PDA

View Full Version : AR15 BCG jam/stuck forward

exp0zure
05-20-2012, 4:12 PM
Hey guys I just encountered this problem after shooting 60 rounds. Iíve put a a little under 500 rounds through it and no jams have ever happened.

Out in the desert I was doing some double taps (again I have done double taps in the past without a hitch), when I see that my BCG is stuck in the forward position and the charging handle will not pull it back; I put some muscle into pulling back and nothing! I also cannot field strip and pull the BCG out. Then I had the brilliant (sarcasm) idea maybe I can pull it by removing the buffer tube, now my buffer tube wonít screw back in.

Iím pretty sure it double fed and a live round is in there. I have been shooting Ammo Bros reloads.

Pics below. Any suggestions welcome, but I am also considering taking to the gunsmith to avoid and accidental discharge.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/exp0zure/IMG_20120520_160003.jpg
BCG not quite forward, not quite back

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/exp0zure/IMG_20120520_160013.jpg
magwell view

Prc329
05-20-2012, 4:20 PM
I had that happen recently. I blew my gas rings and it stuck in that position.

I ended up removing the front and rear take down pins and pulling the upper off. The I was able to get the BCG out. Once it was out I used an armorers wrench to remove the bolt and saw the gas rings were jacked and bone dry. Whoops.

FeuerFrei
05-20-2012, 4:42 PM
Google "mortaring method AR 15"
This will retract your carrier and may not extract the round. Cleaning rod down the pipe will do that.

morfeeis
05-20-2012, 4:47 PM
i know your pain, i had the same problem three weeks ago. Were you shooting steel cased ammo (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=571641)?

REIxD
05-20-2012, 4:50 PM
Maybe spent case above BCG. It happens and typically tightens everything up when the CH is yanked on. Just a thought, can you see any brass above BCG?

bloodhawke83
05-20-2012, 4:51 PM
That just happened to me at lunch time. Turned out it was carbon build up and the round was stuck unfired. Took a rod and had someone pull on the charging handle, that's when found out it wasn't fired.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

exp0zure
05-20-2012, 6:08 PM
Hey guys thanks for quick responses! After CC Gunsmithing gave me a bit of advice I decided to have a closer look. I thought a little bit and took a closer look at the upper. This time I pulled with a little more force in hopes the BCG would eject the ammo. Low and behold, it happened. Here’s the culprit. So I don’t even know what happened here or how the bullet got jammed.

BTW I was not shooting any steel case.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/exp0zure/IMG_20120520_165934.jpg

jayhuh
05-20-2012, 6:32 PM
Many years ago when I reloaded 223, I had some that came out looking like that. I figured that when seating a bullet on a resized case that was too long, it crushed the shoulder. When trying to chamber said crushed shoulder round, it tied up the gun requiring a lot of force to extract it from the chamber. I never had any problems after that when I began measuring and trimming cases, but that became too much of a pain the rear . I stopped reloading .223 because surplus stuff was so cheap.

AR-15 Rep
05-20-2012, 6:41 PM
I would make sure to function check that BCG and check it over real good, Yes the round may have jammed in there but with all the pulling etc, make sure everything still works well.

baih777
05-20-2012, 6:48 PM
take a good look at the feed ramps on the barrel and see if anything got damaged. look at the bolt also.

d4v0s
05-20-2012, 7:00 PM
So I donít even know what happened here or how the bullet got jammed.

I would doubt that the damage was done to the bullet by your gun. I would put money on that round looking like that when you put it in the magazine.

These were reloads? talk to the person you bought them from, they need to know and you should also get used to checking your ammo before using it.

I buy 5.56 500, or 1000 at a time and inspect each round while putting them into stripper clips and then into the card board holders. After finding some bullets that were seated too deep in a batch of american eagle, I inspect everything my AR feeds.

Josh3239
05-20-2012, 7:39 PM
That is why I always say remove the problem round, don't go banging away on the FA. It isn't chambering because there is a problem. If you have forced it to chamber, that could have been bad.

exp0zure
05-20-2012, 7:45 PM
I just did a quick function test and everything checks out. Thanks again guys! I plan on going into Ammo Bros in Cerritos and give them a polite heads up. Also gonna check the ammo before usage this time around!

glock7
05-20-2012, 9:22 PM
Had the same problem with some of my early reloads that were slightly out of spec. As stated above take mag out and pull take down pins and yank that charging handle down hard the bcg will pop out. Done deal. Good luck.

fighterpilot562
05-20-2012, 9:47 PM
Well at least its fixed now, i had a friend with a similar problem took us forever it seemed

Chaos47
05-20-2012, 9:49 PM
Glad you got it out safely. Crazy looking round!

Google "mortaring method AR 15"
This will retract your carrier and may not extract the round. Cleaning rod down the pipe will do that.

If you mortar with a collapsible stock please remember to collapse the stock first or you may end up with a broken stock and crushed fingers like this guy...

Note:Lots of Not Safe for Work Language used in this video! That is why I am linking not embeding
http://youtu.be/zpbyUqhBUGw

JUm3
05-21-2012, 3:16 AM
have you changed the magazine since your last time shooting? I had multiple double feeds that ended up being mag related: promags 10rd. I had multiple instances when the bolt got jammed forward and even the bullet tip would be shoved back into the brass.

Turned out the way the promags are, the feed lips were getting in the way up the bolt. Thats why its harder to load the mag with the bolt forward.

exp0zure
05-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Glad you got it out safely. Crazy looking round!

If you mortar with a collapsible stock please remember to collapse the stock first or you may end up with a broken stock and crushed fingers like this guy...

Note:Lots of Not Safe for Work Language used in this video! That is why I am linking not embeding
http://youtu.be/zpbyUqhBUGw

If you get your finger stuck in a collapsable stockÖyouíre gonna have a bad time. Geez that looked painful, I donít think the language can quite express how painful that was!

have you changed the magazine since your last time shooting? I had multiple double feeds that ended up being mag related: promags 10rd. I had multiple instances when the bolt got jammed forward and even the bullet tip would be shoved back into the brass.

Turned out the way the promags are, the feed lips were getting in the way up the bolt. Thats why its harder to load the mag with the bolt forward.

No not yet, been using the same mags Iíve had for awhile. Should I get some new mags?

JUm3
05-21-2012, 11:13 PM
no need to change them if they work. it was just a suggestion. The moment i switched to USGI and pmags, the malfunctions went away.

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Problem is
1st AR and desert dont mix lol.
2nd you were shooting brass and not steel lol.

Chaos47
05-21-2012, 11:34 PM
If you get your finger stuck in a collapsable stockÖyouíre gonna have a bad time. Geez that looked painful, I donít think the language can quite express how painful that was!

Hah great Southpark reference!

Yea I'm sure it hurt a ton, I warned about the language because Calguns is family friendly.

It was avoidable if he had just stopped and thought for a second to collapse it..

exp0zure
05-22-2012, 9:46 AM
Problem is
1st AR and desert dont mix lol.
2nd you were shooting brass and not steel lol.

http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/joffrey-clap.gif