PDA

View Full Version : Vortex VMX3 Magnifier, anybody?

stormvet
05-20-2012, 7:16 PM
Has anyone used this magnifier before. I am considering it. I have both the Strikfire (red dot only) and the SPARC, have been very happy with both. Really liking the swing mount they sell also. So if anyone has used one before let me know if its worth buying.

ch3ck5ix
05-20-2012, 8:10 PM
I have one with an ADM swing mount: optic is very good - very clear and no distortions or imperfections. The eye relief is about 1" to 1-1/2". Overall build seems solid but the rubber covering is thick and may interfere with folding BUIS. I had to shave off a piece of the rubber cover to clear the BUIS.

Metal Magic
05-21-2012, 7:05 AM
Anybody know where these are made?

SuperSet
05-21-2012, 7:08 AM
Like it but a little on the heavy side. Eye relief is doable and I agree about the large rubber covering.
Make sure you can look through one behind StrikeFire/SPARC before buying. Many people have problems seeing a clear red dot under magnification.

loosewreck
05-21-2012, 7:32 AM
Has anyone used this magnifier before. I am considering it. I have both the Strikfire (red dot only) and the SPARC, have been very happy with both. Really liking the swing mount they sell also. So if anyone has used one before let me know if its worth buying.

The eye relief in most of these less expensive magnifiers will only be sufficient if you shoot NTCH, if you don't it may be a big issue.

If I were in your position, the main reason I'd get the VMX3 is for the VIP warrenty (http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty) and to keep it all in the same family, otherwise I'd get the new Long Eye Relief model from PA and a good FTS mount.

Anybody know where these are made?

Honestly, probably the same place all the other inexpensive magnifiers are made, somewhere in China, just under better qc supervision from Vortex. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with this practice, this is just how things are manufactured these days, like your iPad and your Samsung Galaxy.

The FTS mount that Vortex sells is made by ADM, some would say the next best FTS mount you can get next to LaRue.

Sir Stunna Lot
05-21-2012, 9:04 AM
probably one of the best "affordable" magnifiers