PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint on a SOCOM16 questions

savasyn
05-20-2012, 7:17 PM
I'll start off by saying that I'm not a great rifleman, but the results I'm getting beg some questions. I have an M1A SOCOM 16 that I've mounted an Aimpoint ML3 onto using the lowest mount I could find. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.stuff2see.net/images5/aimpoint.jpg

My first question is how much are these Aimpoint units effected by heat coming from the barrel? After 50 or so rounds, it's quite warm to the touch. About then, I also notice the point of impact at 100 yards shifting left and down 3-4" as well as the groups opening up.

With practice, I've been able to get 4"ish groups at 100 yards with this set up. That seems to be in the ball park given that it's a 2 MOA red dot mounted on a roughly 2 MOA rifle with a marginal shooter. The concerning part is that once things heat up, the groups shift over and down and open up. I've had a couple other people shoot the rifle and they get similar results as well.

I've been shooting off a "Lead Sled" in an attempt to remove as much of the human element as I can. I'm using ammo that I've loaded myself with 150gr Hornady FMJs over 43gr of 4064. I weigh every charge so they aren't off more than +.2gr per round.

Is this a common issue with M1As and Aimpoints? Any thoughts on what I could try to get the POI to stay the same or at least closer? It's a very fun rifle but it's been frustrating dealing with this issue.

Thanks!

MrPlink
05-20-2012, 8:09 PM
Of all the electronic sights out there, Aimpoints are probably the best when it comes to handling heat. Esp considering this isnt a FA gun we are talking about, you should be fine.

Average reports state that Socoms are 4moa guns, so looks like you are about where you should be.

With practice, maybe a magnified optic and better trigger you could probably shrink the groups down, but lets keep in mind this is not a precision rifle!

It is meant to be a handier version of its bigger (longer and heavier) brothers, with a focus on practical shooting.

savasyn
05-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Cool, thanks for the response. As I mentioned, it's not so much the size of the groups that I'm concerned about, but the fact that they start in one place and them move a few inches left and down. Good to know that the Aimpoints are supposed to be pretty heat resistant. Perhaps it's the barrel itself causing the issue.
As you say, it is fine for practical shooting and is by no means a precision rifle.

MrPlink
05-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Poi shift is probably from the barrel heating up, does it return to zero once cooled down?

savasyn
05-20-2012, 10:37 PM
I've not tried letting it cool then shooting it again during the same session. It does seem to be more or less where I expect it to be the next time I take it out which is what led me to believe it was a heat issue. Just didn't know if it was an issue with the Aimpoint, the barrel or both.
I'll have to try running it through a few heat cycles next time I take it to the range.
Thanks!