I understand. If the switch is to the right (covering 1 dot), the (U)nder shoots first, if it's to the left (covering the 2 dots) the O(over) shoots first. Same as the 101. I hope that all made sence about the barrel selector.

I mentioned that the gun is tight. It is very tight. It loosened up a tiny bit with 277 rounds through it this weekend. The recoil pad is a little bit cheap and the fitment isn't 100% correct, but it doesn't hang on my clothes like my limb saver does. I noticed that the gun is a little bit barrel heavy, but not much and it's not that big of a deal to me anyways. The gun has the spring loaded ejectors, but I reload and save my shells in my pouch, so it's no big deal to me. Even if I wasn't reloading, I would grab my shells. I didn't have any issues with the chokes coming loose. Not sure if that's common, but I've heard it mentioned a couple of times and seen guys with loose chokes at the range. Everyone that looked at the gun and shouldered it really liked it. A few guys at the club even said that they might be picking one up. It's pretty damn good quality for the price. I was even impressed when I got it. But I shot 277 bullets through that thing this weekend (Ten rounds of skeet, one of trap, and two extra's to figure out the barrels switch). My shoulder is about as sore as me shooting 75-100 rounds through my 101 before I put the limb saver on it. The Lanber is actually heavier then my 101. Now I understand why I was getting beat up so bad LOL.

I'm really not sure what other information I can give you guys. It shoots straight feels great. My only complaint is that damn Auto Safety. I really want to disable it. Eventually, I will. I'm just not used to a gun with an auto safety. So that extra step is just something that I have to remember for now. Which I only really forgot it after I had a problem with me not opening it all the way and it didn't fire. Please let me know if there is something that you guys would like to know about. It's not a Browning or a Winchester, but it sure does it's job like it's supposed to.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=150140&d=1337143117
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=150141&d=1337143152
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=150142&d=1337143191

BigfootHunter
05-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Good write-up, I've heard very good things about these in the past. Where did you get it, CDNN?

Also, might want to change "bullets" to "shells"/"rounds" instead.

mikey357
05-21-2012, 1:50 AM
Thats a nice looking shotgun, I have heard most cannot see the blemish on the blem models from cdnn. Heavier is better, it will dampen recoil. Since you said the recoil pad is not that good, a limbsaver or kick ez would help a lot.

Mana4real
05-21-2012, 7:37 AM
I did get it from CDNN. Got it for $550 since it was the blem unit and $23 to ship. Overall, I'm really happy with it. I still need to pattern it. I've just been enjoying shooting it that I've put it off. I'm not really worried about the recoil pad so much right now. It'll work for a while. That is the most I've ever shot in one weekend though.

Tallship
05-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Disabling the auto safety is pretty easy. Once you open it up, you'll see a rod that goes from the front of the receiver to the safety. Remove the rod, and Walla; the auto safety is off.

sidious
05-21-2012, 11:09 AM
I did get it from CDNN. Got it for $550 since it was the blem unit and $23 to ship. Overall, I'm really happy with it. I still need to pattern it. I've just been enjoying shooting it that I've put it off. I'm not really worried about the recoil pad so much right now. It'll work for a while. That is the most I've ever shot in one weekend though.

Wow. Excellent deal!

Mana4real
05-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Disabling the auto safety is pretty easy. Once you open it up, you'll see a rod that goes from the front of the receiver to the safety. Remove the rod, and Walla; the auto safety is off.

That's it?!?! Omg!! I'm doing that as soon as I get off work!! Will the safety still function normally? I want to make sure it still works, just don't want the auto feature.

Budd
05-21-2012, 5:42 PM
Any idea where to get the 2067 which is the 20 ga model? CDNN doesn't list it - nor anywhere else I could find.

big al
05-21-2012, 8:22 PM
It's either you replace the L shaped rod with a pin or cut the part that connects it to the mechanism that activates the auto safety. Removing the L shaped rod alone will not just disable the auto safety, but will totally take it out.

Mana4real
05-21-2012, 9:24 PM
I disabled the safety. I took that L shaped rod out, then took a thick paper clip and ran it through the hole and wrapped it around. Now the safety works and auto safety is gone. I didn't think it was something that simple lol. I will be much happier this weekend. One less thing to think about!! I love the gun though guys. Let's hope that it lasts.

bucktooth7
05-22-2012, 5:26 PM
Mana4real, does the paper work that came with the gun mention anything about warranty work or parts availability? perhaps a contact in the US?

Mana4real
05-22-2012, 6:02 PM
There was a pouch attached to the trigger guard talking about a five year warranty. I'll have to look at it more later, I'm out and about.

jingerale
05-23-2012, 1:52 AM
thanks for the review, I've been looking at the Lanber. I actually like the auto safety on an O/U.

Anyway, would you happen to know if the only difference between the 2087 and 2097 is cosmetic? I thought I read somewhere that the difference was better grade wood and looks.

Also, did they offer you the extended choke upgrade and did it come with a carrying case/box?

Thanks

Mana4real
05-23-2012, 8:32 AM
thanks for the review, I've been looking at the Lanber. I actually like the auto safety on an O/U.

Anyway, would you happen to know if the only difference between the 2087 and 2097 is cosmetic? I thought I read somewhere that the difference was better grade wood and looks.

Also, did they offer you the extended choke upgrade and did it come with a carrying case/box?

Thanks

As far as I know, the 2097 has better looking wood/finish, it's a little bit heavier (mine is 7lbs and the 2097 I believe is 7.7lbs), and I THINK it does not have auto safety. Instead of the bird on the side like mine has, it has a few clays there. Extended chokes were offered as an upgrade at cdnn. The gun came in a box, but it's by no means a carrying case, it's a cardboard box. The chokes come in a little carrying case with the tool. Are the extended chokes that way? I don't know because I didn't choose that option.

Mana4real
05-23-2012, 8:34 AM
Mana4real, does the paper work that came with the gun mention anything about warranty work or parts availability? perhaps a contact in the US?

I'm very sorry, I got home really late last night and I'll have to check when I get home tonight on the paperwork.

big al
05-23-2012, 9:11 AM
Bachelder's does the warranty work here in the U.S.

big al
05-23-2012, 9:13 AM
afaik

JeremyS
05-25-2012, 5:18 PM
2097 has a different drop and/or length of pull, and the stock is cut differently (like a prince of wales grip and different wood shape where it meets the receiver). Also heavier.

I have a couple thousand rounds through my 2087 without a single issue. Everybody who has shot it loved it. Back when I got it over a year ago, it was $450 for the version with cosmetic blems. INSANE deal for an extremely nice gun. Non-blem version was $100 more rather than the $50 difference they have now. I did find a very tiny scratch in the bluing on one of the barrels. Hard to see unless you're looking for it.

Shoots softer than any other 12 gauge I have fired. Absolutely cannot explain why at all. 7 lbs is pretty light, the recoil pad is pretty hard... weird. I think it just fits right.

BTW if you remove the metal rod that pushes the safety on when you break the action open and you grind a bit down from the end that fits into the receiver, it stays in place, the safety works, and it disables the auto-on "feature." It actually makes breaking it open just a touch easier since you aren't also clicking the safety.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cP1ApzDJB2g/TqmKxCqecjI/AAAAAAAAAEI/8sKStTzAVaE/s640/IMG_3865.JPG

Mana4real
05-25-2012, 7:23 PM
Length of pull is the same 14.4" on the 2097 vs 2087. The drop is more with the 2087. Not much though. The 2097 weights 7.7 lbs where the 2087 is 7.0 lbs. Loving the gun though. Can't wait to shoot it again tomorrow.