PDA

View Full Version : Big5 shotgun combo ??

rick_in_lb
05-07-2007, 9:50 PM
I am looking for a first shotgun. What do you think about the one on sale/special at Big 5. Serious I have no Idea. I want to try Trap and skeet at first if this helps. Just asking so don't shoot me.

caseselfloather
05-08-2007, 12:46 AM
if it's a mossberg 500, lots of people love that shotgun. great base gun that's pretty much equal to the remington 870. the extra barrel is nice too.

yeah, i'd say go for it. check out the gun first, of course. and, don't expect much from the big 5 people, because they're mostly useless.

Whitesmoke
05-08-2007, 6:29 AM
I have the Mossburg 500 combo from big 5...it's a decent gun and does its job. Never a single problem. They also have 870's at big-5....it's a good gun too.

hybridatsun350
05-08-2007, 7:13 AM
One of my buddies just bought the 870 security from Big 5 and it looks like a pretty good gun. I'm more of a Remington man myself, but there is nothing wrong with Mossberg's. I say get it! :)

joel1316
05-08-2007, 7:21 AM
If your going to try skeet, I would go with the the combo.
Then you'll have a long vent ribbed barrel and a shorter HD type barrel.

ibanezfoo
05-08-2007, 8:21 AM
if it's a mossberg 500, lots of people love that shotgun. great base gun that's pretty much equal to the remington 870. the extra barrel is nice too.

yeah, i'd say go for it. check out the gun first, of course. and, don't expect much from the big 5 people, because they're mostly useless.

+1 for the Mossberg 500. My wife still shoots her 20 ga. 500 and loves it. Hers came with three chokes, though we pretty much just leave the modified on there when we shoot trap. Dunno where you are, but you can head out to a place like Prado and shoot trap or skeet and rent a few guns to see what you like.

-Bryan

XeRoFuN
05-08-2007, 9:20 AM
BTW...do any of you guys know anything about the 'Charles Daly' shotguns I've seen at Big-5? I was thinking of picking one up, but I'm not sure of the quality.

Was curious about those shotguns too until I researched about them. Read some bad reviews. Plus, why get the Charles Daly when the Mossberg is roughly the same price...or a Remington for a little more.

To original poster, yeah, the combo is good. I was going to get that one, but got the 20" version instead. Was kicking myself because the combo went on sale the week I picked up mine. I ended up buying an 18.5" barrel and mag tube. I still use the 20" barrel for home defense though.

joel1316
05-08-2007, 9:29 AM
BTW...do any of you guys know anything about the 'Charles Daly' shotguns I've seen at Big-5? I was thinking of picking one up, but I'm not sure of the quality.

I bought one for the heck of it. When I tried putting the barrel into the reciever, it wouldn't go in?!?!? I had to dremel a part on the barrel before it would slide into the reciever. It didn't take much work or material. I love the shotgun though, points and shoots great for me. Its light and rifle sights works decently. I'm happy with it and is now my camping shotgun.

Baron
05-08-2007, 1:15 PM
I love my Mossberg 500.
My wife loves it to. She can handle the Mossberg 500 12 gauge without any problems at all. In fact now she wants one of her own... Apperently I tacticooled mine out too much for her...LOL... She doesn't want to be a mall ninja

Trempel
05-08-2007, 2:39 PM
I used to own a Mossberg 500 with a 7-shot tube. My brother in-law bought the combo deal - 5-shot tube, 18.5" IC barrel, 28" Modified choke barrel. They're great, durable, resonably priced guns. The long barrel is a fixed choke and it warns not to shoot steel shot through it, but we've used over a thousand rounds of steel shot without a problem. Maybe it'll blow up on us later. ;)
The 18.5" IC barrel patterns just as well as my 870P, which cost twice as much.

rick_in_lb
05-08-2007, 6:02 PM
Well now for the 10 DAY Wait! :mad: I had my son put it under his name because I have a little to much under mine:D We pick it up on the 19th and we will also go the the Ontario Gun Show to load up on some shells! I also found out that Carson Big5 does not sell rifles or shotguns so we had to go to Lakewood!
By the way , what is an ACCU-SET choke? Can I change these. Like I said I have no idea.

Phil Bole
05-08-2007, 6:56 PM
Ahhhhhh
The Big 5 $219.00 on sale Mossy Mini Persuader/500A with a hall clearing barrel AND an extra Jed Clampett barrel
One of the best bargains in America I tell ya
And an excellent 1st scatter gun too!!!

CHUCK-E
05-08-2007, 7:07 PM
I owned that combo also. I put about 500-700 rounds through it without a single problem b4 selling it to a buddy of mine. This maybe a negative to some but the 28" barrel I believe has a fixed Mod choke. For a first shotgun I say great buy!!! Have fun!!

Bob Loblaw
05-08-2007, 7:24 PM
The guy that taught the tactical handgun class I took recommended the Remington 870 over the Mossberg. He said over the years he'd taken Mossbergs to training courses and they didn't hold up as well. Having done a couple hours research I haven't found too many knocking the 870, so I'll probably end up with one soon for classes and HD. The Remington 11-87 Semi Auto sounds like a favorite too, but they cost more and auto's are reportedly less reliable, though they have improved over the years. Maybe I'll look into those more down the line for a second purchase. If I'm on the wrong track, let me know! Thanks.

daves100
05-08-2007, 7:25 PM
sell the extra barrel on gun broker makes the gun even cheaper

guimus
05-08-2007, 7:49 PM
I just dros'ed one yesterday. I tried out a friend's a couple weeks ago and hit 22 on the trap course(my 3rd time ever), so I figure this shotty will be more than enough for me.

Compact45
05-08-2007, 7:53 PM
I bought a 500A mossberg shotgun and shot 200 rounds in same day not even one problem happened its very reliable and extra barrel will give you option to play skeet and home defense for th 18.5" barrel that comes in it.

I also shot slug, 00 buck and buck its so amazing and got a lot fun on it.
I prefer mossberg 500 in my home defense and sports.

get one and you know what I mean.

joel1316
05-09-2007, 7:27 AM
By the way , what is an ACCU-SET choke? Can I change these. Like I said I have no idea.

It is a set of chokes designed for the Mossberg 500 and similar threads.
ACCU-SET (Accu Choke) is the name Mossberg gave their chokes.

Outlaw Josey Wales
05-09-2007, 8:54 AM
If I'm on the wrong track, let me know! Thanks.

From Wipkedia:

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements. However, the Remington 870 was not submitted to the military for the trials. Remington may have refrained from participating because they did not wish to risk their their already-strong reputation--winning a military contract would have had little impact on Remington's strong police and civilian market, but failing the mil-spec test could have had a serious negative impact on sales.

mow
05-09-2007, 9:11 AM
I thought that the accu set meant that the barrel did not accept accu choke tubes.

The mossy combo that I got at Big 5 does not take choke tubes.

joel1316
05-09-2007, 10:17 AM
The Big 5 Mossy Combo barrel are not threaded for chokes....

From the Mossberg site:
"ACCU-SET: Includes full, modified and improved cylinder choke tubes."

Trempel
05-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Yes, the long barrel is a fixed Mod choke. If you want screw-in chokes, the barrels are pretty cheap and available.

mcubed4130
05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I am looking for a first shotgun. What do you think about the one on sale/special at Big 5. Serious I have no Idea. I want to try Trap and skeet at first if this helps. Just asking so don't shoot me.

+1 on Mossberg 500 combo. 18.5" smooth = good for home defense #00 buck and/or slugs, 28" improved choke - vent ribbed = good for trap, clay, etc. #7.5 birdy. (Got mine on sale at Big5 also)

-M3

mcubed4130
05-09-2007, 1:06 PM
From Wipkedia:

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements. However, the Remington 870 was not submitted to the military for the trials. Remington may have refrained from participating because they did not wish to risk their their already-strong reputation--winning a military contract would have had little impact on Remington's strong police and civilian market, but failing the mil-spec test could have had a serious negative impact on sales.

:) This was stolen nearly word for word from... hmmm - I forget which gun magazine article that I got last month (too many gun mags at my house!)

Anyway... this is also why in general "tactical classes" for us Civvy's tend to have instructors who favor the Remington (as most of the Tactical Instructors I've seen tend to be LEO or retired LEO).

Conversely on the few classes I've seen offered by ex-Military - they all tend toward Mossbergs.... (gee wonder why).

It should also be noted that the Mossberg 590A1 is the only Mossberg - that Mossberg sells - in the same configuration to both the Civilians and the Military. Example, by far the greatest number of shotguns that the Military has purchased was the Mossberg 500 not the 590! :eek:

But the Mossberg 500 that Mossberg sells to the Military has the 590 clean-out tube style magazine in 5 shot form (to my knowledge this doesn't exist for the Civilian market)... and the safety for the Mossberg 500 for the Military uses a metal safety not the plastic one for the Civilian market.

-M3

Outlaw Josey Wales
05-09-2007, 3:38 PM
:) This was stolen nearly word for word from... hmmm - I forget which gun magazine article that I got last month (too many gun mags at my house!)

American Rifleman, Mossberg's Military Shotguns!

fairfaxjim
05-09-2007, 9:31 PM
I've had the Big-5 Mossberg combo for several years now. I have had no problems with it. I have used both barrels, the 28" for shooting clays, and the 18 1/2" for shooting slugs and 00 buck. I have added a B-Square scope mount to it, and have a red dot sight on that for shooting slugs. It is very accurate at 50 yards with the slugs - kills old propane tanks in one shot:D I have even shot clays with the short barrel and red dot - makes it "interesting" to figure out the lead with a red dot.
For the price it is a very usable shotgun.
:)

1911_sfca
05-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I have both the Mossberg 500 combo and the Remington 870.

For the purposes of trap shooting and home defense combined, the Mossberg would be most economical (considering the extra barrel).

If I were going to buy one gun for home defense, it would be the 870. Feels more solid to me, and I like the action better.

The 870's steel receiver (as opposed to the Mossberg's aluminum one) adds heft, so on the plus side it has less felt recoil. On the minus, if you don't have much upper body strength it might cause fatigue holding it up.

cxs2
05-10-2007, 6:52 AM

Stay away from Big5. They sell poor guns with generally unknowledgeable staff. Go to a reputable hunting store like www.wooleyssportinglife.com. I don't know where you live but his shop is in Walnut Creek. Pete, the owner, runs a clean operation and can spend time with you about what you really need.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would buck-up and spend a grand or so on my first shotgun right at the start. If you get a cheap one you are just going to buy another that you like better. Trap is really fun and you will get hooked.

Look into the Berretta AL391. It is a great entry level shotgun and very versatile. Also, don't forget to get it fitted by a reputable gun fitter.

Good luck!

Phil Bole
05-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Stay away from Big5. They sell poor guns with generally unknowledgeable staff.

I've bought a Mossberg 500A, a Model 700 7MM, and a Beretta 1201FP
You think those are "poor guns"???
:rolleyes:

What if he does his research
Makes his choice
Goes looking for best deal???
I think the Big 5 deal would be hard to beat

Whitesmoke
05-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Stay away from Big5. They sell poor guns with generally unknowledgeable staff.

Most (not all) gun shops have unknowledgable staff (even when they think they know something....lol).

And big5 guns are not usually top of the line (they usually have their own stripped down version of many popular guns that the mfg's sell only to them).....but they are not poor quality either. Just not top of the line....

mark3lb
05-11-2007, 8:32 AM
I'd go with the 870 over the mossburg combo.

pilejay
05-11-2007, 8:40 AM
Stay away from Big5. They sell poor guns with generally unknowledgeable staff. Go to a reputable hunting store like www.wooleyssportinglife.com. I don't know where you live but his shop is in Walnut Creek. Pete, the owner, runs a clean operation and can spend time with you about what you really need.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would buck-up and spend a grand or so on my first shotgun right at the start. If you get a cheap one you are just going to buy another that you like better. Trap is really fun and you will get hooked.

Look into the Berretta AL391. It is a great entry level shotgun and very versatile. Also, don't forget to get it fitted by a reputable gun fitter.

Good luck!

They might not sell the top the line guns but their good enough to shoot with.

-aK-
05-11-2007, 9:54 AM
An interesting read on 500/590 vs 870

I've heard a similar opinion from another source as well.

Kinda like FORD and CHEVY... they are both american so you can't go wrong. They'll both do the job if you do your job, they have slight differences.

Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500 (http://members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html)

Baron
05-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah I read that too. It's actually a really good read

Rob454
05-11-2007, 1:48 PM
Most (not all) gun shops have unknowledgable staff (even when they think they know something....lol).

And big5 guns are not usually top of the line (they usually have their own stripped down version of many popular guns that the mfg's sell only to them).....but they are not poor quality either. Just not top of the line....

Where do you guys come up with this? you really think that a manufacturer is gonna make a sub quality gun for a sporting goods store? Give me a break. I bought a Big 5 combo and I have another mossberg 500 that i bought in Texas from a different gun store. there is NO difference between them as far as components. i dont know where people get this crap. its jsut liek people telling me that the Walmart fishing lures are not the same lures you buy at the regular fishing store. WHAT?????????
Rob

timmy8151
05-11-2007, 2:38 PM
Where do you guys come up with this? you really think that a manufacturer is gonna make a sub quality gun for a sporting goods store? Give me a break. I bought a Big 5 combo and I have another mossberg 500 that i bought in Texas from a different gun store. there is NO difference between them as far as components. i dont know where people get this crap. its jsut liek people telling me that the Walmart fishing lures are not the same lures you buy at the regular fishing store. WHAT?????????
Rob

That guy is just a gun snob. If your shotgun didnt cost $1k+ then it must be crap.

Baron
05-18-2007, 9:06 AM
The only difference between the 500 or 870 and the high dollar $1000+ Shotguns... Is the high dollar ones look better when they miss then the others do when they hit... LOL J/K

Actually from everything that I've read the 870 and the 500/590 shoot pretty much the same. The only true difference is the 870 is heavier and has a different Saftey set up.
-870 saftey is near trigger/ 500A top of reciever
-Remington reciever is steel / Mossberg is alluminum
-870 metal trigger guard / 500A plastic

It's kinda the argument Chevy vs. Ford...

Personally I love my 500A. It's fun to shoot Trap with... So much fun my Wife wants one for herself....

ibanezfoo
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
I have an 870 Wingmaster, Mossberg 500, and 590. I agree that it really is a Ford vs. Chevy argument. I like them all equally and don't really see any as superior as another... they are just a bit different... and I can't hit more than 10 clays out of 25 with any of em' (dunno about the 590 actually, its not really a sporting gun....maybe I should try it...) haha :D

-Bryan