PDA

View Full Version : Reload issue

kris smith
05-20-2012, 3:07 PM
I got some reloads from the gun show yesterday and I was shooting them in my ar and I have two out of about 100 make a huge cloud of white smoke when going off what causes this is it my gun or the ammo ? It only happened 2 times

DirtRacer151
05-20-2012, 3:12 PM
Did it pierce the Primers? Check the fired brass.

kris smith
05-20-2012, 3:17 PM
I tried to find the spent brass an look for that but I couldn't find any but my ar throws brass all diff directions

ExtremeX
05-20-2012, 3:19 PM
I doubt its the gun... check the fired brass like DirtRacer mentioned.

I was at the Gun Show as well... Curious: Which ammo was it and how much did you pay for it?

Edit: Keep shooting it but use some type of brass catcher so if it happens again, you check the round. You can also use a small cloth over the ejection port so your rounds fall on the ground next to you.

AK all day
05-20-2012, 3:19 PM
Did the smoke come out of the action or muzzle?

uxo2
05-20-2012, 3:20 PM
I hate gunshow reloads.....

Freagan
05-20-2012, 3:44 PM
Which brand of reloads were these?

kris smith
05-20-2012, 3:44 PM
I Dont Know what kind they were they we're 140 per 500 my brother in law boughth them and I'll try to catch the brass and one time the smoke came drone every where the other time it blew the floor plate off my mag and came out of the action every thing was covered in soot when I took it apart to clean an check every thing

DirtRacer151
05-20-2012, 3:55 PM
I Dont Know what kind they were they we're 140 per 500 my brother in law boughth them and I'll try to catch the brass and one time the smoke came drone every where the other time it blew the floor plate off my mag and came out of the action every thing was covered in soot when I took it apart to clean an check every thing

Sounds like you're popping primers. Could be loaded too hot for your gun.

If you did pierce a primer.. before you shoot next time take your firing pin out of the BCG and inspect the tip for damage or pitting. When the hot gasses shoot out of the hole they can act like a plasma cutter on the FP tip. If your tip is damaged you'll be piercing primers even on light loads..

IntoForever
05-20-2012, 3:56 PM
Sounds like an out of battery or pierced primers. If that's the case it's likely your gun unless rounds are over charged or the ammo is filthy. Please try to catch the brass and keep us updated on this, helps with the learning curve.

ExtremeX
05-20-2012, 4:00 PM
Sorry to hear...

Even 140 per 500 for reloads isn't that great of a deal. If I need budget .223 I usually just buy Wolf. I skipped buying any .223/5.56 this year at the show, prices were definitely inflated.

kris smith
05-20-2012, 4:06 PM
I buy wolf but steel don't work in my ar and I have had the bcg apart 3 times today because it was striking some and not setting it off figured it was the ammo but I meticulously cleaned the Bcg and the firing pin looks good it's smooth it worked great on all the other rounds I've put about 200 - 300 rounds through this upper and before I bought it the po who is a cal gunner put 300 through it I think te loads might be not loaded the same or some have weak primers

ExtremeX
05-20-2012, 4:15 PM
Since a replacement firing pin isnt that expencive, you might want to swap it out just to rule it out.

Still sounds more like a bad batch of reloads.

Hope you get all this sorted out.

Gun Shows: I have started collecting business cards and putting them with my purchases when I go to gun shows. I remember buying an NC Star scope once and it died so fast, but I have no idea who I bought it from. I also try to use my credit card more often, since I have some form of recourse.

kris smith
05-20-2012, 5:03 PM
Ya I'll try that thanks guys

Josh3239
05-20-2012, 5:46 PM
Sounds like an out of battery or pierced primers.

ARs cannot fire out of battery. They require more than 90% lock up for the firing pin to poke through bolt.

MrPlink
05-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Dont trust reloads from other folks, esp if its for commercial purposes

darqhelmet
05-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Dont trust reloads from other folks, esp if its for commercial purposes

This.

Glocker619
05-27-2012, 4:47 PM
I believe they were miwall reloads, I have used them before in my glock 22c with out many issues (besides a backwards perjectile).

But I will test the reloads in my AR for comparison. I only shot steel last time.